Stackable character inventory

I’d actually think it was cool to have a gem box, holds gems like a tp tome. Scrolls dont stack without the tome right?

1 Like

Oops. Hit the wrong reply button.

1 Like

The idea of stacking potions is mine.

I think potions take up too much inventory space in the early part of the game.

I always feel that way every time I play.

Yeah I think potions are basically the only way that the inventory is an obstacle ti winning anymore and it’s by way of potion capacity.

Carrying 200 mana pots into a boss fight I think it’s pretty safe to say thats not intended.

However it’s also worth notify you can dump piles kf pots on the ground before you summon Diablo for instance so….they also didnt do a good job of enforcing their intended experience

So, there is already a way to work around potion capacity but it’s still More Limiting than giving yoir second character a pile of 30k gold and now they have infinite mana.

Like who cares about mana leech anymore when you have 99 super mana potions

2 Likes

While I don’t agree with your ideas, just ignore this guy. 13k posts on this forum, yeah, he is bored.

2 Likes

did they?

when?

where?

how?

Keys :key: :key::key::key::key::key::key::key::key::key:

Scrolls in your tome :blue_book::closed_book::blue_book::closed_book::blue_book::closed_book::blue_book:

Runes and gems in your stash :gem_stone::gem_stone::gem_stone::gem_stone::gem_stone::gem_stone::gem_stone:

Like to yoir point obviosily I can’t say for certain it’d be easier than some alternative to implement. But I would Imagine it’s easier than making a charm bag. That even comes with ui changes….this just changes how gems behave ya know

In fact, a stackable inventory(not a stash) is already a feature in mods, so applying it wouldn’t be too difficult.

tbh idk, a charm bag seems more popular

and at this point we re just asking to walk around dragging our stash

I agree with the first statement and would prefer a charm bag

Im not following the 2nd statement but whateva. Not sure how allowing gems to stack in the inventory means I access my stash from wherever. Like….are you imagining OP is asking to make gear stack on other gear or something??

Actually, what I wanted was for runes and gems to stack in the inventory rather than just having the stackable stash. It seems that both features are already implemented in PD2, though.

its LIKE having your stash anywhere bc, when it comes to runes and gems, thats a functionality from your stash and accessing it from your inventory is, again, LIKE having the stash anywhere

again, it really seems we wont need that if we get a charm inventory
if we DONT get a charm inventory i have no problem with this request

yeah

llama also mentioned they didnt want to turn d2r into basically a modded d2
so i think this means they wont be doing things exactly like mods did it
so their own way i guess?

1 Like

but what does having access to gems even do for you outside of town, like so what if its like having your stash if that doesnt do anything

it reduces the number of times i have to “unload” my inventory to my stash

i think this is a matter of identity and gamedesign

your inventory now behaves like x
your stash now behaves like y

so two things working differently creates contrast, and contrast creates identity
and right now d2r is contrasted in reference to d2mods, because they have different systems to a degree and thats why this…

…is relevant and makes sense

so my point is

we may desagree where the line is, but we all agree that at certain point, crossing it, will make the game feel like something else and not d2

Sorry if this has already been discussed before, the thread is quickly snowballing to an absurd size.

There are multiple parts about this suggestion :

Where it applies (inventory or stash or both).

What it applies to (gems, runes, potions).

First, let’s start with the fact that I don’t believe there is an issue with the ability to stash more. Yes, I’m a hoarder, but I don’t think there’s an issue with people hoarding items, as the game doesn’t have a focus on starving players of loot. Outside of the risk of getting storage costs out of control if they make storage 100% unlimited, there should be no negative effect caused by the increased storage.
Based on this premise, I don’t see any reason to refuse the stacking of items in stash, as long as this is about generic items (no attempting to stack items that can have affixes or other kinds of modifiers).

Second, stacking of potions. While I am all for allowing players to have space in the inventory for various uses by implementing some form of charm bag (which isn’t the point to debate, it is just for clarity on my point of view), I don’t believe that letting the players keep literally hundreds of potions in their inventories would lead to a gameplay that we want to encourage.
So I think that potions shouldn’t stack in inventory (it’s fine in stash).

Third, stacking of gems and runes. These don’t drop frequently enough that their stacking in inventory would have any significant impact. I don’t think it’s even worth debating, since we likely wouldn’t notice the difference. The difference is likely so insignificant that it’s not worth the resources to develop it. If they do decide to make the change, then nice, if they don’t then no biggie.

I’ve never opposed a stackable stash. I just think that if the same feature were applied to the character inventory, we might not really need the current stackable stash anymore. My reasoning is that if stacked runes or gems from the inventory were stored in the existing (pre-3.0 patch) stash, they would likely remain stacked there anyway.

As for potion stacking, I’m a bit cautious about suggesting it since it might come down to my personal playstyle. But if stacking up to 10 is too much, maybe reducing it to fewer than 5 could be an option—though it’s hard to settle on an exact number.

In fact, if a charm inventory were adopted, item management would become much more convenient, so a stackable inventory might not even be necessary. However, since that kind of feature doesn’t exist right now, I think anything that helps reduce space usage would be beneficial. It would definitely reduce how often we need to organize our stash.

How exactly does one stack an inventory?

If you watch PD2 gameplay, you’ll understand right away—it works the same way as stacking keys.

For example, if you place a Tal Rune on top of another Tal Rune, a “+” indicator appears and shows the stacked amount. You can likely split them one by one as well.

I don’t play pd2. So if I have a stacked inventory can I drop one on the ground or put it in the stash? Or are you saying it’s like stash tabs? Or do you mean a larger inventory? I think that’s what you mean.

An inventory that is 2x the size where your charms are below.

I’m not entirely sure if you can drop a stacked rune directly onto the ground. You can separate them one by one and drop them, but I can’t say for certain about dropping them as a stack.

There aren’t any separate tabs—it’s just the regular inventory. The difference is that you can place a rune on top of another rune, and the same goes for gems.