Diablo 4 will be a 'dark and gritty modern diablo 2' apparently

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Good job Blizzard probably realise they’ll receive a massive backlash if D4 resembles D3.

8 Likes

After the first iteration was cancelled I imagine the team sat around in a conference room and reviewed and agreed what was good what was not good in D1, D2 and D3. - I would expect the good aspects of these games to be incorporated into the design of D4. Just two more days and we will get a hint (hopefully)!

2 Likes

What Diablo IV will be a FPS. Outrage,

I was hoping it will be a dating sim.

1 Like

I’d totally swipe right on the female Barb!

1 Like

This is one of the many disappointments of D3 compared to its predecessors.

5 Likes

I encourage you as a gamer myself if you have not played d2 in a seasonal ladder setting to give it a try. Yes the graphics are horrible but the mastery is in the experience and depth to the game. High Runes are the Paragon to d2 a system where it is difficult to achieve the best items but not necessarily impossible.

In depth I mean items that every class can use and a skill tree or some system where choice is given to the player. The dumbing down of games by blizzard these days needs to stop. Its happened to WoW, Diablo and frankly off the top of my head the only game that has not been dumbed down is Starcraft.

if Diablo 4 could achieve the darkness and dept of D2 with the fluid combat of D3 in a modern way with pvp and endgame, Blizzard would be rolling in the money and again have respect as a game company.

Diablo 3 is not a terrible game today by any means but it is a far cry from a true diablo game and more of a action hack and slash, rather than a game with choices.

4 Likes

Diablo veteran here, I seriously hope they bring back the dark atmosphere of diablo 1, with some spurts from d3 such as the cool death animations and a dark, disgusting, bloody, evil atmosphere…

I still play d2 proudly :smiley:

9 Likes

Man … are you differently intelligent?

As I mentioned in a previous thread( check my comment history). Keyblade has actually never played D2, not even once, he told us this in clan chat. He has a deep seething hatred for something he has never even played, which can be seen through his nonsensical anti-D2 comments.

On topic - If they are using the same art team, I find it hard to believe that it will have a gritty/evil or gothic look to it. I guesstimate that people will not throw their money at a new diablo like they did with d3.

6 Likes

So, 3-5 more years of this hype and speculation until we actually see D4.

/smh

1 Like

I believe the art director came on board after RoS and prior to the Necromancer.

If true that would explain a lot. :+1:

6 Likes

The PoE guys were the creators of Diablo and Diablo II. RIP Blizzard North.

1 Like

What is wrong with speculating now…believe it or not, some people can control their emotions if let down!

Humanity has not become God’s, a sector of humanity rose above to be godlike. D4 is likely going to focus heavily on the fall of the Neph, and the rise of balance…leading to Tethamet in my opinion, the true prime evil.

Pretty sure it was MM that said it publicly in a post Blizzcon interview in 2015 I believe.

1 Like

This is important to note, because the Necromancer DLC brought us some of the most disgusting and horrifying landscapes in D3

Brevik wasn’t in their team until '16 (Oct 18) and Schaeffer brothers are scattered; one keeping it real with Torchlight, other sitting idly by at another studio. I don’t remember any of the brains behind North worked with GGG to develop PoE from scratch.

2 Likes

No, they’re not. You might be talking about the Schaefer brothers (Torchlight), and David Brevik (Hellgate, Marvel Heros). Those guys created Diablo, then Blizzard bought their company and renamed it Blizzard North. They went their seperate ways after Diablo 2.

The Path of Exile guys were huge Diablo 2 fans who set up Grinding Gear Games and made Path of Exile which started out as a love letter to D2. Initially there was just 3 or 4 members of the team (one guy built the whole engine. On his own), but today GGG has over 120 employees.

6 Likes

This is the bad part of GR, but GR is where D3 actually found its own way.

What did you actually want from D3? Imagine they made a D2 remastered, with new items and new story. It would resolve all your complaints about D3, but would you be satisfied with that? NO. D3 must have something new. So does D4.

D3(RoS) IMO really solved many problems of diablo-like games. The solution is the combination of GR, global drop and intelegent drop. It has flaws but it is a great solution.

The problem GR brought is not the problem of GR. It’s the problem of the other things: they’re too boring or frustrating as endgame contents. Not for you, I guess, but for most people else. The only solution is more endgame contents.

They pretty much did early on. Especially when the game director was outed. They did a decent job of salvaging what they had honestly though but It’s still a huge failure imo, We all win if they do make d4 more dark and gritty. They’ll sell many many more copies and we get an actual diablo sequel.

1 Like

Couldnt have said this better!

1 Like