Better Bazooka Fixes

Patch 2.6.8’s fix to Bazooka makes channeling necessary for 1 second to gain the damage. I propose that this can be reduced and still prevent Bazooka from working.

Patch 2.6.7’s fix to Bazooka was to drop channeling buffs once Archon is entered. This fix was bypassed by hitting Archon less than 15ms after channeling was hit. This caused Archon to be entered during the startup time of channeling, then the actually channeling buff was applied after Archon was entered. Since the channeling buffs are only dropped at the beginning of Archon, they remain during Archon.

The longest tick of channeling possible is at 333ms. This means that requiring more than 333ms of channeling would still prevent Bazooka from working. Holding channeling for more than 1 tick and entering Archon should always drop the channeling buffs.

You can lessen the channeling time down from 1 second to 350ms. This would benefit other channeling builds as well. It would also still allow for Regular Star Pact builds to function, as they weren’t intended to be removed in the first place.

Please consider doing this as it removes Bazooka while still not harming other builds as much. Thanks for your time!

[edit] Another solution, although a bit harder to implement, is to not allow the channeling buffs to be gained at any moment during Archon. This solution would not require any delay on channeling damage at all. This would be a much more preferred solution without any negative impact on other builds. I’m not sure if this would be doable with the current limited resources.

[edit2] I’ll record more testing and make a video. It will show exactly what I’m talking about and might be easier to understand.

[edit3] Here is a video that does a better job explaining what I’m talking about:

[edit4] I’ve had to reconsider some things in the video. If the implementation of the channeling requirement is to just move the same activation of the buff to a later time, it might still be possible to use Bazooka. Archon could be entered right before the required time if the activation still occurs due to an ongoing channeling tick. This would cause the channeling bonus to activate during Archon, allowing Bazooka to still work.

If this is the case, even a 1 second requirement might not be enough. I have been able to achieve 1 second of channeling with enough attack speed and resource cost reduction. Although, it might not be reliable to do this constantly, or practical to use.

So the channeling requirement might not work, or will have to be increased to 1.25 seconds. This wouldn’t be ideal so I’m leave some possible fixes that don’t negatively impact non-Archon Star Pact or other channeling builds. I know some things might not be possible to implement.

1. The fix in the video was to not allow channeling bonuses to be gained while in Archon.

2. Entering Archon cancels the startup of any channeling skills, preventing them from activating.

3. Delay the buffs of Archon (30% Archon state damage, and Archon stacks) for half a second. Also prevent Archon stacks from being added from kills during this time. This would make Archon worthless for meteor drops.

4. Prevent Archon and Meteor from both being on the skill bar at the same time. This might be easy to implement since the functionality is already there with certain skills (armors/laws). Although, this might seem like a weird restriction.

40 Likes

5Head Ahh Yes. I see!

woudn’t the 350 ms still allow macros to play bazooka though?

No, requiring more than 1 tick of channeling prevents you from entering Archon before it is started.

7 Likes

It is intended by blizzard to kill starpact builds. Starpact and its bazooka variations has been the 4p meta trash killer for multiple seasons now. Its time for this build to die and be nerfed to the ground as it rightfully should.

Hopefully the new WD spirits can have a chance to become trash killer next patch.

It also kills your starpact thats horrible, i had plans for that.

Castable archon could also fix the issue. Archon could be a casted skill which kills all channellings. Which would make people go into archon without any buff.

You are making an assumption that Blizzard intends to kill all Star Pact builds. They have only mentioned Bazooka in their notes, and never Star Pact in general.

The first fix for Bazooka that was attempted in the current Patch 2.6.7 didn’t affect other Star Pact builds. It only removed the Archon interaction. They had to try another fix in 2.6.8 and it seems that other Star Pact builds are collateral damage, while also hurting other channeling builds.

I’m not saying that we should only have Star Pact as a trash killer. I also want other trash killers to be viable. Why not have more than 1 option for trash killing, instead of constantly removing builds?

5 Likes

Couldn’t you just require Star Pact’s dmg to be calculated on your button push instead of the current delay when it hits the ground? To me it seems like a simple fix. They could even just increase the dmg to a perfered amount then.

Calling it now with the current notes. Hydra Wiz going to be new trash killer with arcane attunement and arcane Hydra with all those modifiers plus aoe attack plus area damage.

Spirit WD has a chance I guess, but I keep hearing about the lag it creates

That’s what I suggested in the German forum. But I guess it won’t be that easy.

This isn’t something that can be done. Damage is done at time of impact because different enemies have different armor and etc. Also some enemies can port or walk out of the range of the meteor or even go invulnerable with shielding.

In something like this you would have to calculate the damage when the enemy actually received that damage. You can’t split these 2 things up.

Probably the easiest fix for Bazooka is to tag an effect into Nilfur’s boast giving meteor the Thundercrash rune. This would make starpact build use different weapons as DW, ES & MoC would be useless for it. I don’t know how this interaction with meteor shower + Thundercrash would work, but it would certainly reduce starpacts damage a lot

1 Like

A new video has been added to the original post. Please check it out.

1 Like

But some calculation is done when casting the meteor: how much AP? → why not fixing that amount of damage?

The point of the previous poster was that meteor damage should be snapshoted on cast, and no further multipliers should be applied when the meteor is already animated. Its kind of obvious that that damage would have to be recalculated on impact anyway, as it is with all the other spells.

Because that is part of the spell itself. You have the base damage which is the spell you fire off, and then you have all other outside multipliers. Outside multipliers have to calculate at the same time.

The only spells that can snapshot for d3 are those that act on themselves. Like pets or dots that spread. Basically, spells that carry damage from one point to another at a different time.

isn’t that basically what snap shoting does? when you hit the button, snap shot the area of effect when you hit the button, calculate, be done. i dont know, just seems like that’s how the ability should work if we don’t want stacking involved with Star Pact.

another solution could be to hard lock Star Pact and not have any ability be activated until dmg is finalized.

i thought snapshots happen all the time, when you use your potion or when you go from map to map.

in all, i want to thank Lexyu for his excellent feedback. he’s dedication to the wizard class has been legendary.

Honestly, as much as i love SP Wiz, I’m totally up for another TK. But I do not want WD having back for this, constant lags and freezes are NOT fun to play imho. Would be cool to have Monk or Necro as TK.

or… finally address the swami/ fazula issue. This has been a problem since the twister meta…

just build fazulas into Vyrs 6pc. We can then finally buff up firebirds.

1 Like

I’ve updated the original post with some other suggested fixes. Please take a look.

As crude as it is, I like this as a solution. Maybe we could make it more specific though:

• Prevent the Star pact rune from selection when Archon is on the skill bar.
  • Prevent Archon from being selected when Star Pact Meteor is on the skill bar.
  • If Star Pact and Archon are on the skill bar at the same time, disable them, preventing them from being cast.
1 Like