Diablo IV - An Argument for Limited Respecs and Choices with Gravity - Feedback

So? There are legendaries in D4 too, and many will be for your class but not for the skill path you selected. “Build changing” legendaries, not “delete your char and level a new one so it can actually use that” legendaries.

1 Like

items are there to enhance your build, not define your build
when i play a fire sorc and i find a legendary staff, that changes my blizzard skill
i will just keep farming and not go like “oh well…RNG decided!”
what small self determination can a human being have?

Imo, you should be able to respec - but for a price. You should be forced to earn respecs.

Heck, the respec can even be done over loot.

sure. i think thats even the best way to do it. those tokens could be bound or even a good way to make money via trading. so our flip flop D3 boys will make some ppl rich, who actually know what they want to play, lol.

why are you complaining about a game you dont play?

That is simply not true.
Games that want to ‘challenge’ people are doing better than ever. Rogue-likes, rogue-lites, Souls-likes etc.

That is not how game design works. Closing your eyes does not make things go away.

Indeed.

Respeccing is fine, but it must be limited by cost and time.

The sad part of this thread, is that for me not being able to re-spec a character actually destroys my immersive experience.

Take my female DH that is currently in the active season.

That Demon Hunter has existed since I bought the game at release. She was the second character I had ever created (Female Wizard was first).

I have played and played and PLAYED that character. Why?

Because I can make changes. Because I have the power of choice and changing my mind.

I feel connected to her, and will probably never delete that character.

Now. Take the viewpoint of the OP of the thread. You cannot re-spec a character.

So you screw up let’s say. Ok, delete and trash that character.

Oh, you want to change your setup because you found X piece (or pieces) of gear. Welp, start over again.

For me, this is DISCOURAGING as HELL! I would rather play with a character that I can make changes with, when and HOW I want. THAT is more meaningful to me. Having one time choices is not. This is not real life. I already have this. I don’t need to emulate it in a video game that is supposed to be for my enjoyment.

However, this again is my opinion, and doesn’t necessarily reflect everyone else’s, though I feel that some may agree and feel a similar way.

Game on.

8 Likes

i think, most of “D2 bois” agreed on, there should be a way to respec
but it should not encourage players to just play multiple builds at the same time but rather give you a chance to “fix” or “change” your character for a longer period of time

1 Like

As I see the issue, there are two ways of seeing the game : characters and setups.
A character would be when you make choices that you cannot change. Every choice is then a point of history of your character that increases your involvement with it and makes it your unique character (even though your choices may happen to coincide with many other players’ choices).
A setup would be when you can freely make any change to your character, to the point where you could borrow someone else’s account and play a duplicate of your character. This allows to easily experience different gameplays without having to redo a chunk of the game again.

Of course, there is a full spectrum between those two extremes, and the question is where the best compromise is. I really didn’t like Diablo 3’s system, as it was almost entirely on the setup side of the spectrum (the only non-setup part was the equipment, but even that wasn’t character-ish, as it was more of an RNG issue than of a choice one). Diablo 2’s system feels like the worst of both worlds, as the only available respecs are very limited, and using them basically resets their history.
PoE’s system felt like a decent compromise, with point-by-point resource-based respeccing, and the occasional free full-respec, though the constant changes to the skill tree requiring you to re-do your passive tree most leagues became really tiring after some point, to the point where most of my characters were constantly awaiting their mandatory respec. But this is from the point of view of someone leaning a lot more on the “character” side of the spectrum.

2 Likes

I get it, but I usually never play any further than the story and some of the activities, if I’m forced to do it over with a new character just to minmax. As such I’d propose just d2, there to be a way to respec, but make it difficult to get, or perhaps only once per character.

even D2 gave you 3 times and i read, you could even farm for more opportunities
so that should definitely be improved in the easier direction
i like the idea of farming for it. it makes you continuing the game for redoing something

1 Like

Stop with the D2 BS, it is an outdated antiquated system that needs to remain in the past. D4 needs to be a modern ARPG that is the likes of PoE, Grim Dawn, Torchlight, etc.

Even if a player messes up their choices then all they do is recreated the character so if you respec or not, it is all the same thing. All that playing a new character from scratch does is waste a players time.

Your attitude of choices should matter is an antiquated idea that did not work in the past and is nothing more than I want everyone to play my way. You want your choices to matter then there is no reason for you to respec your character when you make a bad choice. Nothing is forcing you to respec, but what you want is everyone to play your way

4 Likes

screw roleplaying

embrace action

1 Like

PoE actually has farmable respec tokens…not free build swaping :x

Not saying it is perfect, but all those games have interesting mechanics that Blizzard could learn from

Cant remember Torchlight, but I believe none of these have free respeccing.

well, in grim dawn its basically “free”
you pay a few bucks, just like in borderlands 3

Easy fix 1 free respec per created character. Allows one to fix a screwup or to do some experimenting without having to relevel.

Regarding Torchlight 2, you must hack the game and become labeled as a cheater to be able to respec.

If D4 is to have more endgame content than D3, then it will be a big problem not to be able to respec infinitely. Only now in D3 there are challenging and less challenging things to do, imagine having to play bounties and rifts with a Crusader with no horse (because you want to do max dmg) for a whole season.

D4 needs infinite respec at free cost, and the possibility to do it fast while a team is waiting. MMO you say, even more so then.

1 Like

Diablo IV - How Respeccing DESTROYS the RPG Experience

it does…not.
look at POE, respeccing is about the worst implemented feature there.

QOL, convenience is a holy property in an aRPG and D4.
so, respec at will !

2 Likes