D2R: Personal/Instanced Loot is a MUST for this game!

With you I wouldn’t be surprised if you thought you could actually Thanos snap somebody out of existence.

Is that right?

shudders

Then don’t play in public games if doing so requires you to sacrifice your dignity or should I say “fun” by cheating or using a third party program.

Dude, Blizzard is not about to go spilling it’s source code out to you and the whole wide world, so if you need to see the source to see how massively easy it would be to implement Personal Loot into D2R, then you’re gonna be waiting a hell of a long time.

Whether you want to accept it or not, personal loot can be made to work easily, visibly and without the slightest, merest hint of a distortion to the economy or drop rates.

And it can be entirely optional too.

So what would be your basis for opposing it?

1 Like

Well you haven’t adhered to the topic of personal vs shared loot whatsoever. You came in here telling me I shouldn’t get an opinion, I assume because you’re holding a grudge about the other thread.

I’ll have counter-points when you have a point to begin with.

Seems to me that the effect on the game as a whole is functionally the same: Public matches are just full of people using pickit.

and teenage me couldn’t really muster the energy to care much back in 2001.

Without the source code there is no guarantee that:

is true?

While it may seem to be the case -

What is the basis that anyone has for determining that modifying even 1 part of the source code won’t have a chain reaction on so many other parts?

It’s really old code.

I don’t think “more drops” is always good, but I don’t think a small increase from a change to personal loot - if it even would be an increase - would destroy the game, either. Especially since trading exists, and trading messes with the gearing pace far more than this supposed drop increase would.

A silly argument. Just because I think D2 might overall have slightly too low drop rates doesn’t mean I like D3 where the drop rates are beyond excessive. There is far more middle ground possible than that.

2 Likes

So the fact that Blizzard specifically canvassed personal loot as an option themselves isn’t enough for you to know that it’s technically feasible?

2 Likes

Agreed. Basically everyone in this thread who advocates for personal loot is not asking for increase in drop rate. Some even has different view/version of how personal loot should work. I don’t agree with them, but seems like your view/version is same as mine.

And as you said, I don’t think even if there was a small increase, impact on the economy will be so miniscule to the point of irrelevant. In fact, if the new battlenet system or Blizz’s other effort stops duping or other method of cheating, I would say it will make items more rarer (deliberate double use of comparative grammar) than how it is in D2 now.

Not at all.

I think it would be a drastically improved system. I might even enjoy playing with random strangers more.

Well, glad to hear you’re in favour of personal loot. :slight_smile:

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD if ya want snivel about an unreleased game stop filling D3 forums with tears and buy the damn game so you can post in the proper forum!!

We have a new season coming and a lot of us don’t wanna hear your cheap buttcomplain in our forums because you cant afford the game you want to post about.

I’m rather neutral, for both methods, especially given the optional methodology.

I haven’t committed to playing yet.

I can afford to buy 100 copies of the game if I want to. It’s not the point. I shouldn’t have to buy the game in order to be able to comment on the game, it is absurd. I don’t like buying things before I actually know what it is I’m paying for (especially when it comes to post-D3 Blizzard products), it’s the principle of it that matters, not my means of affording it.

3 Likes

I was solo when i got loot. I don’t remember ever getting loot from groups and obviously no one shared loot. I remember an aquaintance that used a program to get loot. In town we tried it even though i was next to the item and he had to travel he still got it. It didn’t take me long to start soloing.

3 Likes

You can’t do it with lite modding. The files that can be easily modded simply specify what drops where, not who gets it.

If they add personal loot there’s also the question how they are to apply the magic find (MF) mechanic. Right now with FFA loot the MF of the player making the killing blow is counted, but they may change this if they add personal loot.

I’d say it would be more anti-leeching practical to first apply the loot roll (who gets the item) and then only the MF of the player making the killing blow to be taken in consideration for his personal loot only. This would be a very slight penalty to personal loot in comparison to FFA loot, but will reduce the leeching effect.

See I was never sure how MF worked. It never gave a real good description other than “increases magic find”

What? Quantity of item? Quality of item? I absolutely hated “MF” builds and never enjoyed running with them, even if I thought I could notice an increase in drops when some of my items had MF on them.

It seems a lot more complicated than what meets the eye, adding this and then having to adjust that and then next to you know, you’re diving into complete revamps which granted, is going to have to happen anyway given the increased resolution altering radius of skills and aggression range of mobs.

It remains to be seen but I do highly doubt that they implement such changes to such a core feature.

I’d like to know what the MF increase is for 8 player games as opposed to solo play. I didn’t know that the person that gets the last hit is what determines the MF modifier.

Wouldn’t you want to run MF builds solo to ensure that you got the last hit? On top of getting all the drops for yourself.

shrug

MF is huge in D2. It’s the most important stat at Season’s start when you want to accumulate wealth as fast as possible in the lvl85 areas. My advice is to aim 100~200 MF (increase gradually not over compromising your kill speed), and farm some of these areas until you have enough wealth to push your next build you are after.

Regarding loot in D2 you have to know these 3 basic, but super important things:

• MF increases the chance an item you find to be magic, rare, set or unique
  • Multiplayer (or /players[1-8] command) increases the item quantity (total number of items dropping)
  • You can’t find all items at every place in the game (see lvl85 article above)
1 Like

@Skelos: you are both correct and wrong. MF is ultra important if you are after charms and uniques. But if you are farming lvl85 areas for say, runes and bases for runewords, MF can actually be detrimental. (you don’t WANT that thresher to drop as magical, you want an eth 4 sock)

as far as personal loot goes, I’m conditionally for it and conditionally against it.

I’m against it if: they fix the ability to use third party plugins such as auto pick. I don’t want the loot to become trivial like it is in d3. because trading exists, you want the loot to be as rare are feasibly possible while still being attainable. Finding a BIS pair of unique gloves doesn’t mean beans if it’s for a build you aren’t playing and the market is so flooded with them that you can’t trade them for an item you’d like.

I’m all for personal loot if the game is going to be the same 3rd party hack fest that it is on bnet. but not full personal loot. IE: don’t make it 8x’s the drops. Make the loot assigned by a random number generator. each person has a .125 chance at any given item. (8 players, .125 each) I would also make your personal MF contribute to your chance to be awarded an item. IE: each point of MF increases your chances by .001. so 100 MF=10% chance. so if you had 100 MF, you’d have a .225 chance to get the item. If you strike the killing blow, you have an additional 10%. so if you have 100 MF AND strike the killing blow, you’d have a 32.5% chance to obtain any given item. the remaining players would have a .0964 chance, or 9.64% chance at any given item from that drop. (67.5 divided by the remaining 7 players)

9.64% may seem low, but it’s a damn sight better than you 0% you have now with the auto grabbers. Obviously if all players are running some MF, the numbers would get ultra complicated. But that’s why we have computers, so that my hair doesn’t start on fire trying to figure it out.

If a barbarian horks a corpse, that loot should be his and his alone. The sorc doesn’t have horking capabilities, why should she get anything?

any item that is assigned to you that hasn’t been picked up within 30 seconds is assigned as “free for all” and subject to the old system. Just because my lvl 90 barb doesn’t need or want a magical wand, doesn’t mean that nobody should get it.

1 Like

MF has no relation to runes’ drop chances.

If you are after white items of course you want to be with 0 MF.

I remember how the things was back in diablo 2 LOD, the game was infested by BOTS, PIckIT cheats, and map hacks, and dont forget the infamous d2JSP where people used to do RMT.

i dont want any of this EVER AGAIN, so please blizzard at D2R we NEED personal loot. Anyone who played diablo 2 at that epoque remembers

2 Likes