Time for a Ban Wave, lets go! đŸ’Ș Update: Looks like it happened!

I’ve been working with computers for a while now, and to me anyway, it’s a no-brainer to NOT store any sensitive information on your system. But I also know that there are many people who DO store sensitive information on their systems. I see it regularly in my field of work, people will have “passwords.txt” on their desktop, which will have various logins and passwords. I’ve even seen pictures of peoples social security cards, drivers licenses and other things. :man_facepalming:

The problem with Warden is if it were hijacked and used to collect this information for an extended period of time without being detected, Blizzard could be held liable for damages.

I think that’s more an issue with the laws than the company though. Which was frankly my point to begin with ya know?

As for the people keeping stuff on their PCs yeah I can attest to that. There was a point in my life where I was
 shall we say
 a less than a nice person. People used to bring me stolen laptops to crack and restore to factory default for resell. For the longest time I was using someone else’s Netflix/Hulu accounts
 had some other stuff like Paypal info and some email passwords but never messed with’em.

The US is the land of lawsuits
 Where it brings the possibility of being paid potentially millions just for being dumb. It’s another reason why most end user license agreements are 50+ pages long, and why the state of California requires everything to be labeled that it causes cancer.

Ahh the good ole McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit. :laughing:

True that. What we really need are some better frivolous lawsuit laws.

lmk when every public game gets filled with 6 spam bots and every baal-chaos run is created by an hdin bot.

specifically the 2nd part because it would be nice to get a baal run that doesn’t have 6 sorcs too lazy to teleport.

You really really need to read up on that one. It was not frivolous at all and all the lady wanted was the medical bills paid.

McD’s was keeping the coffee way above normal hot coffee temp - dangerously so. They had it at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and genitals, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat. They knew it and had complaints before. They did not change policies.

She asked for medical bills paid. The jury decided McDonalds was responsible for way more and penalized them for their dangerous practices.

You can check pretty much any source on it if you want. Here is a random one.

1 Like

Ehhhh. So that’s why I can’t get a good cup of coffee that stays hot until I get where I’m going.

Can I sue her family for cold coffee? Figure they owe me for at least 1,000 cups of luke warm coffee.

came here for info on banwave, left with a deeper appreciation of the US justice system.

Yeah, 190 is a bit warm.

Still, the average person should know that “coffee” is served hot.

If I spill coffee on myself, I have only myself to blame. But that’s me.

Yeah - that is why they used to over heat it. I would recommend an insulated travel cup to pour your hot coffee into so it stays hot longer.

They do - but coffee is not normally served at temps that cause 3rd degree burns! She fully admitted she spilled it. There is a difference between hot, and dangerously hot though.

Again, please read up on the case. It has been used as an example of a frivolous lawsuit when it really really was not. Further, it was never about money. All she wanted was her medical bills that were a direct result of how dangerously hot the coffee was.

2 Likes

It’s like ordering fajitas and the meat/peppers/onions comes out on a cast iron pan
 then you drop the pan on yourself. That’s just not a reason to sue

No it’s a direct result of her spilling it on herself. I mean I feel for the lady, but sometimes personal responsibility needs to be accounted for.

Yeah, I concede based on the temperature the coffee was kept at. 190 is way too hot. 140 degrees tops.

1 Like

That is not the case here

A coffee spill with normal temp hot coffee does not cause 3rd degree burns. I don’t think you realize how bad a 3rd degree burn is - it means flesh was burned off, not just red skin or a blister. She almost died and it took several surgeries to help her. You don’t almost die from hot coffee. If you do, something is very very wrong - in this case the temp of the coffee was WAY over what hot coffee is supposed to be.

Copy paste from article

It’s treated as a classic example of judicial overreach and greed: A woman, driving in her car while holding McDonald’s coffee between her legs, spills some of the coffee on herself. Inflicted with some minor burns, she sues McDonald’s, as if she shouldn’t have known that coffee is hot and driving with it in your hand or legs is dangerous. And then she ultimately wins millions of dollars from the fast food chain — becoming rich due to a dumb mistake that was all on her.

Only this is all wrong.

In a new segment of Adam Ruins Everything, host Adam Conover explains that basically everything people think they know about the McDonald’s hot coffee lawsuit is false. He walks through some of the actual details of the case:

• Stella Liebeck was a 79-year-old woman in Albuquerque, New Mexico, whose grandson drove her to McDonald’s in 1992. She was in a parked car when the coffee spilled.
  • Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and genitals, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat.
  • McDonald’s apparently knew that this was unsafe. In the decade before Liebeck’s spill, McDonald’s had received 700 reports of people burning themselves. McDonald’s admitted that its coffee was a hazard at such high temperatures. But it continued the practice, enforced by official McDonald’s policy, of heating up its coffee to near-boiling point. (McDonald’s claimed customers wanted the coffee this hot.)
  • Liebeck didn’t want to go to court. She just wanted McDonald’s to pay her medical expenses, estimated at $20,000. McDonald’s only offered $800, leading her to file a lawsuit in 1994.
  • After hearing the evidence, the jury concluded that McDonald’s handling of its coffee was so irresponsible that Liebeck should get much more than $20,000, suggesting she get nearly $2.9 million to send the company a message. Liebeck settled for less than $600,000. And McDonald’s began changing how it heats up its coffee.

"
Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if
exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds.
Burns will also occur with a six-second
exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty
second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if
the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute
exposure could result in third-degree burns.
"

So yeah, 190 = instant 3rd degree burns, there was nothing she could have done to avoid the burns, unless she was wearing leather pants of course.

A grandma sporting leather pants, a leather jacket riding a Harley
 Heheheheh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, there are some cool grandmas out there!

2 Likes

Also probably why most cars these days come with cup holders now
 Wasn’t very common back in the 90’s and earlier.

That’s why you “sip” hot coffee with a slurping/inhaling action. By the time it’s entered your mouth it’ll cooled enough to not burn. I used to drink straight cowboy coffee even as a kid straight from the pot into a cup like this. We’d boil it over a fire we kept going in an oil drum at my dad’s friend’s auto garage. Same principle.

If you look up info on serving coffee you’ll see 175-185 degrees mentioned quite a bit.

You brew coffee at just under broiling. Usually it’s immediately served. 190 isn’t “unusual” anyone that drinks coffee would know this
 It’s just a case of regulations protecting stupid people from being stupid people

Yeah I like my coffee piping hot too. Straight black.

Also note I’m not calling this lady stupid
 the stupid one was her son/grandson who gave the 79 year old woman with motor skills issues a piping hot cup of coffee in a car. If anyone here is at fault it’s him.

And same I’ve been drinking a pot or 2 a day for decades. It’s practically all I drink excluding beer and the occasional bit of wine/liquor.