Character models haven't been fixed

Fair enough? I guess. G’day~ We’ll all be playing one way or another, despite you somehow extracting that I have a problem with the game, or the assets, or their choices, lol.

I think MLK was thankful for his Freedom of Speech and Right to Assemble.

7 Likes

I really don’t understand how female creative designed characters went from Lara croft Pre reboot Tomb Raider, Jill Valentine from Resident Evil, Claire from RE2, Blood Raven from Diablo 1, Samus Arran from Metroid Prime, Regina from Dino Crisis and plenty more of that same era.
None of those characters didn’t have over exaggerated body types none of them did. In fact, many of those characters above, especially Capcom’s characters were designed around actual models. Ever heard of Julia Voth?

At the end of the day, Those characters were my childhood and I am simply not going to just pass them off in a post Gamer Gate games industry.

3 Likes

We actually had a whole discussion on the ponytail aspect and I think it was in this thread. It is only practical with an open style helm. If you have a closed one it is a big lump that does not fit. And…it whips you in the face like hell when you do anything spinny and it blows in your face, eyes, and mouth. Have you tried to shoot a bow with your hair blowing in demonic sulfur winds? You pull the bow string back to your cheek then HAIR. It screws up your release. Braids are far more practical.

But still, with the awesome graphics that are really gritty, realistic, etc. A cartoon exaggerated version of the perky ponytail princess OR some balloon bicep bodybuilder barb would look just wrong to me. The current char models fit the new environment and monster art. Yes, i was skeptical at first, but I am now really happy with it.

The game stands on its own - it does not need gimmicks to sell it.

4 Likes

while this ART style isn’t a deal breaker, this does go against the very nature of the original game.

Are there actually people here that think the classes are a good reflection of the original models? This is a re-master, and should respect the original models.

IF this was a diablo 4, they can do whatever they want with it.

9 Likes

And that is why when the amazon puts on a closed helmet her pony tail goes away, and she is no longer a pony tail princess (it was the same way in D2), though still perky. Braids are practical, for sure, and I don’t particularly have a problem with the braids – they do fit more of the amazonian vibe than a pony tail, I will even say. Still – it is Diablo 2, not a reality simulator. The amazon was themed after the Rogues, and that theme goes all the way back to Diablo 1. Now, it is gone in D2R.

I have no problem with them adding some grit to the characters. Scars, more muscle, etc. I think the amazon can have a strong, athletic look and still be perky. I think the barbarian can still be a hulking giant of a man and still have scars.

I do not think fantastical characters are a gimmick. I think they are part of a fantasy game. I also do not think the original characters are gimmicky, cartoonish depictions lacking in grit or character.

9 Likes

Not that she has braids in D2R, but yeah, it would be awesome and better.

At least we agree on a few things.

Yeah, she is still a pony tail princess, but she has a manly face (fighting demons does not transform your bone structure to be more manly)

I do enjoy 99% of the art and changes they made to the art. I just resent the idea that female heroes have to have their sexuality and physical attractiveness diminished to be considered proper heroes, to be realistic, etc.

It is okay to be attractive and also strong. You don’t have to be Megan Rappinoe (the D2R version of Amazon) to play soccer (fight demons). You can be Sofia Jakobsson (D2:LoD Amazon) and still play soccer (fight demons)

4 Likes

The current char models fit the new environment and monster art.

I am not going to refund my pre purchase because the Amazon doesn’t look like a perky ponytail princess or a barbie doll as someone put it. I am content with what the amazon currently looks like from the early access beta. Seeing her original outfit design from classic D2 would be nice to see in all of the updated visuals that’s in Diablo II Resurrected as a throwback or something. It’s also nice they kept the original VO as well. Even though the alpha version of the zon didn’t match with the new zon.

1 Like

The whole point of D2R is to throwback to the original, so yeah it would be great if they did that :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Speaking of the Olympics, did you see how horribly the South Korean archer was treated by her home country for having short hair? She was not “feminine” enough. She won Gold anyway :1st_place_medal:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/archery-south-koreas-an-brushes-off-hairstyle-critics-reach-final-2021-07-30/

3 Likes

I personally don’t find short hair to be attractive, but lots of people do, and she should wear her hair how she wants to. Critics will always abound. It is the nature of being a human, and also the nature of being in the spotlight. I am happy to here she has a strong character and sense of self, and disregarded the criticisms and brought home another gold. Bravo!

Luckily for the amazon, she is not a thinking, feeling, breathing human that exists in our reality, so a pony tail won’t get in her face. Additionally, she will be ignorant to any slights about her being a perky pony tail princess who does not appear to be the type of person who would fight off demons.

3 Likes

I love how he didn’t directly address your statement, because there is no answer.

Current “polite” society wants to have it both ways. It’s tiresome, and I thought the evangelical censorship of the 90s was overboard.

That being said, i don’t think Vicarious Visions made the characters look that way out of an “agenda”.

However, if you can’t at minimum modify character models, then the only “mods” will probably UI mods, which is of course what the vast amount of people didn’t mean when they asked, “Will mods be supported?”

No one knows til the 23rd.

4 Likes

Neither of us can say for sure. I think it was. You don’t. That’s fine – I think we can probably both agree that something as foundational as the look and feel of the heroes we play should match the original as closely as possible? That isn’t a super great place to take artistic liberties. It is probably the cosmetic thing that players are attached to the most.

Right…but as I said, the exaggerated proportions that worked in a pixel game, and the gimmicks to sell things, don’t work for me in D2R.

Having Perky Ponytail Princess and Balloon Bicep Bodybuilder Barb would look very out of place in the gritty and gory realistic new environment art. Much like the carebears and unicorns in D3. I laughed a LOT because those were certainly an 80’s thing too, but yeah.

So… perky breasts cease to exist if the world is too realistic/gritty?

There is no way they could pull off a realistic look of a hulking barbarian that looks, as you pointed out I believe, like Arnold Schwarzenegger, a real living and breathing human? Sure they could dirty him up a bit to convey the life of combat thing, but him looking like a man that exists IRL is too cartoonish for you?

I don’t really see a disconnect between fantastical proportions and characters and gore/grit. Again, Andariel exists. You fight Uduars that are like 20 feet tall with arms the size of two people.

Big breasts and big muscles are hardly the most outlandish body images portrayed in Diablo 2.

3 Likes

The cartoony silliness of D3, which did include hulking barbarians and scantily clad ladies (though with smaller breasts but was not cartoony or silly for those reasons) made me… well lets say I didn’t find it funny.

“Meat bad, Vegetables Good” ~ Butcher

Faerie Princess Maghda.

Unicorns, care bears, and whimsyshire.

Awful. Awful.

1 Like

The existence of the .1% is valid. Certainly. It even inspires fantasy tropes to look like them. However, it is not what the rest of folks look like. Movie stars, actresses, models, are not the ones winning the Olympics IRL or fighting demons.

It was a gimmick to sell the game - must like booth babes, girls in bikinis on cars, etc. Sex sell, no doubt. Do you NEED to have someone appeal to that to sell you something though?

Advertising appeals, no doubt.

2 Likes

I mean, the Amazon looking like a 55 year male baseball coach is pretty bad, but I don’t play Amazon. So as much lip as I give the issue, it won’t ultimately bother me.

The Assassin being completely race changed is a big annoyance. I’m expecting some eastern European femme fatale and instead I get Shang Tsung. I was looking forward to playing her, but every time I log in I’m going to reminded that “Natalya” is gone.

3 Likes

Do you really want to talk about chest size and sports? Short of made for TV stuff very very very very very few women who are athletic have large chests. It is painful, gets in the way, and requires a lot more body fat than elite athletes have to maintain.

Working out and having low body fat means a petite chest - which is preferred if you need to run, engage in any form of combat, etc.