Tyrael's Might: Why is it bad?

I was thinking back to my post in your thread when I posted my suggestion in this thread, in retrospect I think level 3-4 (75-80 all elemental resists) Salvation would be too much.

Level 1 Salvation already gives 60 all elemental resists which you could put on the merc (you’d be giving up offensive options like Fort or Treachery but 60 resists allow a lot more gear flexibility on your main character).

1-2 all skills would be fine I think.

I don’t use Enigma much never did! The only toon I did use it on Was a Magic Find Barb and that only because a Barb doesn’t need to worry about resistances :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Honestly, what you have there isn’t half bad. The only tweaks I’d make to that is bumping All Resists to 40-50(it’s Elite so should be impactful and better than Goldskin), adding Ethereal flag(so it has absurdly high Defense and since it rolls Indestructible, it won’t degrade) and swapping the aura from Might to Fanaticism. Fanaticism on a Unique Body Armor would instantly be a must-have option for Physical builds. If we keep the aura range(7-13), the built-in Skill IAS(which ranges from 27 to 32) would help offset Holy Freeze/Decrepify or help hit maximum Attack Speed breakpoints. The %ED on Fanaticism would range from 152% to 254%(half that for allies) and grants a nice 70-100% boost to Attack Rating.

It would instantly become an ideal Mercenary Armor, if not an ideal Body Armor for the main character itself. By having Fanaticism on Body Armor, it’d free up so many options for Mercenaries: A1 could roll Mist(Concentration) while still retaining Fanaticism, give A2 three auras(Might + Concentration(Pride) + Fanaticism(Tyreal’s Might) or Prayer + Insight(Meditation) + Fanaticism or Holy Freeze + Reaper Toll(Decrepify) + Fanaticism) or give A5 the coveted Fanaticism to go with that Frenzy(god help us all lmao).

With the huge Strength buff, you can use really high Strength weapons(like Thunder Maul, Decapitator Axe, etc.) with minimal stat investment. Could also roll with Aegis/Ward Shields. The only downside though is that Faith’s value would be reserved exclusively for Bowzon’s(no one would make it for A1 if you can grab it via Armor).

None of your suggestions make it good as enigma.

And sorceresses already have plenty of viable options for armors.

Just so people’s expectations of what gear is actually worth using doesn’t get warped to an understanding that isn’t true - Tyrael’s Might isn’t used because there’s one clear better option and that’s Enigma.

Tyrael’s Might by all rights is an amazing armor, but it just doesn’t perform as well as the armor that came after it. You’d do right by yourself to use it over Enigma, because there’s nothing wrong with Tyrael’s Might, but if you want to mix/max the meta way, Enigma’s the clear winner.

Edit: wooo, did not see the age of the thread. Hey guys! My name’s Muyu… and I’m late to this party. I don’t usually post on old threads. :>

Wdym this thread has been active all week. It isn’t like you revived a dead topic.

There are better options for a sorc than this armor.
There are better options for melee chars than this armor.
And obviously there is Enigma.

Even as is if you gave tyreals teleport it would still be worse than enigma.

The armor to me seem like a melee chars armor, but fort is just better?

Needs some enhanced damage to be viable. It should outclass both COH and Fortitude.

My change would be leave it as is

BUT

100% reduced requirements equipable at level 1.

Make it viable for new heroes and gets replaced eventually

Hm always eth and 2 or maybe 3 sockets sounds fitting.

It needs to become a godly melee armor, give it Fort properties, Might Aura or something to boost melee power, - requirements ,ect and make it really great.

Its bad because original devs of game werent that good at making unique items.

Another wild change could be that it has no level requirement in the spirit of the original ignoring all stat requirement.

This would make it the holy grail of giving your early characters an incredible item to run through the start with. It would also make it very unique, being the only item like that in the game and something that is coveted.

Since there has been so much “Nerf Hammerdin” talk in the forums lately. How about this:

Remove the effect of Concentration aura on Blessed Hammers. Increase the Blessed Aim and Vigor synergy bonuses to Blessed Hammer to +15% (instead of the current 14%), and then change Tyrael’s Might to the following:

Tyrael’s Might:
Version Three

Indestructible
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+35% Faster Hit Recovery
+35% Increased Attack Speed
100% Damage to Demons
Slain Monsters Rest in Peace
150% Enhanced Defense
+30 to Strength
All Resistances +30
+1 to Dragon Flight
Cannot Be Frozen
+15% Magic Skill Damage
Requirements -100%

Tryael’s Might would suddenly become the end game armor of choice for a Hammerdin. Dragon’s Flight is exactly the sort of Teleport that a Hammerdin needs (Teleporting you right into the face of a monster), and the Magic Skill Damage increase would be flavorful and help make up for the loss of Concentration. So the Hammerdin would be brought back down to Earth, but can still get really high damage if they get their end game gear of Tyrael’s Might.

It would also allow for the Hammerdin to have more skill points to distribute (making it a 60 point build instead of an 80 point build), and allow running another aura. Most likely choice would be Smite and Fanatacism for a Hammer/Smite Hybrid, since Dragon Flight is also great Teleport for a Smiter.

PvP Bone Necromancers would probably also want it.

It’d shake up the meta for sure.

Honestly, I feel like if you simply gave Tyrael’s Might +1-3 sockets it’s be MORE than worth it and easily beat out end game runewords for some situations. Rolling a +1 would be a kick in the nether regions because you can simply Larzuk a Tyrael’s for +1 Socket already.

Rolling +2 would be slightly better and well worth considering.
Rolling the +3 would be BIG money
3x 40/15 would be 120%ED and 45%Ias.
3x 20/15 would be 60Life/45 All Res (on top of the 30 all res that’d beat out CoH in terms of all res)
3x Facets would be -15/+15 So that easily equates to +skills for that specific element.
Then of course there are rare jewels with 7fhr meaning that’s 21 FHR and whatever else you’d want on the jewels.
Hell even 3x Ists would be pretty sick.

Simply put, Sockets make stuff OP and considering how much sockets are valued on rare items, if Tyrael’s had a 3 socket potential, finding a unique sacred armor would be even more of a crap shoot. It’s rare, it’s more than likely Templar’s and, even if it IS that elusive Tyrael’s you’d still have to hope for that max socket roll.

You don’t need any extra stats on the armor it’s useful already but, you’d easily make it competitive with endgame runewords if you had the potential of 3 sockets on it.

Tyrael’s Might isn’t “bad” per se, but rather there are simply better options:
1: There’s Nature’s Peace ring for monsters RIP.
2: There are better options for armor to better compliment builds/skills, and of course there’s Enigma.

If Tyrael’s can be tweaked to be a marginally better option than using both Natures Peace and one of the other armor options, then we’ll be on to something. And no, I wouldn’t want the changes specifically targeting the teleport skill that Enigma offers.

My thoughts:
Drop the +30 all resistance
Add 2-4 sockets
Add level ~6 Salvation aura when equipped.

It’d make it a great defensive “party” armor. The sockets would make it a universal great for various classes, as you can socket whatever runes/jewels you want to in it.

Of course summon necros will still hate it. :stuck_out_tongue: On that thought, maybe a small tweak to Monsters RIP, it shouldn’t affect the ability for Necros to summon using corpses if the necro is wearing it, or the monster was killed by a party member wearing it.

2 Likes

Same reason all or most of the old 1.09 and before gear has become obsolete. Rune words. Same reason Grandfather sword, and cruel colossus blades don’t compete any more. Silks of the Victor was leet at one time. Now it’s blah.
You’ll most likely have made much better rune words by the time you find any of that old outdated former elite stuff. They really should increase the drop rates of all that. I don’t play bowazons, is a Windy still good, or pushed out by Faith? Windy used to own the game.

1 Like

Here’s my suggestion for Tyreal’s Might with changes in bold

Defense: 1983-2253
Required Level: 84
Required Strength: None
+120-150% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+40% Faster Run/Walk
+1-99 Strength(based on Character level)
Level 10 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
All Resistances +50
Cannot Be Frozen
Requirements -100%
Slain Monsters Rest in Peace
Indestructible
Ethereal(Can Not Be Repaired)

Before I get into my additions/changes, the Armor screams Melee/Ranged character. Faster Run/Walk, +Strength and Can Not Be Frozen are all attributes Physical builds want to have. The Rest in Peace modifier is a turn-off for Find Item Barbarians but it’s perfect for D-Key hunting. Plus Nature’s Peace isn’t all that great outside of the 7-11 PDR on it. Prevent Monster Heal can be granted via Weapon too.

Anyways, first change is adding the Ethereal flag and making it roll Ethereal every time. This will help to distinguish it from Templar’s Might unless you’re so unlucky that you get Templar’s Might to roll Ethereal. Yet with Ethereal flag, defense is bolstered by at least 661 to at most 751(nice boost). The next change is doubling the Faster Run/Walk bonus to 40%. This puts it on par with the best boots in the game and coming from the Chest slot makes it extremely invaluable for Amazons or any class that isn’t using Enigma for Teleport.

Speaking of Enigma, I tweaked the +Strength to be based on character level that is stronger than the benefit yielded by said runeword. Since the Armor comes with no Strength requirement, that’s effectively free Strength to equip the rest of your gear and with good Torch/Anni rolls, you likely won’t need much, if anything, invested into Strength, giving you flexibility to pursue max block or dumping ever more points into Vitality.

I then bumped the All Resistance to a flat +50 or effectively what the runeword Chains of Honor yields(not counting the Um rune that brings it to 65). This makes it better than Goldskin and Vipermagi(both of which can have better Resistance despite being Normal/Exceptional Uniques).

The final tweak I made is controversial but replaces the +50-100% Demon attribute and that is a Level 10 Fanaticism aura. I chose Fanaticism because virtually every caster build necessitates Enigma for the Teleport(unless you’re a Sorceress). Since we don’t have that, it means that this Armor is meant for a Physical Damage character and there is nothing stronger than Fanaticism. Fanaticism at level 10 effectively yields 3 attributes at once. It boosts Damage by 203%(half that to allies and is respectable compared to Fortitude’s 300%), Attack Rating by 85% and boosts Attack Speed by 30%(of which it’s SKILL IAS, hence has a much bigger impact on EIAS). It won’t completely offset Decrepify/Holy Freeze but it’s a step in the right direction.

Then there’s still the issue of adding a socket from which players can hit 65 All Resistance(matching CoH), add 40% Enhanced Damage(bringing it to 243% with Fanaticism), 15% IAS or any number of socketing options(Pul for more Defense, etc.).

In summary, these changes would make it the GOLD Standard in Body Armors. It’d compete with any runeword you can think of while making Physical characters/Mercenaries even stronger. Enigma still holds its place due to +2 Skills, Teleport, +Life per Kill and MF. CoH still has +2 Skills, Demons/Undead and MF, Fortitude still wins on %Enhanced Damage/Enhanced Defense and Chilling Armor proc(+Light Resistance cap too) and Treachery still has Fade’s DR and relatively cheap cost.

Yet if I found a Tyreal’s Might like above, I’d use it in a heartbeat.

• 1 tele oskill
  • 4 sockets

its all it needs

The only suggestions I don’t agree with here is the fanaticism aura and ethereal.

Fanaticism

• For builds that benefit from it, this risks making it better than a 160/60 armour (which would be much more difficult to obtain), while also retaining all its existing mods
  • Not all classes need fanaticism, which isn’t a deterring point in itself, but they might not want the aura visual effect that comes along with that

Ethereal

• If it comes in ethereal, then this will be shown in its unid state. This will remove the suspense of when you’re about to ID the item

In its place, I would keep the damage vs demons (maybe increase this a tad too), then just add varying +1-2 skills and a touch more faster run/walk.

This. Can you imagine the outcry if a good item was as rare as Tyrael’s?

1 Like