"Effect & Focus" - Runes, Jewels, Power Imbues & Sockets

I suggest changing the rune mechanic from “Trigger & Effect” to “Effect & Focus
This will make effects always usable.

While at it, change the “runes” in d4 to be “Jewels”.
So we have Effect Jewels and Focus Jewels.

This frees runes to be the Consumable items mentioned in blog post - “consuming” a rune would be etching it to the weapon.

And now runes can also be merged to construct more complex runes (Like in d2, but actually very different).

What do you think?

3 Likes

I like the idea. It could work with the new powers too.

2 Likes

They could allow us to move the affixes of a charm to a non-legendary item. This would compete with the new item they created as a way to choose between a legendary affix or the affixes of the rune: quality or quantity.

1 Like

Let the charms into the charm bag.

Add gems, jewels and more socketable items with different kind of functions.
Add skulls sockets back as well.

Profit.

2 Likes

I changed this in original post to Jewels of Effect & Focus.
Once we do that, we can get back to skulls. (Oh, I loved them so much! Good reminding!)

I agree charms should not take the place of power and effect - but instead serve in their own mechanic (Maybe in a future expansion?)

When they talk about the new item to add a legendary power, i thought it would be socketed in the item, and i think that could be an interesting thing to balance it.

Regardless of it being socketed or not socketed, i think that be able to use jewels (you are right, not the charms) as an alternative to the new item, could be an interesting idea to explore. It gives the desicion of a legendary affix or more affixes.

1 Like

I think they meant the extra affix of their consumable to be in addition to other affixes.

But maybe a new “upgradeable” or “this item can be etched” (with place for rither Simple, Moderate and Complex runes to etch on) can balance the number of affixes.

Jewels for Focus and Effect would have place as well - and everything is balanced to and # of affixes (Especially if you don’t allow etching and jeweling on the same item)

Also, the more we talk, the more I’m convinced Charms are not relevant for this thread.