About the legendary consumable (D4)

I don’t really like it? Yeah, I know they are trying to “help” rares become as good (or with luck better) than legendaries, but I don’t really like the idea that to fix a rare you basically transform it into a legendary, I feel like that kills the difference between the types…

I still think the better solution would be to have legendaries as the better items for specific situations while rares are the more generic options, for example:

We have the same helmet in two rarities, legendary and rare, they happen to roll the same modifiers:

• Increased life;
  • All resistances;
  • Increased Mana recovery;

Except that while the legendary one has:

• Killing frozen enemies causes them to shatter dealing X cold damage to an area.

The rare one has:

• Faster cast rate.

It’s not clear which one is best, I might not be playing a cold based sorcerer, or maybe my choice of skills doesn’t freeze enemies enough, or maybe I’m against a boss that doesn’t have adds meaning that the effect won’t be used during the fight.

I feel like that would be sufficient to add value to rares without reducing the difference between the types.

Opinions?

2 Likes

I like your direction!
But if we revert to some form of runes (Not the Effect/Trigger/Focus* type), that allow us to build rune words - I think Yellows would be better suited rather than Uniques/Legendaries.

Source

1 Like

Sure, that could be a thing, I just like the idea of there being a trade-off from choosing to use the legendaries, giving a reason not to use them in some way.

1 Like

I actually like the idea of the legendary consumable.

Like I assume if we try to use another on the same item then we change the effect to the new one.

This means you can get the perfect item for your build and then when you decide to swap it up a little you can potentially keep your really good base item and just craft the new legendary feature onto it.

Pretty interesting for crafting and I’m not very big on crafting generally.

I assume this would also help making the legendary effects more accessible and give players a clear path to making the build they want but still have quite a lot of build variety even within players using the same legendary effects.

I see your point but I just don’t like the idea of must have legendaries/effects for a build, I feel like they should be more like an option instead of a requirement.

Also D3 kinda of killed that “special” feeling on legendaries due to the high amount of drops, I would rather prefer the rares to be completely viable and the legendaries being these rarer items with special (but not overpowering) effects.

3 Likes

Yea uh my take atm is, making them just unique again, without the skill altering power and let ppl use the consumable everywhere
So the unique differs by its stat allocation and isnt overpowered in the first place

Your idea is good too but i like the consumable idea so…that could save them :smiley:

Or as someone mentioned, just put the consumables with a max amount of like 3 (it would become ridiculous if you are full of legendary powers on your gear) directly on your character via slots/in your skilltree

2 Likes

Oh, I like the idea, leave items for stats and use the special skill effects directly on the characters, kinda of like the Kanai cube, but without stacking that on top of the uniques you already have equipped (and hopefully no absurd effects either)

Another thing they could look into is the original D3 rune system that they displayed on some early concepts, runes wouldn’t be just selectable on the skill screen after a certain level but rather dropped and “equipped” on the skills for the different effects.

Maybe doing so but limiting the number such runes you can have equipped and adding a “default” rune that just improves the skill without really changing it could be a interesting system.

Yea i kinda like skill altering options
Looting them would be cool and could also be updated more easily as when bound to an item

Maybe they could even add quality to the runes (I think they had it in the concepts), adding some type of progression to them.

Yea thats also cool
I imagine it like charms dropping and you put them in slots in your inventory

In Diablo 2, a top rolled rare could be amazing stats. People would use them.

In D4, the consumable to improve rares makes it more likely that rare’s will be used in peoples builds.

I don’t see why you are against this.

1 Like

We have multiple posts about this
It simply takes away the purpose of legendary items, as they are atm

Because I think rares should be fine without the special effects, and that the effect are a defining characteristic of the legendaries.

As I said I would like rares to be good as they are, rares, not having to upgrade them into some pseudo-legendary for it to be useful.

Also I don’t like the whole idea of must-have effects for certain builds to work, so they suggesting to add such effects on even more items is not an idea I enjoy.

I don’t see a problem with upgrading rares. It makes rares useful.

In D3, rares are useless. Nobody cares about an item which by the definition of its own name is supposed is supposed to be rare - valuable.

They’re trying to make rares valuable again. But for that to happen, rares need to be able to compete against legendaries.

I see a problem when they need to stop being regular rares to become useful.

1 Like

Kinda suggested 2 possible routes for Legendaries themselves

1. Make them able to do higher/harsher power shifts than other items (i.e. things like +100 Ancestral power, -30 to Demonic and Angelic) kind of things
  2. Make them able to craft one additional legendary affix but with 50% power, therefore legendaries would be 1.5x legendary affix compared to rares… :thinking: :slight_smile:

I see some people suggesting let them have more affixes, tbh wouldn’t like to read a holy script unveil at one item lol, just make them what other items do just 80-100% more drastically and/or harsher, OR (as mentioned before) make them do 1.5x legendary affix instead of only 1 :slight_smile:

What’s really stopping them? We’re talking about the same mindset that set a slot machine turning rares into legendary items. “But they’re not the same developers”, still same mindset; they gonna copy D3 and water it down more where ever it applies. They ain’t listening any kind of feedback, nor gave a sign towards that at all so far.

Compete, sure, but for that rares don’t need to also become legendaries (by adding the special effects), the special effects need to be toned down so that they actually compete with regular modifiers instead of overpowering everything else on the item.

Legendary doesn’t have to mean more powerful, just different, feels like this whole issue began when they were renamed from uniques.

1 Like

u gotta be careful
132974798 effects on your char would turn D4 into PoE

Well, u got like what 7 item slots ?, that means at max 14 :smiley: but guess makes sense what you wanted to say if you have 7 with 7 additional procs as well

However, would kinda still prefer that over an item that has a holy script of affixes :slight_smile: