Diablo 4 will be a 'dark and gritty modern diablo 2' apparently

I like D2, I like D3, and I also like PoE and even Victor Vran. Grim dawn also quite decent.

All have good and bad points. Obviously everyone & their cousins have opinions about what is best.

It’s not an easy balance to satisfy people who want deep games and people who want casual experience. People who want the game to be competitive with the leader board, people who do not, as it forces people to play meta build for instance.

Personally I prefer leaderboard even though I never competitive and not obsessed with playing the most meta build.

Obviously your build needs to be somewhat competitive or you can’t find people to play with you or if you solo, it matters not much.

Depth is harder to balance, having much stuff does make game more complex, but not all complexities are meaningful. For instance, PoE has many modifiers and mechanisms that I think excessive, like accuracies, CI and low life energy shield. If you make an energy shield build, you look for items that enhance energy shield as oppose to life or armor. It makes sure people wear different gears and look for differences stats, but add zero to the gameplay.

Also, physical attacks were treated differently from elemental ( ice, fire, lighting) and again different from chaos damage. Armor only protects physical attacks, elemental resistance only for fire, ice and lighting, and chaos resistance are rare on gears with low value. Also, armor reduces damage by fix value while resistance is by %. Complexity for sake of complexity.

There are however good complexity, if you want to have high block chance, high dot damage, there are many skills, gears to enhance it. In D3? Is there even a single item that enhance DOT?

2 Likes

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I haven’t looked that up in a while. That makes more sense. Can we just have Blizzard North back and get back to enjoying these games?

i use 3-4 barb builds with raekor set alone. add LOD builds, MOTE ice/phys, WW. there is just as many as in d2 or more. having a leaderboard probably gives a false notion everyone uses the same builds.

1 Like

Something NEW is not just copy a lot of wow itemization, cooldowns, homogenization and other mechanics. Is bring something new. And if they remaster D2 but adds power creep to it or adds cooldowns it would be a nightmare.

See for eg dark souls 2, they added power stances, added new spells, new types of weapons, but also added awful things like soul memory and ADP. Diablo 3 in other hands only added awful things.

3 Likes

I don’t play wow so l’m not sure what’s wow itemization. If they’re maybe I should be… glad? because I don’t like the way items drop in wow and don’t like 25 man group PVE.

Not sure why you hate cooldowns. Unfortunately cooldown is so basic in modern games and I doubt if the game designers still know how to balance a game without cooldown. The concept also existed far before wow.

Power creep - not those after S12, that’s too much - is actually a way too keep people’s interest on the game. It’s cheap and lazy but effective. I hope the devs can learn how to control it.

1 Like

WoW and mmorpg’s popularized the concept who started in a MUD.

But yes, cooldowns are so common among modern games that when i saw any game without cooldown, dark souls, pathfinder kingmaker, etc it automatically becomes much better in my concept.

My point is that there was no CD on D1 and was only added on high CPU intensive skills on D2. Cooldowns doesn’t belong on Diablo franchise.

When i talk about wow itemization and homogenization i mean every lv 70 necro being just a clone of each other and the Barbarian muscle mass being 100% determined by the boots that he is wearing. That is awful.

2 Likes

“Some sort of monetization”

Sorry, can’t include links.

Yuck. I just want to buy a game and play the game. I hate microtransactions.

3 Likes

Come on, if is just a optional skin for your char, what is the problem?

2 Likes

I agree as LONG AS there are still really good cosmetics IN GAME as well, don’t make everyone look generic as hell and try to promote them all for payment

1 Like

And no pink llamas or other cartonish cosmetic microtransaction. Vampire skin for necromancer, make your fire golem blue, change the projectile animation, etc should be welcomed. One of many things that i miss about D2 is that armor looks(and works) like armor… Armor IMO should deflect blows and magical/rare/legendary armor should give a minor bonus but not make or break any build.

edit : here is how armor looks on d2

2 Likes

I’m okay with MT cosmetics, however if they are flamboyant I think only the user should see them that way, but from another player’s perspective they are visually subtle.

1 Like

Best looking gear in the history of video game gear.

1 Like

I disagree. It should make your feel more unique on MP. I mean, diablo is already homogenized enough. See two necromancers not only having different stats and skills but one with a platinum iron golem and other with a red iron golem would be amazing.

In this case I’d want to see the standard Iron Golem colour flecked and laced with red, but not a big in you face blob of red like it’s wearing an ugly Christmas sweater.

My assumption is based around the little cartoon that was pushed out for Diablo 3 in which Diablo lays a trap to shatter the unity of the Angiris Council. Imperius wants to kill Diablo for the angels he’s killed, but the others wanted to imprison Diablo, because with one Greater Evil down, the tides of the Eternal Conflict would turn in Heaven’s favor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekNdkjsF8Mc

Again, this possibly falls into the, “Diablo’s Master Plan was always to lose,” category of speculation. I’m also not sure how Andariel and Duriel got to Sanctuary. Its possible much of their power was expended to make the transition possible.

And it’s still worth keeping in mind that the Heroes of Diablo 2 might very well represent the pinnacle of what humanity could achieve. Even then, it’s very hard to dismiss the fact that most of the heroes were wielding a kind of power that exists independent of humans. Magic, Faith, Necromancy, Druidism, etc…

The thing about the various Heroes of the first two games, however, is that they were human. They accomplished legendary feats, but they were still human. Blood Raven and the Summoner were the fates of two such heroes. They fell to corruption. I’m not sure about the others, but I remember the Sorceress died.

i think i agree! like in diablo 1 and 2 it was so cool just being an actual badass mortal scared as hell delving dungeons!

1 Like

I will never, ever, forget that feeling when I’d got through the first level or two of Cathedral as a Wizard and felt like a boss, and then got to the Butcher. I jumped at, ‘Ah Fresh Meat!’ And then I promptly died in two hits, because, Wizard. Might’ve lived through three if I’d been Warrior.

2 Likes

Someone said CD doesn’t belong in diablo games? Are you talking about cool downs? If your answer is yes then please don’t be THAT guy that chugs health pots like its the only item that exists during pvp. If not pvp then please don’t be THAT guy that just wants to spam that 2 minute nuke button but the design won’t allow it.

Anyway i hope d4 will will keep me on my toes before i just charge straight into a room. Hopefully blizzard punishes players that blindlessly enters a room to the sight of 20 fire balls to the face.

3 Likes

The series, ‘The Sin War,’ goes into some detail with the fall and subsequent rise of Nephalim in Sanctuary’s past. In particular, the character of Uldyssian ul-Diomed had advanced to the point where he had literally become a God, but his power was destroying Sanctuary, tearing it apart at the seams. He chose humanity in the end, turning his Nephalem powers inward, and thus eradicating his own existence to save Sanctuary and all on it.

When the Sin Wars ended, humanity’s minds were wiped of the events, the loss of life attributed to plague and conflict that didn’t involve demons and angels, and the world stone was altered again to prevent humans from achieving their nephalem powers once more. Angels and Demons alike had witnessed how Uldyssian had become a God.

1 Like

Yup, but “humanity” is all inclusive. One person rose above, not humanity.

That was more of my point, humanity is just that, human. Neph on the other hand have latent godlike abilities though, the Neph are approaching the level of a GOD.

Humanity must step in this time.

I think that is the plot twist at least.