D2R GPU Temps are up there!

Same here
3700x + msi 3090 rtx in 3440x1440 température is very high… (78°) I’ll try to put in 60 hz

The problem likely lies within the upscaling algos.

Blizz should have remastered this game from the ground up and forgone the old graphics. Tossing out the old graphics and using a modern engine would have been the way to go.

I have Minecraft Dungeons installed that uses the Unreal Engine 4 - MC Dungeons was partly inspired by the Diablo franchise. Under full load, max settings, my CPU cores run at around 32-36c (AIO water cooler) and the GPU stays around 39-41c (air cooled). The graphics are amazing in this game, stunning actually.

What’s unfolding with D2R is a train wreck. I’m not optimistic this will truly be fixed anytime “soon”.

my radeon r9 380 get gpu spikes after minutes of playtime.
every 5 seconds for 1/2 second spikelags.
its unplayable.

edit: idk its just weird. atm its smooth. i cant even figure out whats the problem.
trying several things since 19:15 mesz ;D

Everyone, PLEASE do some research in this forum for improvements to lower ur GPU temp. I HIGHLY suggest you cap your FPS to 60 within your Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > “add” > Game.exe (that’s D2R name for some reason) > Max Frame Rate (60) > Apply.

Even if you have a high end godly PC, this will even help you out as well if ur rocking a RTX 30 series GPU if you are experiencing high temp issues.
Also, if you need or want to, enable V-Sync (I don’t b/c I use G-Sync w/ a 240Hz monitor). Also, check your MSI Afterburner fan curves (if you have that) which does assist in fan cooling.

After playing 1 hour of D2R with this (my) set up, max temp was 47C including max fan speed at 46. Notably, I also keep the AC in my house at 66F.

RTX 3070 GPU temperature 80 C
Not even mentioning CPU issues, it’s doing something weird where it hoards all of the CPU available power. Try running something cpu intensive while playing this game, the PC will freeze.

I don’t know why people are making huge tests with the game to see why it uses so much GPU. Its the simplest of all thing

LIMIT THE FPS OF THE GAME

The game is free running the fps since there is no fps limiter in menus or in-game. It will always maximize the usage because of that. It won’t help lower the settings, it still will run with as much FPS as it can get thus maximizing load on the GPU. Since its also PER FRAME basis it will do that harshly on the gpu, meaning it will use alot of power. If you lower settings the only thing that will happen is you will get same temperature and higher fps.

So again

LIMIT YOUR FPS IN NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL

and please blizzard, add Fps limit in the settings since it seems alot of people don’t understand this (based on this thread)

Still, the game can’t “magically overlock your gpu voltage to run higher than anythign else”
Nvidia GPUs usually run as hot as 70-75c and AMD can run a bit higher, unsure but i think 80-90C something. Just look up your owned model and see. If you get too high temp its probably a faulty card or you need to clean it of dust or get better airflow in your pc. As i said, the game cant just use more power than the GPU is specced for. If you want to test it just run a demanding gpu benchmark as look at the temps.
And if you’re running it on a laptop, well, thats your problem. Bad airflow for GPU in almost all cases and often dusty.

1 Like

having a game thats well able to max out your GPU and does reach for most FPS able to deliver, doesnt mean it has to be diablo2 Furmark edition. There is something absolutely wrong, even with 60/120FPS caps and low utilisation the GPU gets hotter than it should be.

and tbh 60fps/hz gaming sucks even in diablo2.

This game still draws 240watts on my 2080ti when its capped to 120fps (with lowest possible settings)

https://imgur.com/a/CcazJra

Its reach for most fps able to deliver simply cause there is no fps limit. Almost all games today has FPS limits for menus and so on to not get this problem. I remember Squad had this problem also in the menus if you unlocked the fps.

However, capping the fps is the solution. Just use ALT+R with nvidia and look at the fps graphs and see what it uses, then limit it down by 30fps lower than the lowest it drops to.

For example, if im pending around 120-150 fps, then set the limit in Nvidia to 80/110 and test what seems to give best results.

Also another thing that is good to get a stable temp is to power limit in Msi Afterburner for those who uses it. Takes literally 2 sec to do that.

well by that logic csgo with 700fps should make your GPU explode, it doesnt.
And it actually looks even better.

It has nothing to do with the FPS, this game is just a power virus.

Well, i have discussed this with some people over on reddit and teached them how it works, you may well take a look for yourself. Its exactly how it works and i don’t have time arguing with people that won’t accept how pcs work. You can well go and look at it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/p72duw/open_beta_is_getting_patched_and_server_side/h9ma1qn?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

You can also see my other answers there to learn of how things work.

Shortly why Csgo isn’t using your GPU is simple if you know a little of computers. Its because its an old game which mainly uses your CPU and is CPU limited by threads. Source engine can’t use more than as i remember 4 threads, thus the GPU never becomes the bottleneck in the menus. Its actually really unoptimized for todays computers in a way. And even then, i think it can’t utilize all those threads to a 100% either since its so old game. Please look at facts and don’t argue in the blind.

I mean, my CPU in csgo as i remember is used like 30% and my gpu the same when playing. Lets say im running around with 300 fps with that, then what i actually would get if it was optimized and a much better and modern engine, i should be able to have like 1000 fps and it would utilize all my hardware. Which its not since its so old. This is with 9900k and a Rtx 3080.

oh trust me when i say i know much more than you can ever imagine.
Matter of a fact every GPU load works different, and a graphical load that looks that bad isnt supposed to be such a power hog.

It has literally nothing to do with “FPS” but just the power the load consumes while trying to achieve maximum performance, and current state of this game is, it will just suck up every tiny bit it can, just like furmark. 50% utilisation for 240watts, no that doesnt seem right to me unless its furmark…

In games thats usually never the case. I cant remember of a single game that does this, bottlenecks or not.

So yea, you are wrong. its completely out of balance.

So on my old faithful 1070, max settings, around 40 FPS in game, temp is at 62 degrees celsius, does not seem to go up

Well if you knew so much, how come you didn’t about Csgo that you argued about should have used more GPU resources? Im not an expert at all about optimization, but i’ve been working on it in unreal engine with lowering details of models, LODs, lower complexity of objects and other stuff to optimize the fps for games. Not on a professional level but still enough to know very much about it.

In the screenshot you provided, your GPU is only at 52c, which is quite cool. Its strange that the menu says its using 280watts of power if its only 52c, maybe you just started and the top gpu temp didn’t reach. I think im peaking about 55-60c with 120fps limit and power limit to 60%. Im gonna test it now and see how many watts it says.

But as you say, and as i answered on a other reddit post about the graphic being “quite bad and still low fps” thats about optimization. Thats however a separate thing. Reason for that i stated here: Why D2R might use more GPU than what it maybe should for the graphics given

"Well, i guess thats might be because as i understand it, it runs still on the old engine on top of the old game. Might be problems for them doing more of optimizations since it isn’t a entirely “new game” with a new engine, but is rather using some new technique layered on top of that old engine. There are alot of games that could push your computer to the knees, just play Cyberpunk 2077 with everything maxed at atleast 1080p or try Warzone and you’ll see that you are not going to go above that. It depends on the games you play really.

I mean, 140 fps is not a performance issue in the end. Even tho one might think that the graphics isn’t the best i think it might be because of that reason stated above. Guess themself have to answer for it.

Also running a lower quality setting shouldn’t lower the usage as long as another part of your pc has to work more since you turn off a option that is using that specific part. The only thing you should get is higher fps, but with the same usage. Only way to lower the usage of a game that uses your hardware to the max (which again is a good thing) is to limit fps. AMD is also notorious for having high temps in their card. Always been. They run much hotter than Nvidia. I don’t know the recommended temp for 5700 but you might also want to limit the fps to not run above 80c."

Okey so testing with my 3080. 120 Fps limit, it uses around 240 watts, around 59-60 temp with fans almost not being used. Render latency is around 5ms. Gpu usage is around 65% and 99%bps ~ 109 accoring to performance overlay.

Now also using power limit in Msi Afterburner to 55% with 120 fps lock
186 watts seems to be used (this is strange), still the same fps (not dropping under 120) Gpu temp around 55-56c, render latency 6,5-7ms, Gpu usage around 89-95% (this is higher because i have power limited in Afterburner thus my gpus max value is less since it ain’t as powerful because the “downclock”), 99%bps ~ 110.

So what is strange is that with fps being locked to 120, it uses 240watts of power according to Nvidia performance overlay, also running around 59c.

However when i hard limit the gpu with power limit in Afterburner to 55% i still get 120 fps and same 99%bps, a 1 ms higher render latency but only 185 watts being used, temp is also a little lower of around 55c.

Wonder if its running somehow in the background the old legacy version at the same time or something that eats some wattage of the gpu? And when hard limiting with power limit in Afterburner it limits the background usage that it can use while still mainting same fps in the game. Something is strange.

because your statement implied that others could think its about “fps” and that it is “normal behavior” when its not.

Its about powerdraw.

Where did i say my gpu draws 280watts? its 240watts and 52°C, the load wasnt applied for long, just started the game and made a screenshot. But my card has a quite beefy cooler.

The problem is not my temperatures, the problem is the imbalance between utilisation/powerdraw and performance.

Having a 2080ti capped to 120fps getting to 50%+ utilisation with a draw of 240w is an anomaly. This kind of ratio’s you wouldnt expect from a gaming load at all. Thats the problem with this game.

The real solution might be to undervolt, why should anyone have to undervolt the GPU just to not worry about it? Its obvious that this game wont live long if such things are the foundation of this project.

They didnt even worry to build an FPS cap into the game, with the suggestion that poeple should enable vsync just to reduce the utilisation with the “expected” fps cap of 60.

News to blizzard people dont often use 60hz monitors anymore. This doesnt help.

I have FPS capped as 60FPS. It does nothing to lower temps.

The only way I can lower temps when playing this game is to underclock my CPU to 3.5GHZ (from 4.5 GHZ).

THEN, the game runs cooler.

It’s not just the GPU - it the CPU that’s getting too hot too fast as well. It practically spikes from 60C to 90C in less than 2 seconds at times. It’s crazy. Benchmarking programs don’t stress CPUs that fast.

Please look at my previous post, i did some testing and came up with that something seems wrong.

Its kinda a separate problem and we start to talk about different issues now. But still, a game with uncapped Fps and that is heavily gpu utilized will eat GPUs resources hard. This can be tested with Squad in main menu, just uncap the fps in the main menu and the gpu will get really hot. This is what seems to be the problem most users are having to understand.

However, as i stated above in the post, it seems to be a other kind of issue where its also using alot of watts thats not being rendered to in the main game view, as tested with the power limit im able to only give the game 180 watts of power by limiting to 55% and 120 fps. If i remove power limit it uses 240 instead with gpu temp around 59-60. My gpu will uncapped be at about 70c heat without fps cap and without power limit

yea just wanted to point out that this behavior isnt normal/usual. So we got to a point where we both can agree on.

If they don’t fix the problem then I will have to make a refund. The gpu runs like a jet engine. There is no power limit. :confused:

1 Like

I’m trying to imagine how bad Act 5 will be out in those big fields with the catapults blasting everything…

3 Likes