[2.6.10 PTR] Wizard Feedback

FYI: Twister Corner stacking appears to be back. I tested in a few other locations as well in town, both with and without Twisted sword in the cube, and Twisters definitely last full duration when stuck on terrain now.

Also confirmed that Wicked Wind’s damage is about half that of the Unruned, and Raging storm rune.

Kind of an odd way to fix the build; but I am definitely a fan of the corner stacking challenge!

:mage: :tornado: :tornado: :tornado: :tornado: :tornado: :brick:

I’m a little more excited for this now. Emphasis on little.

As to why Wicked Wind isn’t getting full damage from Twisted sword’s applied raging storm rune, that’s another discussion, feel free to chime in on the bug report as linked.

3 Likes

Already did; I even replied to FilthyRich with the post link. I will bump the bug report tomorrow.

That said, I fully expect to get screwed. I mean, we’re wizards, right? “We’re taking away ES, one of the best legendary items you have, but you have have this bugged build with half damage and unplayable group lag instead. Cool?”

Also, we’ll give you Winter Flurry with one of the awkward mechanics we could think of.

Thanks, Lexy, for being up on the bug report so quickly, maybe we have a ghost of a chance.

4 Likes

Good Morning Ladies and Gents!

@Oh? So autocasts are an issue? True, I agree with you, essentially. But why go for Twister autocasts, then? Doesn’t make sense. They just want wizards to be clowns with all this skill juggling and questionable mechanics that make them look funny but are incredibly weird. I mean look at Winter Flurry? WFT? So why the heck did they change Etched Sigil to the most horrendous and random attack spender wizards have? It’s beyond me…

i think basicly we are on the same side. The Winter Flurry Blizzard for Hydra is mechanical wase the same thing as the bubble for DMO - AOE Skill that enhances the damage of the primary Damage dealing skill (with less visual help aout the enhanced area). Like many players suggested in the Forum - Make ES/DW an Channeling DPS item only for Channeling builds.

My problem with autocast are following main points:

• AP-Management is not an issue anymore
  • The basic idea - different AP costs (signature spells - Primary) - different DPS output is thrown away
  • Every Build becomes a channeling build

I think we all agree that there are some big - by Blizzard - unadressed problems. One of them is, that we need the 300% DPS from DW to be competitive.

• Instead of giving this 300% DPS boost to only one item i would have made an buff out of it. This buff can be triggered once(ofc not stagging) by several unused item/ skill combinations. Maybe tie one Combination to an element. For example
  • DW + channeling
  • Velvet Cameral + electrocute
  • Archmage Vicalyke + MI
    … etc I guess you get my point.

I know this would require some work and blizz will not do it but it would give different playstyles.

Look, you can talk about this till hell freezes over, but the simple fact is that Blizzard ‘solved’ our depancy on ES for a good number of builds by restricting it to ONE build, and here comes the important part, without compensating the other builds so they still can be viable. Never mind the fact if they wanted to promote the use of ET, again, they could have used existing legendaries for that.

I noticed that Blizzard apparently even allows corner stacking the ET again so wooptiedoo, back the good old days where you need basically an eploit to get an edge.

Wizdog days are back as far as I’m concerned. This really is an attrocious excuse for a, dedicated no less, Wizard patch.

I might for the hell it do a short stint with VYR. I’m a glutton for punishment and I need remind myself that carpaltunnelsyndrome is bad. With a bit of luck there will be so few number of Wizards I might make onto the leaderboard without doing to much effort.

A quick update on this Twister testing. So far, cleared a GR130 on seasonal PTR with LoD Twister, Mistral Breeze rune on skillbar.

We don’t have to corner stack the entire time, because when the Twister combines, it redirects in the direction your newly cast twister is heading.

So even though our weapon Valtheks makes them go in a straight line now (terrible for coverage), you can sort of ‘bounce’ the twisters off a small closed off area a little more reliably by continually stacking to redirect the twisters that try and escape your cordoned off area.

Only the fully stacked twisters will escape a target area if using this method. But still, you need a very small area, and have kited your targets to that area.

Corner stacking is still the most reliable.

On the RG though, this other method can be desirable, because of Karini requiring a little distance. However, RGs with adds will allow corner stacking often-times.

2 Likes

I just dislike to tie a build performance to map layout and leading mobs in a specific place before you can even start playing.

IMHO I’d prefer to have the twisters spawn at your cursor location give or take couple yards and be stationary unless they gravitate towards others to combine.

For solo maybe it’s fine, but if you wanted to TC in groups (be it speeds or push) it would be so much harder to have success than with a normal group that simply picks a good spot and brings everything to it.

Well, I did a 127 without even a very optimal zdps group and I definitely was doing the most damage of the group, didn’t lag hard at all and why would you even use Raging storm if Valthek gives it to you for free? Sure that’s a bug that needs to be addressed but that was hardly optimal choice. That’s why you use Mistral Breeze or Gale Force.

Honestly without even cornering I’m doing plenty of damage but yeah to avoid cornering I’d say all runes need to do Raging Storm damage, that OR Valthek’s gives Wicked Wind rune for all twisters.

Either would solve the remaining issues.

Theres a chance that blizzard reverts etched sigul change?

Also im very displeased by blizzard forcing us to not only use blizzard but also a primary on lod hydra builds

Please do not forece us to use winter flurry. The item is bad and needs more thougr

1 Like

No.

(character limit)

The chance is incredibly small (near 0 imo), so I wouldn’t count on it. I’d just recommend getting yourself a good etched sigil for non-season before this change rolls over (unless you’re a pure seasonal player, in which case it wouldn’t matter), so you’ll at least have that for some fun non-meta builds.

Doesn’t really matter if it’s good right now. Given that it’s a different item id from the new iteration, an old Etched Sigil can be reforged and will stay legacy. I tested this on PTR. So, just make sure you have one or two stashed… maybe some spares for hardcore, if you want to be safe.

Well it seems it will be the only way to keep using my LOD mammoth hydra build

Because i refuse to use that abomination of winter flurry and also be forced to use primaries to buff my hydras

Blizzard dropped the ball big time

Yeah, most of us can agree with that.

You must be new here. D3 dropped the ball on Wizards since RoS launched.

3 Likes

Well in my opinion it comes down to:

If you want to play a working wizzard in S22 --> roll a necro

Can teleport + has powerful spells + is tanky + no Cornerstacking needed

Despite everything, I’ll still be mainly playing the wizard class for season 22. While it does stink that my favorite speed build was killed in cold blood due to etched sigil’s change, I still intend to play and experiment with the 4th cube slot. It’s almost too good to pass up for me.

1 Like

Considering I ranked top 20 on Hydra last season, I think it’s time to try Arcane Orb again. I don’t like to play the same build over and over again every season, though Hydra is my favorite build this far.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior with Twisted Sword+ES and Area damage?

1 Like

im talking about this patch, but yeah we know this game was death on arrival taking in account the expectation we all had for d3

Another update for LoD Cold Twister.

After playing this build both in solo push and speed, I am much happier with the Channeled Twister playstyle, now that corner stacking is allowed, and we can ping pong combine / redirect twisters. So much more control, it feels great. I also liked the increased freedom of rune choice. I was having fun! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

In my solo push feedback I mention Valthek’s straight line behavior still feels bad.

I tried this out in solo speed, and while the straight line is still problematic there, it’s not nearly as bad, since targets die quicker.

Solo speed had issues of slower movement (no room for Aether Walker), but was still regularly clearing the rift in 3.5-5m time with wormhole and illusionist. Feels about the same clear / pace as what channeled Meteor shower used to be at.

One other downside is the sheer number of multipliers we have to fit in. LoD can accommodate these much better than DMO, thankfully, and at least we have some choice in our build with LoD.

Wicked wind is still somewhat underpowered, could use a slight increase to rune weapon% damage, I was thinking 1150% would work well.

In Solo push, I managed a GR132 in 12m 43s @ 10.7k INT with ~125 keys. This was a double festering though, so I was lucky there. Should be able to complete ~GR139 @2kp with full ancients/augmented/proper affixes and extreme fishing. Level of damage / build power feels good.

3 Likes