D2R GPU Temps are up there!

Seems you might run a old CPU. my 9900k isn’t even using 20% and is almost not being used at all. Might also have dust in the cpu cooler or not mounted the cooler in a good way, if you have a good cpu and still get high temps. The CPU temp atleast should not be that high.

Instead of downclocking your cpu, just power limit your GPU and as in my test previosly, you might save some wattage since the game seems to use it without really being necessary. If you’re worried about cpu try do a CPU bench and look at the temps.

Yes something is absolutely strange. They need to get aware of it. It isn’t normal that the Wattage is 240 with 120 fps but when power limiting and still have the same fps, it only uses 180. Something is not right with that.

Im thinking if it may be the legacy mode (switching with G button) that is running in background using those extra watts, which is completly at waste. I have no idea really, might be if its using some kind of upscaling algorithm, but i’ve not noticed it. It might then use the “extra spare power” to upscale it, but ive not noticed it. Its just really strange.

The fix for this at the moment is to or/also use the GPU Power limit in Msi Afterburner. It lowers the watts and temps while still having same fps. Also, im sorry if some might take my posts as me being a smartass. Its not what i want to sound like or be like. Just want to help fix this problems.

Temporary fix for strange GPU usage that lowers the wattage and temps the game seems to use in the background/without doing nothing

• To limit the GPU (This is safe, it will not wreck your computer only tested it with Nvidia don’t know how AMDs work)

• Download MSI Afterburner at Guru3d, just google it (this is a well known OC software, nothing to be worried about, this will NOT overclock your GPU for those who are worried

• Install it, then in bottom right under “Fan”, there is a POWER LIMIT (%) which should be at 100% (Since 100% is full value the games and other software can use your GPU at from factory, which is the maximum wattage of your GPU from factory. Also, this is NOT overclocking anything unless you set it over a 100% to something like 110%)

• Just set the value at something lower than 100, until you reach a point where either your GPU temp is as low as you want or your fps is as low as you want, mine can run at 55% and still 120 fps for example. This will not crash the game or PC it will only limit how much wattage the GPU is able to use atm. Then click Apply. You’ll have to do this every time you restart pc unless you click to auto apply at startup of pc, top right “Windows” icon

• If you want to test this for yourself just use Geforce experience and press ALT + R to bring up Performance overlay and test with and without power limit and you should see the Wattage value will be lower at the same fps when using power limit instead/together with fps limit

2 Likes

Yep, nothing changed.
I can play with 60 fps limit or with a higher limit (let’s say 100), but with Environmental Quality on low. I’m not gonna choose either of that. Even on 75 fps with high EQ the temp just climbs up to maximum within a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Yep same problem here with Super Rtx 2060 even when I limit the fps to 60. I have like 70-75 degrees and the usage is only around 55-60% which is really small given that temp. Something is really off. Also the Afterburner stats crash after 10 min in this game.

I think you might be right.

The 21 year old 2D engine is directing the 2021 3D engine, rather than a native 3D engine responding to direct user input.

There’s got to be syncing issues going on with frame buffers and who knows what else. And, do we know how the 2D engine works? Does the game try to load the entire map you’re in at one time? Does it prodecutally draw and then undraw the nearest environments? Is the engine running in the old 2D mindset or a modern 3D mindset?

I’m not a tech expert, but I wonder if this experiment is just doomed to fail because there are too many dependencies involved between two engines separated by 3 or 4 generations of gaming hardware.

2 Likes

I guess its atleast problematic for them trying to optimize that. I mean graphics wise, this game should be able to run much higher fps i think for most people. Its not even using RTX or any other advanced graphics option. A clean new engine solely for this game would have been the best, but we might have had to wait much longer and it doesen’t seems blizzard want to put their money in for that thing to happen. As i get it, D2R is just layered on top of the old engine. Sounds like thats can be whats causes people to not have more fps in the game.

id rather take the old engine with higher resolutions than what it currently is. ngl
seems like they will fail miserably yet again like they did with warcraft3 reforged.

when will they learn?

I’m not sure how they compare technically, but games like PoE and Divinity Original Sin 2 are very pretty, smooth running games with similar top-down gameplay that don’t heat up my system this much.

Seems there’s a lot more going on under the hood of D2R just to get get the same level of graphics generated, compared to those other games. Even Diablo 3 runs much cooler and smoother.

2 Likes

Same here

• GPU zotac 3070 ti oc 80C°
  • CPU i7 9700k 70C°

well done…

1 Like

Same here 80º celsius, with low to medium settings

Gtx 1050 TI
Intel I7 8750H

I hope the team can figured out this issue…

1 Like

the issue is that the game goes straight into drawing as much power it can, regardless of utilisation/settings. only thing that helps is to set power limits.

Using fps limits also helps a little bit, but its still drawing more power than needed to achieve the fps cap thats set.

My pc just shut down while playing D2 beta. I don’t know exactly why.

I was just finally getting to play a bit today, seeing if anything had changed.

I did do a short recording of the game (bit over 8 minutes) to show the FPS, graphic settings and a quick run through of the tower in A1. Will post that once it uploads.

But essentially the in-game settings for graphics are fully maxed out. Game turns a pretty solid 60FPS and is smooth. Sometimes when transitioning between waypoints and doorways to levels it stutters a small amount, but nothing severe. Heck the recording suffered more than the play experience.

While playing, I was monitoring temps and usage in the background.

My system is an i3 7100 (3.9GHz top end). 32GB of DDR4 2400 (2x16). MSI ITX 250i based system. MSI GTX 1660 normal (not Super, not TI). 6GB of DDR5. Game is running from an SATA based SSD 2TB drive, but have a 512GB NVME drive for OS.

Ambient temperature is 72F.

CPU temp topped out at 61C/141F (stock fan cooler) 26.70W, 100% usage.
GPU temp topped out at 67C/153F (stock fan cooler) with a hotspot of 79C/173F with 106.48W, 100% usage.

Keep in mind, this was after making changes with the nvidia control panel last weekend to control the FPS. Anyway, runs reasonably cool even at max settings on a sub-average/average system.

Before the changes last weekend, it was running 12-13C higher on the GPU with 121W of power usage. (GPU was 81C, hot spot had hit 91C)

I will be installing an i5 6700k in a week (its here now), along with a liquid cooled setup for it. ITX case won’t fit a larger air cooled cooler, so going liquid cooled for just the CPU.

Holy smokes!!!

I have this exact issue. This is the ONLY game that has pushed the temperature of my 3090 go over 80’c. It generally sits at 81’c while playing.

If I set the render scale to 74 instead of 100, the temps immediately drop down almost 20’c to 61-62’c.

i7 10700k, 32GB ddr 4, msi 3090 suprim-x.

Well my potato PC managed to handel the game whitout issues on high settings. I was realy suprised.

they’ve added 200fps hardcap -.- even in legacy mode xD
despite low utilisation GPU still draws as much power as it can.

you have 120w tdp card, i could manually blow on it once in a while to cool it… like you do with hot food

Wow. You really are a genius aren’t you?

Point was, that despite having the graphics cranked to max, scaling to 100%, I was able to drop the temps to a more reasonable range by locking the FPS alone and it still ran smooth and steady.

This should be done rendering, but here was a video of the game running on my system:

The recording audio skipping and hiccups were not in the game itself. I’m assuming its due to the demand of the game overriding the performance of the recording app.

Sure, I could lower graphic settings, reduce scaling, but I shouldn’t have to if the game was optimized better.

My older 980 would probably use more power, but more power doesn’t = efficiency. Most of the newer cards use less power at the same tier anyway due to updated architecture.

yea the problem however is that most new cards have an extremely high powerlimit, which this game just likes to be at constantly no matter whats your settings or gpu utilisation, unless you cap your fps or lower your resolutionscaling but even then its drawing more than it actually needs to reach the capped fps. (better off with limiting your gpu’s powerdraw manually in afterburner)

reducing ingame settings does nothing on high end cards everything set to low/off still draws 100% of the gpus powerlimit even when the gpu is below 20% usage.

Absolutely broken game, if this goes live as is, developers should lose their jobs…

i mean this game draws literally more power than maxed out unigine heaven. In future ill use this instead of superposition for stability testing to overclock my GPU… xD
just use a 8k display kk…

Wish people would be less personal in here. And keep things on topic. I am happy for people trying to offer non official alternative methods to help solve the issues at hand for the time being. But I also prefer if people would stop calling each other out and pointing fingers. This really helps no one. I would rather have the dev team respond personally and verify the issue being a software driven problem or not.