A Space for Game Changes

Given the hot debate in the community about changes post-launch, what does everybody think about having a space just for trialling changes to the game?

Whether it’s ploot, balance changes, new acts, tower defense games, new items etc…

It could all be confined to this new space.

If it’s something that people deem fits into the core-game without ruining it, it could (potentially) be put in. Else it could remain within the changed space, or even be removed entirely.

Consider it like a trial space. Or just a space to have content that’s not in keeping with the original game. You could even have the option of upgrading characters to it like you do from classic to LoD.

I get some fear it could split the community further, given that we have SP, ladder, non-ladder, HC ladder, non-HC ladder and classic and all its environments too. Indeed, this is something I fear myself. But as community members we can only speculate on whether this would be the case or not. However, the developers would have access to the hard data required for deciding on whether or not this could be achieved.

Leave your thoughts below, and please try to be kind to each other even if you disagree. <3

3 Likes

I’ve posted elsewhere, but I think a “Traditional” realm and a “Modern” (aka “D4 Concept Trial”) realm should be offered. The Traditional for people wanting the normal D2 gaming experience.

The Modern realm would be a place where devs can try out new ideas and concepts. Players could provide valuable feedback - which may help VV in their efforts to design and implement in D4.

1 Like

Well… no

It’s gonna be much more toxic if people are forced to play a certain way because another fraction of the player base want it that way

Like 5 kids at diner and 4 want Tacos and the other wants Borch and the latter screams and cries at the mention of something else than borch and finally the mother gives all 5 borch and the 4 kids that wanted tacos pick on the borch kid for ruining their diner

3 Likes

Yeah I think it makes sense, given the passion that people have for this game I think we should try to cater for as many people as possible without also causing great upset (where possible).

3 Likes

That’s why we need 2 realms: each player base can find a game they’d like to play.

4 Likes

I’d be fine with that. Keep both camps happy!

3 Likes

Thank you

You might be a purists but I have to admit that you make me proud there mate

3 Likes

I think they should just take the World of Warcraft approach. Have a server for Diablo 2 Classic (D2R no-changes) and a server for Diablo 2 Retail (D2R changes).

1 Like

We all love the game, so the best thing we can do for it is find a compromise on change that can keep as many people happy as possible. Of course, we could just be pssng in the wind here as we’re not the devs. But hopefully we can make the forums a nicer place at the least.

1 Like

Since everything will be available non-ladder, I bet you anything that Blizzard will use ladder for game change experiments.

1 Like

You might be right. But that’s going to make a lot of people cry for sure.

I’m not so much purist, but more so extremely cautious on changes due to the powercreep rocket that sent Diablo 3 into the stratosphere when it comes to game progression.

A little change here, a little change there, make things happen faster, and faster, and faster… It all adds (and sometimes multiplies) up.

1 Like

If they split the playerbase with two different servers, the “traditionalist” would be fearful because they would only have bots to play with and players using pickit scripts.

1 Like

As I said in my original post, only the developers are in a position to properly gauge this. Everybody else has to speculate. Indeed, it is something I fear but I would trust their judgement on this given they have the hard data to make the decision properly.

I understand the “split” concern, but we’ve eliminated regional servers. D2R already has whole lot less realms than D2. We can afford to add a single one.

2 Likes

I agree, we should use the WoW classic/retail model. Someone Tweet Rod, he hates me already at this point.

2 Likes

Good point. I think the (hopeful) influx of new players will also help in this regard.

1 Like

Really though, there needs to be more people who want changes to the game to tweet Blizzard. 90% of the Tweets sent to him is from the no-changes crowd that threaten to refund their games if they change it.

1 Like

I’m sure they will read this if it gains enough posts on it and it will avoid a tweet war. We all know how toxic it is there (and I’m a no-changer if it effects others for the record, but I think we need to compromise for the good of the game).

1 Like

No. Changes are completely unnecessary.