Disappointed with Tech Alpha

just going to throw out that this game does have ray tracing, or what appears to be ray tracing anyways, you can see some absolutely gorgeous reflections in arcane sanctuary.

it looks absolutely beautiful… the OP is nuts…

He was also 20 or 21 at the time. The only difference between him and you damage wise should be that he had made a Leaf out of a staff with +3 fireball, giving him +6 in the skill, but even still, without that, he was still doing higher damage than that without it lol

What was your skill placement, if you don’t mind grabbing your skill choices?

https://i.imgur.com/JDcPbZy.jpg

I have two 2H staffs with cold damage that would be nice if sorc started out with cold damage instead of fire.

It’s typical for Sorc in Act3 desire of Act4 being lvl 25 and switching to blizzard sorc on respec.
And this being stuck in Act2 max is what it is.

It’s really about chest pounding getting your sorc from lvl 21 to 30 in the Tech Alpha.
Normally, I’m lvl 30 doing Baal runs.

I don’t wish to waste a few hours farming xp in tomb runs to unnaturally be lvl 30 in Act2.

However, go for it if you want to have fun and the bragging rights!

Dunno, honestly, I play Paladin / Assassin typically, not much sorc. I didn’t get in so i dont’ really know what it feels like but I watched three difference players play sorc on their streams and it seemed fine.

1 Like

It’s just my personal opinion.

I am seeing things vastly different than the ones upset in this OP.

It is interesting what makes ppl mad and post angry things.

I just said I didn’t like it, and was under whelmed by the whole thing.

but it is a Alpha and I shouldn’t get my hopes dashed right out of the box as it is.

1 Like

Just to clarify, can you explain your expectations for the alpha? I’m one of those who thinks it looks amazing (besides some stuff that has to be addressed). Do you have any specific examples of what you expected vs what you got? Perhaps it will make it easier to understand your disappointment

I switched to legacy mode D2 alot after the ‘clunky’ feeling of D2R.

Taking down bosses was done in legacy mode and drinking potions as well after I figured that out.

People say they are two identical games playing identically.
Not true.

Legacy D2 plays smoother than D2R in many way…

Also the waypoints on map are hard to make out.
The wells look like waypoints on the mini map.

Looking for the symbol at the door to the tombs was not easy when I was going for the Duriel kill.

It’s just an overall feeling.

It’s a personal feeling is all.

I don’t think OP understands how the new graphics engine is laid on top of D2.

What does that mean?

You hit ‘G’ in order to switch between the two.
I have a GTX 1070 TI and 32 gb of SDRAM.

What are you getting at?

Is this guy complaining about the base game? That its worse than LOD?

It hasn’t changed dude.

1 Like

“Legacy Mode” is the exact same game just without the graphics update. If you are feeling one as clunkier than the other that is a perception not reality

2 Likes

I watched Dbrunski on his opening stream with his sorc, and then some this morning for his youtube vid of playing the Barbarian. One of the comments he kept making while playing the Sorc was being getting used to the graphics and how different it felt, and was taking him awhile to get used to. Considering the amount of time he has played the game (probably more than me, and I’ve played since OG Non-Expac launch with a 7 year hiatus). To my eyes, it played pretty much the same (at least from a spectator view) with subtle differences.

Sorc is just a pain in the rear to level. She’s grindey as hell until you hit the desired skill you want (for me, it is 30 for FO), she’s mana hungry to play until you get certain items to up her mana regen and pool, and she is squishy to boot. Perhaps it has been some time since you leveled a fresh sorc, perhaps it is the time you spent OG and eyes are having a hard time adjusting. I know when I watch a tv that has 120 refresh rate as opposed to 60, things look really jankey and “too smooth” to me. Even when I went from a 1080p to 4k tv and was gaming (like FF7 remake) it is jarring on the eyes.

1 Like

Then why do potions fill up twice as fast in legacy over D2R?

That is real.

In the OG game yes they fill faster. If you press “G” to go to “legacy mode” you are playing the exact same game as you are with the fancy graphics.

This is all assuming you are using correct verbiage and not saying “legacy mode” is Diablo 2 not-ressurected

1 Like

I agree the game is much improved… All his points are very strange and inaccurate imo. QOL changes like stackable runes and charm invy would go a long way but other than that im very pleased with the current build.

1 Like

u were high playing? cuz there wasnt any balance changes lmao

1 Like

This is at the cold plains waypoint as I hit ‘G’ showing differences!

SS of D2R mode between a ‘well’ and a ‘waypoint’
https://i.imgur.com/JoybZI6.jpg

SS of legacy mode between same ‘well’ and a ‘waypoint’
https://i.imgur.com/SKiEuxB.png

Giant difference showing ‘legacy’ mode is much better than ‘D2R’.

Shall I go on to show you more evidence of big video differences?

I prefer the new one tbh, but personal opinions will always differ. There are obviously stuff I want them to do better than what is currently in the alpha, but most of those things are stuff I expect them to do because they look unfinished. For this being an alpha I think it’s very, very promising. Had it been the finished game it would be different

1 Like

What are you showing us that we are supposed to see is better in the legacy version???

2 Likes

It’s exactly the same game with a new graphics engine running over the top. All of the backend timings are exactly the same. There are currently no backend engine changes affecting how the game “feels”.

Your perception of the Sorc now being too weak is not even a real thing.