D2R: Personal/Instanced Loot is a MUST for this game!

There is something to be said for the thrill of snagging that BER rune. However, there’s a lot more to be said when melee classes have huge advantages and other players playing “co-operatively” are viewed as hostile competition.

That’s not fun. D2R needs personal loot.

Frankly, I am sick to death the purists whining that if they change d2, it won’t be D2 anymore. I’ve never seen the forums so toxic to visit.

The solution is simple. Even blizzard should get it. Two types of characters. Classic characters. Resurrected characters. The game can be freely changed for Resurrected players, but the Classic players enjoy the “classic” game with no changes.

Yes, this splits the playerbase slightly, maybe even four ways. Classic nonladder, Classic Ladder, and Resurrected Ladder/none ladder. That’s not ideal. But if Blizard doesn’t screw this up, and they seem hell bent on doing JUST that, it should work out for the best.

6 Likes

For all of D3’s faults and bad apple players, I can not criticize how personal D3 loot eliminated in game toxicity specifically caused by FFA loot in multiplayer D2. It was only a minor fraction of public D2 games, but it was annoying nevertheless.

I agree with your comments.

D2 is not immutable and even purists can not agree on what the real D2 is? Is it patch 1.09 or 1.14 or another patch entirely?

2 Likes

It’s so blatantly obvious that the game needs the following changes:

• Shared Loot

• Charm Inventory

• Class Balance

I would even argue they need a new endgame system and itemization changes.

Frankly, I’m not even sure what the purists are whining about. If the game doesn’t receive the necessary changes, the game is a ghost town in a year when Immortal launches.

I do not think that many D2 purists are worried about the longterm size of the D2R playerbase. I think for some their goal is to get D2R to be a D2 clone with updated graphics, shared stash, and a couple of on/off QoL features so that their gameplay will be better for them. I think you, I and others, are open-minded in that we desire this game to appeal to D2 purists, D2 diehards who want the game improved, and new players.

1 Like

Honestly, it doesn’t look like Blizzard is that worried either, D2R will have a small niche playerbase. Maybe that’s by design, giving the purists what they want and directing other players to Diablo 4 and Immortal.

Maybe this is a simple cashgrab, release the game as cheaply as possible, cut dev support to a trickle, but sell a LOT of copies.

Blizzard has stated that they are open to additional changes in the future (balancing is one they mention prominently) if players provide feedback. They want D2R (if D2 purists select those options) to be as close to the original D2 experience as reasonably possible. The fact that they are giving non-purist options is in recognition of what purist want would be bad for the game as a whole. Blizzard definitely wants to appeal to more than purists. One of the early Blizzard comments was about wanting to keep the game vigorous for a modern community. I take this to mean that they will not cater exclusively to D2 purists. Blizzards want them to be part of the D2R community but the community will be far more diverse.

I think Blizzard is trying to walk a fine line.

I hope since they spent the effort to get the game on consoles as well as PC that we will get a more support than a simple cash grab.

1 Like

Immortal is not gonna be a threat to d2r, existing players of d3 that do not want to change over because of X or Y reason as well as d4 will be what ghost towns d2r. That is assuming they mess up d2r and do not include at least personal loot (tradable personal loot).

PoE also has personal loot and it’s harder than D2 .

and the trading is much better in PoE than D2 bot trading…

ps. so saying that it will ruin the economy is false cause PoE has 3 loot systems and the trading/economy is perfect.

the only ones that are afraid of personal loot are pickit bot users…

and even David Brevik wants personal loot…

1 Like

In D2 specifically, I wonder how often harder really means more time consuming.

3 Likes

They are. I get that. They got burned badly, but deservedly, on the lackluster product that was WC3R. There were a lot of refunds on vanilla D3 as well. Also, rather deservedly. There could be many reasons for this, but they were both bad products.

I hope so too, but there is a TIME FRAME. I know there are lots of players like me, who are taking a pass on D2R, because it’s blow by blow the same game I have owned and played for 20 odd years.

And there are not many players as passionate about Diablo as I am, either. And like I said, I'm taking a pass (so far).

You guys are so freaking toxic you cannot even see it for yourself. You’ve pigeonholed Diablo 2 users as some special class of player, because god forbid they (we) don’t want to conform to your every whim. Many of us like everything that has been proposed by the V V team and that does NOT including completely uprooting the loot system, and dumbing it down because people can’t handle the competitive nature of the game.

I’m still waiting for the insane crying when people find out about how PVP works in the game. :man_facepalming:t5:

If you are taking a pass on D2:R then why are you so hell bent on changing it?

3 Likes

POE’s trading system is awful what are you talking about???

I have witnessed comments by both sides that have been extremely toxic. Neither side collectively have a claim for perfect forum behavior.

If that “You’ve” includes me, I have been careful to be clear that D2 fans have divergent opinions. Some like the status quo others not as evidence by the current D2 modding community.

You are correct. Some want more than what the changes VV (now part of Blizzard proper) announced and even Blizzard stated that the are open to more changes based on player feedback. In a reddit poll with inherent sampling bias (236 respondents), 5/8 wanted to keep FFA only loot. 3/8 wanted to replace FFA only loot with personal loot. This poll did not have a third option to have both as a selectable option.

This is a mischaracterization.

Those of us, like myself, who played D2 thousands of hours know how PvP works in D2. You are correct in that greifing will lead to many complaints on the forum.

They’re basically the same thing since you can look at guides. Unless it comes to picking up loot, then it comes down to whoever clicks faster.

Why do you pretend everyone is so naive?

It was you, in your post, who inferred that it was somehow only D3 players telling D2 players what the D2R remaster should and should not include.

Again: why do you think we’re so naive?

Again, because that was the clear inference of your post that I was responding to. For reference, you posted:

And that post is now as right as it was when I posted it.

It’s targeted just to people who doesn’t like to deny the obvious, so you can freely ignore it.

You do realize that a lot of D3 players used to be D2 players so why shouldn’t what they think count, after all they where D2 players at one time
So there must of been issues with D2 that caused them to leave in the first place which you are just ignoring and isn’t going to bring people back to D2 just because it’s an unneeded update that is going to flop because the D2 player base isn’t as big as D2 players like to think it is

1 Like