What should D4 retain from D3/D2?

At some point you will find all items rolled the way you want it. Im ok with an infinite power creep but done in a way that newcomers can still play as damage dealers after contributing enough time.

No mercs. Hate mercs.

I want Mystic, and Kanai Cube will make it into D4 as well.

“Greater Rift” is pretty much will make it to D4, so I am fine with it.

2 Likes

I want to feel like I can actually “complete” a build.

I know this is not a unified opinion, but I do think it is a majority.

1 Like

As long as its capped at a reasonable number Or anything after a certain level is cosmetic for portraits etc.

1 Like

As it’s fitting here, I’d like to link my idea for implementing the changes suggested by David Kim, and retaining the good from D2: “Effect & Focus” - Runes, Power Imbues & Sockets: Mechanic suggestion

In short:
I suggest changing the rune mechanic from “Trigger & Effect” to “Effect & Focus
This will make effects always usable.

While at it, change the “runes” in d4 to be “Jewels” (Or “Charms”).
So we have Effect Jewels and Focus Jewels.

This frees runes to be the Consumable items mentioned in blog post - “consuming” a rune would be etching it to the weapon.

And now runes can also be merged to construct more complex runes (Like in d2, but actually very different).

2 Likes

Would you advocate some form of controlling the mercenary, or are they just a little bit of extra umphf added? I like how the companions on the druid have both a passive effect (summoning the wolves to fight for you) and an active effect (granting increased chance to critical strike on focused target)

Aside from those two cents, I’m staying faaaar away from this thread war baiting thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

And it was a bandaid when it comes out and stills being one.

D2:
Resistances on monsters (seriously, do it! No immuneties however)
Limited respeccing (though not as limited)
Mercs

D3:
Combat flow

There are plenty of things that could, to some degree, be taken from both games, just heavily altered.
Like the idea of somewhat affecting dropped gear, like the Mystic in D3, is good. But maybe not to the degree, and with little effort, that you could with the Mystic. Visiting the Mystic was pretty much the first thing you did whenever equipping a new item.
Also nothing wrong with GRifts in D3, they are only bad because they are the single end-game option. There must be very different types of end-game, to allow for different types of builds to be viable. It cant all be timed runs.
Likewise with D2 boss runs.

1 Like

Nothing at all from Diablo 3

It should do what Diablo 3 didn’t do, and be an updated, modernized clone of Diablo 2

They should also keep and expand upon the consumables (ramaladni’s gift).
Like, if there was a series of consumables in D3 that could be collected and then used on ancient items. Making them a little better with each use until the ancient transforms into a primal.
1 consumable for resetting the mystic reroll status.
1 consumable for a guaranteed higher roll when enchanting (of the same stat).
1 consumable that adds 1 extra primary affix to the item once it is primal (max of +1 extra affix).

If they made primals crafted items through the use of consumables instead of very rare drops, i would be happy. I would know that i can always get a small upgrade to my gear from investing time into the game, instead of relying on rare luck. It would have to take quite a bit of time to craft one primal though, so that we cannot max out our builds too quickly.
It would be like PoE i know, but without the RNG element. Rewarding time instead of luck. And they shouldn’t be tradeable.
They could have some sort of system like this in D4 where there is only 1 tier for each legendary type (leg, set or mythic), with the consumables being the long-term grind instead of the gear itself, used to turn them into primals.

No. PLEASE GOD NO. No more of this foolishness that creates power creep with people being level 2345. It’s so stupid.

1 Like

As it’s fitting here, I’d like to link my idea for implementing the changes suggested by David Kim, and retaining the good from D2: “Effect & Focus” - Runes, Power Imbues & Sockets: Mechanic suggestion
In short:
I suggest changing the rune mechanic from “ Trigger & Effect ” to “ Effect & Focus
This will make effects always usable.
While at it, change the “runes” in d4 to be “Jewels” (Or “Charms”).
So we have Effect Jewels and Focus Jewels .
This frees runes to be the Consumable items mentioned in blog post - “consuming” a rune would be etching it to the weapon.
And now runes can also be merged to construct more complex runes (Like in d2, but actually very different).

This is seriously a Brilliant idea!

I’d love to see this actually implemented into the game.

It could also prompt the return of ‘rune-wards’
As etching a specific order of runes would alter the item you appended them to, completely.

It could even be made more streamlined, where the player could combine runes before hand through crafting to make a rune-ward etching consumable.

1 Like

I would like to see runes, runewords and socketable grey items return

1 to 6 socket weapons depending on the type
1 to 5 socket shields and 1-4 socket armors from Diablo II

WHAT SHOULD D4 RETAIN FROM D3

ONLINE ONLY MODE, to keep patching consistant and avoid and OFFLINE dupes / hacks and to prevent the split of playerbase between OFFLINE/ONLINE.

1 Like

Nothing they should learn from them and all the modern ARPGs and make D4 into a massive world with new modern ARPG mechanics. Stop living in the past

1 Like

omg yes… it was so tedious to only be able to pick up one or two items and return to town cuz your inventory was full of charms…

yes i think that’s what some us mean about Diablo 1 & 2 darkness. Having only the light radius to light up a certain amount of area and being able to barely see what’s outside of that. definitely gave it that eerie vibe!

If there is a paragon system, perhaps certain points allow you to open up charm slots, equipping your charms within the paragon system rather than inventory?

Why do you constantly repeat yourself?

I am advising what i would like to see retained from D3 thats all. I think its a great model of implementation and it should continue as it has so many advantages