Economics tell us "Why personal loot is better"

Haha. I beat you to the whole spiritual successor thing.

Wait what, your post is now above mine.

1 Like

So play PoE? This is diablo 2, the game that made the genre big, with it’s unique loot system and many years of people willing to grind the same content because of it, it literally has people wanting to play it now and realistically it’s not the skills, they aren’t that special, its the loot system… why mess with it.

Poe has to churn out constant broken seasons just to keep people engages, if Diablo 2 didn’t make my eyes bleed I would still play it with the bots going.

I think we are discussing the idea of giving players choices in D2R. Don’t like auto-gold pick up, turn it off. Even if you do not agree with the merits of timed loot or personal loot, others find these systems to have worth. Having a selectable option does not remove the option to have a D2-style FFA loot.

1 Like

Well, why don’t you just keep playing Diablo 2 on old Bnet if it’s fine and doesn’t need to be messed with?

This is Diablo 2: Resurrected. They already added auto-gold pickup and a shared stash. Right off the bat they made changes to the game. It’s not pure D2 anymore.

3 Likes

Yes so let’s fundamentally change the greatest aRPG because PoE players can’t click fast enough. You keep saying play old D2, I would if my eyes didn’t bleed, that’s how great the system is.

Let me ask this:

If tomorrow Blizzard says they will add 3 loot options for game creators, will you refuse to buy D2:R?

1 Like

Nope but I would cut out the players not contributing which when I did runs was 80% of people, I don’t think you understand the consequences in a quick rush based game… you think this is PoE, you still compare it to PoE, you do not understand the aspects of D2 farming.

Just look at baal runs, even in the prime most players would join in and hide in a safe corner, I now have no incentive to have them join me, at least before they couldn’t touch most spots without running into combat, now it doesn’t matter. They will now suck off my pool of items with no consequence of them being close to action or not. I now don’t need these people at all, I don’t fear someone else strong taking my loot, I cut you out.

1 Like

3 loot options would increase the mass appeal of D2R and would make me happy. It would be a win-win-win

2 Likes

I think the majority of the player base feels the same way.

D2: Resurrected is about bringing life BACK to a game that is mostly on life support (or bot support lol).

Maybe my numbers are skewed or inaccurate, but when I log on USEAST, I see maybe 30 public games on each difficulty and almost all of them are power-leveling games (Trist, Tombs, Chaos-Baal, Cow Chants, etc…). And most of them are bot driven FFA pile-ons that skip most of the game content in favor of a small amount of high drop% areas while a bot spams ads for some item-selling website.

That’s what the game is now - it’s like going to some Chucky Cheese place, getting inside a giant glass tube and trying to grab as many prize tickets as you can while a wind machine blows them all up and around you in the air. lol

1 Like

I agree but if they cut out maphack information access, which they said they are hiding more information, and opening up other information. That will eliminate most useful bots, they can still function but they will have much higher travel times. Duping is the big one as well which should be easier to eliminate. Bots will work for fixed areas quite well I imagine, like pindleskin. The question too is are drop rates increased based on how many bots/dupes affected the old loot table. Bots and the bad resolution hurts diablo 2 more than anything else, especially personal vs FFA loot.

David Brevik –

"Probably, my top three things that I think I would do differently in diablo 2, and they aren’t much.

Number 1. Stamina bar

Number 2. Auto-gold pickup (laughter)

Number 3. Individual, you know, loot. Instanced loot.

I think those three things alone would make the game, but wouldn’t really fundamentally change the game that much, but would be much better than the way it is now. You know make it more a cooperative kind of experience."

This is not accurate

2 Likes

You still don’t bring any counters to anything I have said, I would just appreciate how these issues would be rectified, but that has not happened to any of my points at all. Just hey look at this and ignore the situation I just laid out.

As of now, the answer seems to me no. Drop rates are unlikely to change until Blizzard gets a better sense of the economy.

Like FFA drops, personal drops require the player to be close as the monster dies. Nothing changes in that regard.

The PoE business model is different. It is free to play. They are constantly producing content to keep player engagement so that players will buy more “stuff” like stash tabs. Diablo 2 is how old and how many patches does it have. There is a difference when it is a one-time (or 2 time) purchase versus being supported by microtransactions. Also, you could make the broken season argument about D3.

1 Like

Yes but like I said before 80% of people are usually XP leechers and just improving my drop chance, now they are guaranteed to take away from my drops, and gain XP, that makes rushing lower level characters less appealing. Stronger characters will start getting into more and more private games, cutting out newcomers more than D2 ever did. There are consequences that need to be addressed and addressing them isn’t just an equation.

Oh my lord, is this still going on? This topic is getting out of control and spammed everywhere on the forums now. Most of the comments I’ve seen come off incredibility cringey and borderline psychotic, from both sides. Look, a good portion of D2 fans want something a tad bit more fair than a fastest click wins system to loot distribution in multiplayer, myself included. Is personal loot it? Who really knows for sure but the devs, if they felt that they could balance it fairly to account for all sides concerns. People need to accept and make peace that at launch, it will not be there. There will be no crazy intermixed weird choose game option on one server. Whatever devs decide to do about modern implementations would be AFTER launch, and I would speculate on it’s own gamemode expansion like fork where any new balancing concerns or more modern content will be implemented.

Egads, give it a rest. I’d rather speculate now what could come in the future (realistically - aka no major unique concepts from popular mods), or people keep sharing any little drip of info they come upon as we eagerly await more official info and release.

1 Like

Gonna stop you right here, random.number generators especially old ones tend to have patterns that can be exploited. Diablo II is obviously using an old RNG system.

And RNG is not a substitute for something like a powerball drawing which is actually random because it is a physical thing deciding the numbers.

An RNG system from back in 2000 era definitely has patterns that could result in 3 mega all jackpots in a row.

And in the future don’t compare a computer based RNG system to real life randomness they are not the same.

Computer based random number generators are amazing bits of tech and they allow us to play video games. But they are not true randomness.

I would say if its personal loot then there will need to be an equation to give the strongest/most damage dealing person the greatest odds, otherwise again your just de-incentivizing strong players from player with lower players. You start diminishing lower players odds enough to make it worth the stronger player helping, does it not become more frustrating for the lower player? Like just ideas to compensate for D2’s unique loot hunting system, this isn’t PoE, strong players only need low level players to increase drop chance, you start hurting the drops it takes away from the rusher. why would they engage anywhere as much as they did before?

I belive loot sharing in a “guild” or “faction” type setup in an MMORPG type deal such as WOW isn’t inherently bad. The “Need Before Greed” method has worked back in my time running ICC 25 mans before my retirement after Cataclysm. If you where in a guild you would want your more ill equipped members to get the gear they need to benefit the guild over all, But how would you expect something like that to work in a game where games built around “rushing” are formed, where one guy is carrying everyone else for XP and no one else is close to meeting the same amount of DPS or level requirement for that boss. Or how would you justify magic find as a stat in that scenario? Would it stack based on everyone who invested into it and spit out equipment based on that? Someone with absolutely no magic find gets a Windforce just cause based on someone else’s magic find stat, is that fair? The way I see it is if your doing actual damage and are close enough to get to the loot before the free loaders, then it is well earned. This is a clear comparison to realworld capitalism vs communism and if you work harder you should be rewarded better period. Just like trickle down economics, there have been plenty of “free” games where a ladder season ended or a mule was full where people would just drop free goods that where unwanted or unneeded on the ground. So please explain why if I leveled more efficiently than you, spent more in game hours than you, stacked magic find higher than you, that you feel entitled to the same loot as me?

Copied from:
Item Generation Tutorial - Diablo Wiki
"Drops, however, are not the same. When you kill a monster in a multiplayer game, the game calculates a number to use as the nodrop exponent. This is not simply N.

• It counts 1 for you, the killing player.
  • It counts 1 more for each player that is (a) partied with you and (b) within two screens of you.
  • It counts 0.5 for each other player, either unpartied or far away.
  • It rounds the final total down."

Personal loot could work the same way. Monster hp does increase per player (in 8 player game monster hp is 450%). Monster hp is not 8X is an 8 player game.

Again you never address my scenarios at all, why would I bring anyone in a rush that is just going to hurt me, you do remember most of D2 is some kind of rushing, with at least 50-80% leechers, they are no benefit to me, hurting me with every single kill. You do remember them basically being useless, standing in the corner. Sure they can keep close enough to gain personal drops but without a damage requirement they could be uber leechers, way worse than before, or like I continually say it will force me to play with players that actually contribute to killing speed, therefore giving me more drops.