Diablo 2 Resurrected in Review and the Case for a Charms-only inventory: Will it fix a 20 year old Problem?

I can do the same thing.

arguments for charm inventory:

1. it prevents leechers (somehow?)
  2. eliminating decision making makes games better
  3. moar space to pick up loot to ID, then throw back on the ground because I am already full BiS with bag full of skillers anyway
  4. “90% of the competent playerbase” apparently agrees, therefore we cannot live without it
  5. If you’re not playing with 8 skillers+torch/anni within the first week of a ladder reset you aren’t playing the game and don’t deserve to have an opinion

am I missing anything?

1 Like

You haven’t explained how it eliminates a decision - there really isn’t any decision to be made. I don’t have to pick between drops because in the 10 or less it takes me to S/E and identify nothing of value is very likely to drop. I can basically keep doing this - its just inconvenient - but its the same functionally as having space in my inventory - but i have the benefit of my charms.

your list can be replaced just by

1. it is convenient.
    That’s it, it already outweighs all of the “arguments” against it.
1 Like

You sound like you’re like what level 40 in hardcore? Skillers are widespread…

So the fundamental gameplay change this would bring is that we’re removing some of the decision making from the game where we previously had to weigh convenience for power. As I’ve said, I like this, but there are other things this would affect, like new player experience, and the learning process, but once you know what you’re doing it’s pretty straight forward. Endgame characters would have much more convenient lives, I agree. And so the argument is that this a good thing for the endgame experience.

I can see that side of the argument, and I struggle with charms myself, although I personally find that type of crap in games satisfying. I understand most people don’t. Probably an even bigger issue though is the can of worms if opens for the devs to balance, which is probably why this might never happen, and we may only ever see it in unofficial mods.

Our bag space is 10x4 squares in size, right? So if we were to just copy that as a charm bag, that’s an easy solution. This wouldn’t change PvP / dueling at all, but it would significantly buff a variety of PvM activities where we still need inventory space to pick things up, and other things like our tome of TP, etc. So in most PvM use cases we’re working with a bag size of 8x4+2x2, or something along those lines.

If we had a charm bag any other size other than the standard 10x4, it significantly changes PvP and so there’s literally no other option. But what this does is significantly improves our power in PvM without having to give anything up. So there are major balance issues here, in terms of stacking more MF or skiller charms, etc than were ever really possible in PvM before. In all honesty, when it comes to PvM, balance was thrown way out the window when 1.10 rune words came out anyway, but this is still a concern. Talk to me more about how this isn’t a problem.

No I’ve just never had a character with a full inventory of BiS charms in hardcore. It’s incredibly hard to get to that point and they’re still pretty rare.

This is such a moot point. Expansion does not force me to fill my inventory with charms. I still retain the ability at any time to “steal” your drops as I desire by keeping my inventory momentarily empty for that purpose. There is no trade off, because I’m not dueling you or have any use for charms/power while I sit idly by and watch a boss’ health diminish. This mechanic does not work as you are implying it does, because at any time there could invariably be a full game of players with empty inventories looking to compete for drops. Further, all it does it provide weak LEECHERs the opportunity for access to drops with an empty inventory, while others who stack power for the efficiency of clearing the level for you get nothing.

The irony in these posts is that you are here accusing people of disingenuously wanting greater access to loot over other players, when the reality is that you are the one here advocating for the scenario that keeps players bloated at all times so YOU get greater access to ‘steal’ the loot for yourself.

Another bad point. Firstly, boss drops are a very small, and secluded scenario of the game, and at best will drop 1 useful/desired piece of equipment. Any boss drop is still a competition for the 1 single best item, where most of the equipment you obtain will be throughout the course of a run by mobs of monsters. Also, rare or unique items drop scarcely. Any experienced player is not gearing their character exclusively with things they pick off the ground. What makes them experienced is their ability to make use of all aspects of the game, including common items, turning them over for better equipment. My ladder-reset strategy involves collecting a high volume of low runes and gems, for crafting and trading.

I don’t think anyone is advocating for a charm inventory sized any differently then what we currently have. Of course this has to stay the same in order to keep the power scale the same. Some advocate for separating this space entirely, while others (such as myself) believe there is a better middleground- What can be done, is adding additional inventory space that can be used to store extra equipment- but not active charms. I see nothing wrong with this. Steadfast players should at least be able to compromise even for 1 extra inventory row for use of 1x1 items, or for greater “tetris” maneuverability. Active charm size stays the same. I wouldn’t even mind simply being able to hold the cube as it’s own entity that doesn’t take up any inventory space and provides a naturally progressive- and additional access to the 3x4 space (but of course not for active charms) .

1 Like

So are you saying we’d have an inventory size of 7x10, and the active charm portion in the lower half would remain 4x10?

This would need to be really well displayed in the UI. I’d expect if blizzard were to add this they’d just separate them out, as to not confuse new players.

You sound like you’ve basically played singleplayer forever. At this point its pretty clear that its like taking balance criticism about tweaking hell mode from someone who has only completed normal.

Yes, because not having a full BiS character in HC mode is equal to not completing normal difficulty. lol absurd dude.

This is that elitist attitude I was talking about earlier. If you really want to convince people, that’s not the way to do it. Bring data instead of unfounded insults please.

Yeah, something like this. It would seem like a challenge but there are countless ways an experienced dev team can make this reliably self-evident/readable. POD textures the squares’ back drops differently and indicates charms outside this space as ‘inactive’ by marking it red like other items your character doesn’t meet the requirements for- a simple border could achieve this, or even a simple glow around the charms to indicate that they are active, corresponding to a similarly designed portion of space. Plenty of possibilities here… but I agree it has to be done right.

I think a lot of people are against this just because if you start isolating space for designated items, it eliminates the shared/compromising aspect of the inventory space. Personally, I still like sharing the space, but I would be open to ‘hybrid solutions’ that potentially maybe reserve a small isolated portion of space for charms (idk).

My main point is that D2’s inventory is a recycle from D1, conceptualized at a time that accommodated a 10th-100th of the items available today, and at a time before charms even existed. There is definitely room for improvement here. If you are comparing the use of D2s inventory with D1… well then D1s space is just ridiculously over powered lmao :joy:

This is very true. Most of these people who have empty inventories basically are bad at picking up items and are themselves greedy - they think they’re somehow superior because they kept slots open and want the benefit of what would otherwise be your drop in personal loot.

My work-around basically denies them this opportunity and most haven’t fully accepted this and its implications.

2 Likes

boy, you were arguing here without even understanding what you’re arguing against? Amazing.

1 Like

No, I understand. And I still disagree. Just curious what people think it would look like.

I’m having a productive exchange with KoZzy. I’m happy to do the same with anyone. Your posts don’t lend themselves well to any sort of productivity though. Let me know when you have something constructive to say.

Haven’t seen many good responses to this.

some people just reiterate that inventory management is core to the game - but is it really if there is such a simple workaround that has basically 0 consequences? Why is it so central to the game if its easily negated?

2 Likes

the whole inventory Tetris thing is a horrible system. Charms should work as items you equip. There should be a limited amount of charms one can equip.

Same for inventory, your character should be able to pick up a limited amount of items that you can carry at a time.

2 Likes

Again, don’t be confused by the fact that inventory management SHOULD Be a thing. The point is that its basically negated.

i like the idea and im all for it 100% as long as charms can not be used in the normal inventory. but then at the same time. u end up having alot more inventory space to just pick cool items up.

I played diablo 2 lod since it came out and I also played for almost 12years before I stopped . It got boring . It got old . I want the game remastered meaning I want new items … skill reworks … possible new characters added in … I want all pvp nerfs to be removed on all characters since patch v1.09 with guided arrow and pierce … those where the funniest days … I want a separate charm inventory… I want new endgame content… new items … I don’t know why there taking fun things out of the game and not just adding more in to lvl the playing field against guided arrow and pierce … make monsters harder … allow more damage and elite combinations sets … I want more then d2 with a paint job for 40 bucks … I honestly want my money back if I don’t see this stuff .

1 Like

Luckily they did say with mods you’ll be able to change values on skills/items, things of that nature.

Hopefully you and a couple friends can play a modded version over bnet, that would be ideal. They definitely shouldn’t change the base game that drastically though, I hope you understand that.