Tyrael's Might: Why is it bad?

I ask this because at first glance it has a lot to like. It grants Cannot Be Frozen, it has okay resistances, and no strength requirement along with +30 Strength.

Indestructible
+20% Faster Run/Walk
100% Damage to Demons
Slain Monsters Rest in Peace
150% Enhanced Defense
30 to Strength
All Resistances +30
Cannot Be Frozen
Requirements -100%

If we want to buff it, we have to understand why it actually isn’t used.

Well, first of all it has level 84 requirement. This is end game gear. You are competing with Enigma, Chains of Honor, etc.

Second, one of its main points of appeal is the lack of strength requirements. That means Barbarians and Paladins are not going to value this as highly as a Sorceress, Assassin, Amazon, or other character that doesn’t have other reasons to have strength. But its high defense is not as important to those characters.

Slain Monsters Rest In Peace mean Necromancers won’t find this armor attractive.

What is important to characters that would find 0 Strength Sacred Armor attractive? Skills. Both Enigma and Chains of Armor have +2 to All Skills. Skin of the Vipermagi has +1 to All Skills and Faster Cast. Other armor that competes for end game gear without +skills, have something like Damage Reduction, Increased Attack Speed and Faster Hit Recovery - Treachery. Or Faster Cast and Enhanced Damage - Fortitude. Or Skill Damage Increase - Ormus’ Robes.

Tyrael’s Might doesn’t even have Faster Hit Recovery?

Okay, so the theme is Tyrael’s might, maybe All Skills or Faster Hit Recovery don’t fit with Tyrael? No, they fit rather well.

Okay, let’s add All Skills and Faster Hit Recovery.

Indestructible
+1-2 to All Skills
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+35% Faster Hit Recovery
100% Damage to Demons
150% Enhanced Defense
30 to Strength
All Resistances +30
Cannot Be Frozen
Requirements -100%

That makes it competitive as a placeholder until you get Enigma or Chains of Honor… but being so rare it still won’t see much use.

What else? Well, casters would want Faster Cast, combat characters will want Increased Attack Speed. All will want Damage Reduction. None of those seem off flavor.

Fire, Cold, and Lightning Skill Damage increase don’t seem like the right flavor. Magic Skill Damage increase actually does seem correctly themed. But the screaming if we did that would be horrific. Although it would make it very attractive to Barbarian Berserkers, despite making the high defense pointless. Would +10% Magic Skill Damage be enough to make Hammerdins and Bone Spear Necromancers choose it over the Enigma Teleport?

That is another point, there is a big demand for mobility and Tyrael’s Might ought to give something like Flight - but that might not be doable. Teleport feels slightly off flavor. Maybe +1 to Dragon Flight? We do see Tyrael suddenly teleport into combat, so maybe that would be good flavor? In terms of other combat skills… maybe Concentrate? Uninterruptable, and increases defense during attack?

Okay, based on that I’d give the following two versions:

Tyrael’s Might:
Version One

Indestructible
+2 to All Skills
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+25% Faster Cast Rate
+35% Faster Hit Recovery
+35% Increased Attack Speed
100% Damage to Demons
150% Enhanced Defense
30 to Strength
All Resistances +30
Cannot Be Frozen
Requirements -100%

This version doesn’t have the high resistances of Chains of Honor, or the mobility of Teleport, but it would probably replace Treachery for characters that need Increased Attack Speed more than Resistances. It would also be competitive with Skin of the Viper Magi for 200% Faster Cast Builds that don’t use Griffon’s Eye (Basically any caster except a Lightning Sorceress could pick this instead of Skin of the Vipermagi).

Tyrael’s Might:
Version Two

Indestructible
+1 to All Skills
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+35% Faster Hit Recovery
+35% Increased Attack Speed
100% Damage to Demons
150% Enhanced Defense
30 to Strength
All Resistances +30
+1 to Dragon Flight
Cannot Be Frozen
Requirements -100%

Grants only +1 to All Skills, and slower cast rate, but the mobility offered by Dragon Flight probably makes up for it.

8 Likes

no teleport
no faster cast rate
no 300% damage
requires lvl 84

that’s why

16 Likes

Tyreals might works exceedingly well on zealots, smiters, bow and jav zons, babba’ s, melee druids … I never played a melee sorc or necro but it can be done.

Tyreals might used to be a luxory item that you could kick alot of butt with. I dont know if its any good now since they stripped out pvp mechanics and jacked up synergies and everything else when they gutted the core mechanics of the game.

The problem is some players follow the (flawed?) logic that runewords should automatically be better than any unique.

The fact is that it’s the rarest item in the game, and according to one of the D2 sites, it’s rarer than a Zod rune.

So whatever Enigma or Chains of Honor has, Tyraels Might should have that and then some (or just have that).

I like both of your versions. So would Dragonflight be pretty OP (in a good way) for PVP or is it useful for PVE as well?

3 Likes

I think a level 1 Salvation aura (60 all elemental resists) when equipped would fit thematically and open up some interesting possibilities regarding summon builds (since it would make them elemental immune if they had at least 40 innate resists [which most if not all can reach]).

I don’t think it’d be overpowered because summons can already reach 85 all resists and you’d be sacrificing either yours or the mercs armor slot (which would sacrifice significant offensive capability from Fort or Treachery), and of course Tyrael’s extreme rarity.

Physical/poison/magic damage would still damage them, and Conviction/Lower Resist are also fully effective due to the way immunity from skills/items work (Skills applying Resist -% are still fully effective when applied to immunities wholly dependent on skill or item bonuses).

Having said that, if Salvation were added I think it’d be good to change the 20-30 all resists to either poison resistance or poison length reduction (since Salvation doesn’t give poison resistance) because 80-90 all resists on a single item would be a bit much I think.

I dunno, maybe the whole idea of Salvation on equip might be too much. Could be something to try on the PTR though. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Being one of the rarest armors in the game(if not the rarest), the first “buff” I’d make to Tyreal’s is to have it roll Ethereal every time(it’s Indestructible so it’d have to roll Ethereal as well). Since Enhanced Defense varies(120-150), the most you can hope for is 1322 to 1502 Defense depending on roll. Yet if it’s Ethereal, that jumps to 1983 to 2253 or +661/+751 respectively(a notable bump).

Next change I’d make is removing %Demon mod. 50-100% is really nothing and only really benefits melee builds while being massively outclassed by Laying of Hands. Instead, I’d replace it with -100% Target Defense. This basically removes the Defense of any Enemy target for Physical attackers(save for Ancients and Uber Izzy who “boost” their defense with Shout/Chilling Armor).

I’d then upgrade the All Resistance from 20-30 to a flat 50. It’s Elite Armor so it should give a nice buff and shouldn’t be outdone on Resistance by the likes of Goldskin. Finally, I’d add 4 Sockets to the Armor. This would give players considerable flexibility in what they’d like to add to it. Be it 15/15 or 40/15 Jewels, Rainbow Facets or heck FCR Jewels should Magus/Apprentice ever be added as a Suffix to Magic Jewels(10-15% like Attack Speed).

It won’t have +Skills but given what it already has and the buffs I have proposed above, it’d certainly make a strong case in Melee builds and perhaps even casters if they can stomach -1-2 skills.

Edit Another radical suggestion would be to add Conviction aura to the Body armor. Considering how rare it is, it’d certainly make players weigh the cost of having it on a Mercenary or even themselves depending on what level it happens to be. I know that if it were level 20 that it’d be a no brainer for virtually every Elemental build in the game while dramatically reducing the reliance on Infinity.

3 Likes

because cannot be frozen not work :smiley: you still will be frozen hahahaha

Seeing as it’s canonically angelic gear, this would be lore friendly. I 100% support this idea.

4 Likes

it was all good with eth, 50all res , -100% target defesnse & maybe add some attack speed/cast rate.

the 4 socket is wayyyyyyy overkill. max should be 1 socket. still would be godly af.

let me give you an idea why. A rare armor viper jack (sacred armor 220 str req)
stats were
eth repair
2 socket
2600 armor
~50 life
minor resist

most likely socket on this is a cham for sure for cbf.

was sold for over 300 ber runes with multiple ppl bidding over 250 bers.
The tyreal you suggest beats it.

2 Likes

best thing about tyraels might? That its worse then enigma, so people complain about it. also nice its not better then enigma because people would complain about it.

I think they should just have it give the character tyraels wings if its equipped on them. Thats it, leave the rest of it how it is. Just pretty blue fashion armor.

People will complain but thats fine.

2 Likes

I would say that this should be a Melee users armor so you can axe the +skills but go with potentially 200% ED and 60% FWR and the big one +100 to life to make it more viable.

20% FWR only covers the fact that it is heavy armor

Teleport on enigma is just too insane so that really is just a hard one to beat out.

How to buff tyraels?
Give it teleport
give it 200 ed
give it 30 ias
give it 30 fcr
along with all the other crap already on it.
Its an effective merc armor for some characters, that’s about it.

1 Like

It’s bad because it’s pre LoD.

Tyrael’s was added in 1.10, unless if you’re making a joke or something? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Damn forgot the emoji :laughing:

Tyreal Might is endgame armor. So it must have endgame OFFENSIVE stats.

Barbarian and Necromancer will still not use it because Rest in peace prevents Find item, Corpse explosion.

There is no +2 skills neither Faster cast rate, so Sorc wont use it, neither Casters.

It has no +Teleport which is necessary for PvP, and almost all builds to be efficient in Magic finding.

There is no insane amount of %ED so physical chars won’t use it.

… Thats about it. If it does not boost some offensive stat, it will not cut it. Will be used at most as niche fashion thing.

5 Likes

https://ibb.co/5hQstzs

Welcome build enabling item

Give tyraels might oskill Find item and everyone will want that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to see a unique attribute like giving you the ability to become ethereal allowing you to walk through mobs and or immune to stun and knockback.

It’s not used because it has no teleport, no skills and no special purpose. Enigma beats it with teleport and skills alone. Fortitude beats it with 300ed. Treachery beats it with fade and 45ias. Shaftstop beats it with lots of def and DR.

Slap +2 skills and teleport on it and people might use it over enigma.

Slap 300ed on it and it might be used over fortitude.

Slap 60 ias and some ED on it and people might use it instead of jewelers armors of the whale.

3 Likes