BONNIE - D3D error on startup

OK I am an Nvidia RTX 2070 and the game won’t start when I click play. I have done everything from power cycling my computer, router, and even uninstalling and reinstalling the battlenet app. I have seen several reports of the game not starting from multiple people, and if this is a known bug with the latest graphics card updates, I am not going to uninstall those updates to my graphics card because the game won’t launch. I paid good money and spent a lot of time on this game, if this is a known bug, then you need to get your tech support on it, and fix it so we can play it… You can’t blame where the game might be installed, what kind of computer we are playing on… I am playing on a brand new computer that has no consequence to the game launching. Please get back with us so we can get this fixed and continue enjoying the game.

Hey there,

Lets go ahead and grab a DxDiag so we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:
DXDiag goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling reinstalling the normal battlenet app to my c drive and the game still won’t launch. this was after an update with the battlenet app itself. Please fix…

Hey, BONNIE! I see the crashes and it seems to be related to some instruction issues. In the crash reports, I did see a Razer headset on here. Could you see if disabling the Chroma Effects will help resolve the crashing issue?

1. Go to the Documents folder.
  2. Select the Diablo III folder.
  3. Open the D3prefs.txt file using Notepad.
  4. Add or Edit the following line. The value should be 1, like so:
    DisableChromaEffects “1”
  5. Save the file and try Diablo III again.

If it persists, could you include the DxDiag requested above?

1 Like

This fixed my problem, and it took way to long to find the problem online, ugh.