Captain Crimson's damage increase VS primal ancient sword's "+10% damage" stat

Hello guys, this is my first threads so be kind :slight_smile:

I’m doing a season path with the Crusader.

I gained a Primal Ancient Skycutter with “+10% damage” stat.
I also bought Captain Crimson’s full set so i get the full set bonus, even the 3 pieces part.

The full set part i have problems to understand is the infamous “Damage dealt is increased by your percentage of cooldown reduction”.

I thought: If i replace sword’s “+10% damage” with “+10 skills cooldown reduction”, i can have cooldown reduction (by the sword) and also the +10% damage that comes wearing the Crimson’s set.
Is this correct or not?

I saw that total damage stats got down when i replaced the sword’s damage characteristic and I started wandering in this forum, searching how the set really works.

Discussions i found:

i think i’m right, but i’m not so strong in english so i fear i miss something!

The cool down will not show up in sheet damage. The 10% is also not additive. So if you have a current 40% cool down then adding 10% will only net you 6%. They take your current CDR from 100% and multiply the added cool down to that

(100%-40%)x10%

So the higher current CDR you have the less return fo adding more

1 Like

thank you for the quick reply.
so it’s definitely better to leave the “+10% damage” stat on the sword rather than change it to “+10% cooldown reduction”, right?

Not necessarily, most folks would go for the CDR for more uptime on your buffs and direct damage increase if wearing captain crimson. The weapon damage is multiplied by your main stat, to determine initial damage before other effects are calculated. Captain crimson multiplied along with your other multipliers. If you’re hitting for 100k before crimson and have 40 CDR you essentially hit for 140k. That’s not exact but kind of the gist of it.

1 Like

ok, so, due to the fact that my char is also wearing valor set (wich multiplies weapon damage), i’d better keep high weapon damage!

thanks

You could use the D3 planner to make sure which would be more beneficial. You can clone your weapon and change stats and swap to see

this site? hxxps://www.d3planner.com/

damn this is good! thanks a lot

It is pretty awesome. Very helpful tool for comparing items. I created a spreadsheet for quick gear checks but use that to confirm my formulas