D2R: Personal/Instanced Loot is a MUST for this game!

MEH, it has begun…

Requests of questionable designs/mechanics being added to D2R.
It’s not even some small QoL feature. I don’t think DEVS would perceive it as such. This is reworking games loot distribution system…

They never even mentioned such things, they only told that they will basically keep it old D2 with new graphics.
Anyways, most likely won’t happen.

I think personal loot is very much up for discussion between the devs. They have already added other QoL improvements. I do agree this goes beyond just QoL, though it could be argued that nothing would be a greater QoL change ironically. I think it is definitely something they should explore and I think the major anti crowd likely played barb or paladin who face tanked mobs and thus got the drops right at their feet.

1 Like

Well, I think that they are not even thinking about it.

But let’s not base stuff on what we think. When the game releases we will see who was right and who was not, with their thinking :slight_smile:

I strongly suspect that the designers have thought about it. The significant question is whether this is something that they would consider to implement as an option or not based on player feedback.

That may not prove anything. Game changes are most likely to be associated with patches. I am not assuming that no game changing thing will not be introduced post-launch (e.g. a balance patch or a few)

1 Like

“purists” are like the “Grognards” of D&D : https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Grognard

“a fan of a now-defunct edition of any given tabletop game who is bitterly and verbally opposed to even the slightest of changes made in subsequent editions. “Edition X was The Best!” is essentially their catchphrase.”

https://1d4chan.org/images/c/c2/Cessation_of_Hostilities.png

ps. and the funny thing is that they are wrong… since the majority plays modded d2… plugY , PoD , PD2 etc… but again mostly players who use pickit bots are afraid of personal loot… and even the creator of D2 would implement it now.

2 Likes

I’m sure other people have posted this. But if personal loot becomes a thing, and everyone sees a different boss drop, the most optimal way to play the game would be 8 accounts all joining the same game and running bosses. Each boss kill would be moving 8 chars down a tp, killing the boss and checking every drop for something. Pretty lame if you ask me.

As much as I would love personal loot if implemented as it would enable me to relax and just slay monsters. I think if everyone gets max drops, the most optimal way to play becomes boring.

If the drops are split, it would get really old to see leechers getting HR’s off of you working hard and them just chilling since you technically only have a 1/8 chance to see the drop. If you try for a work around by who got the kill, the only viable builds in a baal run are the top damage builds like light sorcs and Assassins and Zons. Everyone else wouldn’t get drops.

It works in d3 because there is no competition for wealth. No tradeable items anyways, so it doesn’t matter what the other person gets and you don’t get. But in a world where my hard work to rush or level people can result in them getting a HR off my kill and I get nothing, that is way more infuriating than the low chance a leecher grabs an item off something I killed. Because I can control that by telling them to get back, or get out before that happens.

I swear people continually argue about the wrong things in this forum.

D2 should be left alone as is for the purists. What we should do is PRESS BLIZZARD TO ALLOW FULL MODDING CAPABILITY… not some half-butt offline mod stuff only.

I’m of the camp that current modded D2 (PoD and PD2) are the most fun ways to play the game… however… that is my opinion and I don’t think it’s fair to turn an old classic to some new game because D3 players are so desperate for a new Diablo game.

I’m with you!!! I really want a new diablo game… but turning D2 into D 3.5 just so the majority of the players on this forum can abandon it when D4 comes out is wrong and selfish.

Let the rose-tinted glasses D2 players have D2:R as is on release… they’ll see the glaring annoyance of 20 year old systems plastered with 21st century graphics…

Push for mods, not changing the game.

d2r is just an autofail if it is based on anything like the old d2 or project d2 i just tried the project d2 apparently that game is unplayable because u run out of mana every 2 casts and guess what there is no resource regeneration and u have to press 4 keys to potion thats messed up

Blizzard better crush botting and pickit scripts in d2r. Those auto loot scripts were the worst and did not make for a fair playing field. If it’s not addressed then d2r should have personal loot.

1 Like

Your words are harsh and more direct/blunt, but one side of me is in a similar boat as you. I want the real D2, the mechanics, systems and the like, to be reviewed in today’s standard. I would assume general playerbase will not really like it, the limitations in the game, unlike how some D2 fans claim how perfect, ‘better’ D2 is. If general playerbase likes it (not by the same usual D2 fans claiming so), good for them, and I will admit I was wrong (not that I openly said my thought or mocked D2 fans to begin with).

But alas, we’re not really getting the ‘real’ D2 (only graphical updates), are we? There are already some QoL changes coming, fixing some ‘flaws’ in the game. Who knows how many there will be. And for the sake of argument, personal loot (or having an option for it) is simply better in everyway so. Again, no, not forcing every players to be playing in personal loot system, but allowing playes to choose between the wo.

It just doesn’t feel right to make ‘other D2 fans (not the so called purist)’ suffer through the flaw.

I wonder what ‘purist’ think about bug fixes in D2R, like ebug or swap casting. Patches fix bug all the time. It will be funny if D2R fixes those bugs in the name of QoL change.

I mean if people really want personal loot, don’t you think players will make single-player mods (and hopefully if we push Blizzard for online mods) that allow for personal loot, or loot 2.0, or whatever you want to call it?

I honestly don’t trust blizzard enough to change a vision of an old game. Let Blizzard employ all of these changes in D4 and let modders “fix” whatever players think is broken in D2:R.

It solves the issue for everyone.

So you are suggesting that people split to modded games, since it solves the “issue for everyone”. How is that any different from Blizzard making it a selectable option. In either case, the players can choose what they want and the issue is solved.

Frankly, if Blizzard is really only going to give D2R a simple facelift of the original D2, D2R longevity will be reduced.

They made D3 for a reason, they made D;I for a reason they are making D4 for a reason. The reason they made D2R is because of all the wingers that dont appreciate a good game when they see one, instead they dwell in the past. Be grateful they are making D2R for the wingers that cant move on. If D2R makes enough money they may contemplate an expansion. However remember that’s what D;I is.

1 Like

It is very different. First of all nobody knows how much Blizzard actually plays their classic games. They don’t know the in’s and out’s of what is annoying or “dated” about the old system.

Modders don’t mod for money, they mod for the passion of the game. At least that’s what the current popular D2 mods represent: A collective group of nerds that just love the game they love.

I don’t trust Blizzard to make a game of passion anymore, as their recent product offering has really been money focused over player focused. It’s the simple fact of video games as a business over the old Blizzard which was a huge passion project.

These modders do amazing things and it makes sure that the original game is still in tact for those that want it to be.

Micro, you’ve been on these D3 forums for a really long time. Can you honestly state that you would stick to playing D2:R when D4 comes out?

Fundamentally changing a classic game (in my opinion) is just not easy to do without completely losing a LOT of what made the game special to the original audience.

This game isn’t going to bring in a flood of “new players” to experience ARPGs to grow the market. D2:R is holdover to get some hype built up for D4.

Why do you trust Blizzard so much is the question I guess… why entrust people to “fix” a game that don’t really understand what needs to be fixed when there is an option to allow passionate 40+ year old nerds (like myself) that have played the game for 20 years to create those experiences.

Like i said originally, I think it is selfish for D3 players to turn D2:R into D3.5 simply because we reaaaaaally want a new diablo experience. The reality is that D2:R is an OLD diablo experience, and maybe playing that game as is will help us appreciate whatever D4 becomes even more.

They need to design the game with personal loot and then have it turned off at the launch. Once it is discovered that players have adopted something like the above then just change the loot method over and it will be community punishment for players not abiding by the rules. A problem caused by the community so no one has any right to complain.

There’s no chance at all of that happening, just one of the reasons why personal loot - that is, the normal loot drops from every mob tagged (briefly) to individual players, before it becomes shared - is so necessary.

If D2R launches with D2’s loot system, expect PickIt2.0-for-D2:R to be out the next day.

2 Likes

Dont see that happening as there are bot in all blizzard games. If bots run rampent in D3 why would they not exsist in D2R.

1 Like

Actually I told this a lot of times but this I will address some arguments, why Personal Loot and Locked Items with a 2 hour Trade-duration is a disaster.

For Diablo 2 doesn’t make sense to the Personal Loot:

Diablo 2 Grinding Aspect is made for everyone, if you play enough this game, you will get your items, and you are able to upgrade your Gear.

You have the chance to trade with items you need with other people, to get what you need.

This creates an economy…one of the most important aspects in a RPG Game.

The People who want personal loot and probably locked Trade-System doesn’t want to play or grind this game and this game is made for that.

If you play alone or with your Mates, everyone is sharing together the item drops.

This shows us the social aspects from the Community.

Diablo 3 Community, a lot of them have a personality it cannot be tolerated anymore.

If they find an item which they already have but it’s a upgrade which does not really makes a big impact for an example 10 vitality more and 4 more str. they keep this items for them own and the other dude in the group which they farmed together in the group will not get it. This shows us the social aspect of this game and this is not even a positive attitude.

Shared Loot already defined the term in it: SHARED

We are sharing with our people together. Ofc there are people who instantly clicks the drop and the other one doesn’t get it. How many times it happened to me, to you, to everyone,all of us got this moments. But then later after we continue to play this game, we found what we needed. There was then no talk anymore.

In the End of the Day, Diablo 2 should be stay how it is, I am promise to everyone, if you play enough this game, you will be rewarded.

This is not the D3 Drop system from Vanilla by grinding hours and hours Diablo-boss fight and only blue items or 1 yellow drop, this is not a game like D3 ROS in which you are only to kill 1 white mob pack and instantly get the legendary with an awesome roll.

The Drop rate, items rolls, and area farming is in D2 perfectly balanced, same like the Free shared loot system.

Even David Brevik makes mistakes and is about this decision not any more sure, so this game should not get changed by his core.

Mostly of the guys here with the Personal loot System are lazy to play this game, want this game easier than it already is.

D3 is there and D4 with his BoP Loot system are coming, so let D2 be D2.

Here we go again. Another usual D2 player who doesn’t understand what ‘personal loot’ system is. They morph some concept in their head and think that’s what personal loot is.

‘Personal loot’ has nothing to do with [full open trade vs limited/restricted trade]. ‘Personal loot’ has nothing to do with [drop rate, number of drop] issue. It has nothing to do with items being locked. These confusions from some D2 players always make them talk nonsense, use ad hominem and false framing.

On top of that, this part is more nonsensical because at least in the previous part, that was due to ignorance regarding what personal loot system is.

‘Locked trade system’ makes players have to grind more. ‘Full open trade’ makes players have to grind less as they can trade items or buy them with money. ‘Drop rate’ issue has nothing to do with ‘locked items’ nor ‘trading’ issue.

2 Likes

First, these are 2 separate and independent design decisions: Trading and loot drop system.

A 2 hour trade window locked to fellow party members that exists in D3 is not something that is being advocated for (or it is a very small fraction) in D2R. So let’s address your comments on personal loot:

If you play any game long enough where loot drops are determined by RNG, you will be very likely (not 100% guaranteed) to get your items. The rate of loot acquisition is determined by the loot drop rate not the type of loot drop system (personal versus global).

This relates to trading mechanism and not the loot drop system. In both loot drop systems (global or personal), trading can occur that facilitates item acquisition. The trading economy still exists (see PoE where global loot, timed loot, and personal loot exists and trading is allowed.

To my knowledge, there are few (if any) supporters of personal loot system who also want a locked trade system. To reiterate, trading and the loot dtop system are separate game design decisions.

If you are playing with your mates, players can share their FFA drop or personal drops.

That is a pretty broad statement. All communities have bad apples. In a FFA system, these bad apples can have significant negative effects on the community. In D3, you never here about a ninja looter stealing other players drops.

D2 does not have shared loot, it is global FFA loot.

This can not happen in personal loot.

You can also find your loot with time in a personal loot game without the prior headache you described.

This is subject to debate. The current D2 is flooded with items due to item duping and botting. With the new battlenet, the supply of items will decrease, thereby negatively impacting the economy if you currently think it is perfect. Blzzard also announced shorter seasons that has implications for the game.

How do you know that most personal loot supporters are lazy? This is just rhetorical garbage and insulting. I disagree with your arguments. I think players should have selectable options. I will not mischaracterize and make personal insults directed against forum posters who do not share my view.

2 Likes