D2R: Personal/Instanced Loot is a MUST for this game!

It is not a nerf to what you can loot on average. In theory, the same player can win all 5 items. Just unlikely.
In any case, simply saying that shared loot and personal loot should not come with a change in droprates one way or the other. The exact same amount of items should be generated in both modes, and in the exact same way. Some people seem to believe personal loot would result in more items being generated, so it is worth underscoring that it is not the case.

I would definitely be against personal loot being added to D2R, if it resulted in more items being generated.

Well, I dont know how PoE loot rules work. But this is certainly a fairly standard way to handle things.

This is pointless. We both want personal loot - you just don’t want anyone to say that there is a nerf when in actuality there are now fewer things you can loot. That’s a nerf as the game never worked on averages it was first click first get.

The nochangers don’t want personal loot because they want to be able to click everything and some are better at it, or cheat, to do so. It IS a nerf to them.

Sure. Just not a nerf to the droprate, which is completely unchanged. It might seem as semantics, but people are more likely to be against it, if you present it as a droprate nerf.

Yep, most of the people I see so far that want FFA loot are either going to be cheaters or are currently noobs. Huge surprise.

Even someone like me who has put in thousands of hours into D2, and still plays today, has to be realistic. The game is certainly amazing but to think some things, like loot, balance, etc don’t need to be changed is silly. If I wanted no changes I would just play vanilla.

Having an option for drops and such is the only way everyone will be happy.

3 Likes

Bingo :laughing: :upside_down_face:

Shadout is correct.

Exactly. In a 8 player game, if Baal drops 5 items, then 3 players get nothing. The loot system makes no difference. For both FFA and personal loot systems, it is possible for 1 player to get all the drops.

The difference is how loot is distributed. FFA is first clicked, first gets (this becomes problemetic at it leads to ninja looting and cheating). In personal loot 8 player game, the loot distribution (assuming not ordered drops) would typically be based on a binomial distribution. In this case, we can calculate the probability of getting 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 drops (X in the formula) on a per character basis (where the total sum of drops in the party equal 5.

P(X=0) = 0.512908935546875
P(X=1) = 0.366363525390625
P(X=2) = 0.10467529296875
P(X=3) = 0.01495361328125
P(X=4) = 0.001068115234375
P(X=5) = 0.000030517578125

The difference is who dictates who get those 5 items though right? The Player has a chance to get what they WANT because they can see the drops and grab the correct item, not let the game dictate the item it decides I can randomly get out of the pile.

Yeah. Hence having an option on game creation makes sense. Pick the distribution system you prefer.

2 Likes

Seems like a bad idea to have so many separated game modes with a dwindling player base, especially when most of the people freaking out to massively change a game, that they have often criticized to death previous, probably won’t even be playing it a month after purchase. After that new car smell wears off most of the Die hard D:3/D:I players will bail.

Only if they click first. Often, you can not even see the drops since they are picked up so fast. Also, you discount the inherent bias between melee and ranged characters, ninja looters, and cheaters.

Again make it optional at game creation. You play with the ninja looters while I don’t.

Poor Amazon.

When I see the current PC playerbase is split between the original game and mods, I wonder if you think D2R is going to be such a failure that it will be worse than the current situation and everyone needs to play the same.

The voice of reason (not about respecs costs in D4) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

After which the people who wanted shared loot can keep creating games with that rule, completely unaffected.

If this was some huge change, that would take hundreds of development hours, then sure, might not be worth it. But it is hard to imagine adding an automatic item roll, and some rule on who can pick up an item or not (which might already exists in D2 for quest items etc.), will take a ton of time to implement.

Difference is, whether you can respec actually changes the game. This does not.

The Vice of reason seems more fun than the voice of reason.

1 Like

As is the nature of vices… :thinking:

ther is already personal loot in d2. its called solo play… you welcome…

1 Like

Even if they were to switch completely to personal loot, you can still play FFA in solo games.

1 Like

it goes both ways… so we agree on they dont need to fix anything about the loot right?

I agree that we do not need to fix anything with FFA loot.* Blizzard justs need to add a separate personal loot option. Problem solved. You play your way and I play mine.

• I would try to eliminate duping, botting, and cheating but that is irrespective of the loot system.

but personal loot is in the solo play, so you already got it. why need more? then everyone just want more and more

i agree on thet 100%

because I want personal loot in multiplayer. Are we really going to talk in circles? If so, in personal loot system, you have FFA when you play solo. :face_with_monocle:

Give both options. It is not my way or the highway. I wish that others could have a similar sensibility.

3 Likes