[D4] Evade skill - animation stop frame

I suggested a stagger meter for a hit recovery replacement as well a while back.

As for eating, it’s not part of the gameplay. If it were and you could somehow avoid the mechanic that wouldn’t make sense.

As for clunkiness of the dodge mechanic, I have zero issues with it. It’s supposed to be to avoid an attack, not a mobility ability. As Lolli pointed out, if were not clunky and spammable it would be abused for mobility.

1 Like

Sure, not the best comparison, but it at least somewhat servers to illustrate the point.

That is why it is having its own resource, so you can’t spam it like for example a Dodgeroll in many other games that would overall increase your movement speed or traveling distance.

Yes, sure, if it also would be spamable, but it isn’t since its use is limited by a resource that you only have a limited amount available for, which also does only regenerate slowly (unlike in D2)

imo Stagger Meter > FHR, so we are on the same boat on that one I guess.

3 Likes

Wolcen did the dodge stamina resource perfectly fine tbh.
You can use it too often vs. what I want in D4, as it is really meant as a core ability in Wolcen, whereas imo the active dodge should not make other movement skills irrelevant in D4. But that is just a matter of tuning the regen rate.

4 stamina points, each roll takes one point. You can get more points, affect regen rate etc. through skills etc.

Making the dodge slow or clunky to use is bad game design imo. It goes directly against what you want to use a dodge for.

2 Likes

Yeah, I totally agree with that.

Neither too high, and neither too low. Love it.

well i think the dodge is a bad idea in general
classes already have skills to get out of the way or block or do anything else that is more fitting to their own class theme
most of the time you can just run out of a red circle so whats it all even about

It reduces the need or even the necessity for taking a skill like Teleport, Leap, etc, but having both an Evasion Ability, as well as a Movement Skill, which ads more Evasion and Mobility and more range on top of that, certainly makes it much better.

The Evasion Ability only allows for a short distance to be traveled, while a Movement Skill allows for a much, much larger distance to be crossed and thereby also to more significantly reposition yourself than the Evasion Ability.

I thought it would be cool if every class has its own Evasion Ability:

Barbarian: Tackle

• a short ranged charge that also knockbacks (minor) enemies

Knight Class: Defensive Stance

• raise your shield in front of you and hold the button to become stationary and gain a bubble that absorbs 60-100% damage.
  • Pressing the button costs a larger amount of Stamina and continuing to hold it also drains x Stamina per second.
  • Each hit you absorb drains additional Stamina based on how much damage was absorbed, but not more than x Stamina per second.

Druid: Shapeshift: Raven

• shapeshift into a raven so you can fly over the battlefield as long as you press down the button
  • costs a larger amount of Stamina when activated and an additional x Stamina while continuing to be in Raven Form

Sorcerer: Blink

• short-ranged Teleport

Rogue I: Sprint

• while pressing the button, your movement speed is greatly increased
  • costs x Stamina per second

Rogue II: Side Step / Dodge Roll

• a simple Dodge Roll or a simple Side Step without recovery / interrupt frames
  • costs x Stamina per use

Necromancer: Ghost Form

• while holding down the mouse button, you turn into a ghost and you can move through enemies
  • costs a larger amount of Stamina when activated and an additional x Stamina while continuing to be in Ghost Form
2 Likes

Yeah. I would be quite fine with not having a default active dodge for all classes in D4 too. It really just takes away from build choices.
Only talking in the context of D4 having an active dodge button.

At minimum, what Blizzard could do, would be to give the active dodge its own section in the skill tree. To make it more of a build choice. Making it more useful would come at the cost of having less points to spend on your other skills. Just like if you pick teleport etc.
And those skill upgrades to the dodge could then also be somewhat more tailored to each class.

1 Like

it just waters down class identity
i mean sure…they can all run and talk^^
but dodging is something more critical to the actual combat and giving every single class the same way of dealing with incoming attacks is a bit lame

As long as you can only use it rarely, it hopefully wont make all builds feel similar. Like you might use it to escape <1/10 attacks or whatever. Having a 10+ sec regen might be fine. Something you only use as a last resort. Unless you spec into it to get more dodges, as an alternative to getting another mobility skill.

1 Like

thats again a PoE all classes do the same system even if you specc into it
i dont remember a diablo game where classes can specc into the same skill
everyone has their own skilltree

Well, Diablo 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

Having skill upgrades for the dodge could make it feel different for each class though. Like, everyone start out with a short-range, slow regen and not very fast dodge.
A sorceress might spend points into making it work more like a short-range teleport/blink. While barb might make it into a kind of dmging charge, rogue into a backflip, a druid turns into a raven form that ignores ground dmg (but not dmg above ground) for a second, etc.
So all have a basic dodge, just like all classes are able to run as you mentioned. But when they start specializing their dodge, they rely on the class fantasy.

Not that I would expect Blizzard to do this :confused:

1 Like

If the Dodge Ability is something like an Innate Skill, then I would say that improving it could also come via Passive Skills. The Passive Skill Tree does not have to be a skill tree, but also Passive Skill List, and some Passive Skills can be universally available to each class.

If every class had its own unique Evade Ability, then it also would be cool imo.

well
to me a knight with a shield doesnt evade
they block damage
just for example
you dont have to try to make sense of it
its just not a very good idea

And drink potions KEKW.

Who’s the faster dodger - Rogue or Druid?

Spoiler

Tyson Fury

That I disagree with. Even a tank wants to avoid some hits. Not only to avoid dmg, but it might be a CC ability etc.

Another thing most classes have shared in past Diablos is a default ‘attack’. That should also return to D4, even if it might not be something most builds would ever use.

1 Like

it should be but it seems unlikely
they have shifted to free “skills” that are just a bit more fancy basic attacks so the 9 year olds wont complain about “doing nothing” while out of resources

it doesnt make much sense for anything but the druid because it will help you to stay in your preferred form forever basically

I dont mind having all those free skills. But they do come at the cost of skill points. So a default attack could still have a small niche.

well
depending on how much you are using them because you (hopefully) cant spam your powerful attacks, it might be clever to have a skill in your bar that you can spam and even uprade in your skilltree if it takes 50% of more of your hit time

it fits their theme of a heavily armored knight.

When you dodge / evade out of an incoming AoE explosion or heavy hit, you take 0 damage, and a heavily armored knight who raises his shield in front of him and summons a holy bubble that absorbs all incoming damage, he also takes 0 damage.

It doesn’t has to be called Evade for the knight class, but it fulfills the same purpose, as even these Evade Abilities are not Movement Abilities for you to use to get closer to an enemy or to travel large distances, but rather to get out of a dangerous zone.

yea so its just part of the general skillset that a character should have and it makes no sense to give them their own resource or button next to the skillbar
you are trying to make sense of it while its just not needed