A Space for Game Changes

I don’t think that would happen on modern servers… but I could be wrong. I think the biggest fear would be a severely diminished player base resulting in a poor trade community. The FFA group isn’t that big. I think this is why they fight the option so much.

I can’t imagine they would be ok with completely separating playstyle groups given how opposed they are to simply adding a toggle.

This is not a bash on anyone. I honestly do hope FFA loot isn’t shoved in a corner for the fringe people that want that loot system. As mentioned many time, I may advocate for auto allocation, but I will probably never use it. I’d rather be part of the larger community than completely separated.

1 Like

That’s why I said it can be kept separate. Then it doesn’t effect anybody who doesn’t want/like it.

1 Like

The only argument that the “traditionalist” have at this point is that the optional loot system would destroy their pure ecosystem. So having another server would solve this issue for them.

1 Like

D2R will be split less than any D2 supporter ever experienced. Even if they add a change realm, it will be split far less than ever before. Remember, we don’t have regional servers.

I think the main issue is the word “changes”. It implies that the old version will be no more. But that’s not the case with many of these…“optional additions”. So the word “changes” is loaded with misinformation.

1 Like

I don’t care if it’s kept entirely separate from the old game. If it sucks it sucks and I will play D2R without changes. I really don’t want changes added to vanilla D2R that make me go back to OG D2 though because I like the new graphics a lot.

Edit: it’s a bit like D3. I really don’t like it so I still play D2.

1 Like

Tower defense games in D2? Where did that come from? Is that the “next logical step” after getting bugfixes and QoL changes or what? I must have missed something… :thinking:

No I’m just mentioning changes I have seen people suggest in the forums.

I saw this in another post from the forums - someone was spitballing a way of expanding something resembling an end-game for D2.

I don’t think it’s workable, but the thread did manage to spawn more than a few suggestions about end-game that could help expand optional content without impacting the core.

1 Like

Well there’s nothing wrong with throwing ideas

The tower defence might sound not Diabloesque

But thinking about it you can make it a world event

« the forces of exile are gathering outside of town, prevent them from breaching the barricade »
There are portals that spawn monsters that go toward town with guards defending it, if all guards die the event stops, if you succeed each portals turn into super chest

2 Likes

I quite liked the idea personally. I don’t know how well it would work but you never know.

What is the new argument from the “traditionalist” against the idea of two servers in D2R (i.e. WoW classic/retail). One with no changes to D2R and one with changes to D2R (like personal loot, etc).

1 Like

I guess I’m a traditionalist. I cannot speak for everybody but my main fear is splitting the base further. But I think the devs are in a position to make a proper judgement on whether that will happen.

And other people have made good points about global realms etc that also dampen these fears for me at least.

They say it will “split the base.” Even though the player base was never so united before in D2.

They’re most worried that traditional realm would be a ghost town, and they’d never be able to trade for the gear they want.

That’s why they’re fighting so hard against change: they’re not against it, they’re afraid of it.

Yes I’m all for ideas too. There’s nothing wrong with making suggestions at all.

This is really an argument? Lmao.

Not necessarily a ghost town, as I still play D2 and it’s not exactly popular these days. But for a new game I don’t think it’s good if the realms aren’t super populated. Whether that’s a new ploot realm or the og one. It’s just going to encourage some people to quit or else reduce fun.

Makes some sense. Perhaps they could stand up the new realm in conjunction with the launch of Ladder #1.

The playerbase is already divided. The changes crowd that wants personal loot wouldn’t be playing in a public game without the option anyways. They would just be playing solo/private due to the bots/pickit players, etc. in public games. So the current playerbase is already separated to private/public games.

1 Like

That’s a good mentality mate

What I see in general is Improvementists « propose » changes while purists are categoric, they request what they ask for