Profanity Filter

It takes a special type of person, someone with a rich and fulfilling life, to spend their days advocating for people to be reported for language on a video game, and then spend their entire day defending that position in a forum. I envy such a person and wish my life was such that I too was compelled to play the role of hall monitor.

16 Likes

I find it funny that you have explain using carebear language because the forums don’t allow it either. Despite the fact that a lot of these words left the realm of being bad words decades ago.

Bad words these days should just be hate crimes. 7 year olds say every swear you can think of these days. xD

Still fairly low complaint. I don’t really care if I can’t swear anymore. I’ll just call people a son of a moo. xD

2 Likes

I don’t remember seeing it. I do agree it should be an optional toggle.

However, this current situation is useful in that it is kind of making people take a look at the Code of Conduct so they don’t end up getting reported. Players not familiar with Blizzard’s modern games could end up in hot water without intending to.

Agreed on the toggle. The rules though, have been in place a long time. They are not game specific. They just did not enforce it in D2. The reports are tied to the Bnet system, not to a specific game really.

As you saw in the code of conduct, it applies across the board. Even if you toggle off the filter, you still have to watch what you say in public spaces in games. What you do in private games where you won’t get reported is up to you. Blizz does not go looking for violations.

No, really the existence of the filter has nothing to do with penalties. People try that “but there is a filter so I should not be punished for swearing” thing on the WOW CS forums all the time. It does not work there either. Blizz still penalizes them.

Again, no. Ignore only has implications in the Ongoing harassment category. The existence of a filter or ignore does not mean people can get away with breaking the rules. IF reported, a GM can, and often does, action them.

1 Like

It’s surreal. How are people actually like this in real life? What is an “MVP” anyway? Is that a paid employee or just someone with way too much time on their hands?

17 Likes

the irony is you are still missing the point there are plenty of places in this world you are not allowed to say certain words or phrases, the word “bomb” on a plane comes to mind as a simple example. You might use the word bomb every day in normal talk but you don’t want to say it on an airplane or in an airport unless you want to have a really bad day… or longer.

it doesn’t really matter if you are it only matters if Blizzard is once you agree to that EULA by playing the games and using the services your opinion doesn’t matter.

it’s not about if people have a problem or not it’s about what is allowed on a private platform.

Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB says otherwise.

Ehh. No. For example the default Profanity filter on the Bnet launcher chat channels does not let you say a TON of stuff. It filters partial words and makes conversation really difficult even if you are not swearing or being hateful. So don’t assume the filter only catches things that are against the rules.

MVP means Most Valuable Person or Player

true i suppose though idk i haven’t seen that in a while i thought they had mostly fixed those issues.

No. MVPs are other players, not Blizzard staff. In my case, Tech and Customer Support topics mostly, as well as answering basic game questions. So yes, helping folks find the refund link, navigate the ticket system, explain policies, etc.

This is SC2, but it is a generic explanation of the program. MVPs: Most Valuable Forum Posters - General Discussion - SC2 Forums

Yes, I am retired and have been doing this since at least 2013…

Basically they’re people that post forum or game rules pertaining to people’s questions or comments. You’ll notice most of them won’t take strong stances on any issues, they’ll just tell you what Blizzard’s rules or codes of conduct state. Essentially they’re kind of like the teacher’s pet.

10 Likes

So far I have seen nothing of “value” being provided from the MVP in this post. However, I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for letting me know.

6 Likes

You don’t know me very well then. Most things don’t require me to take a “strong” stance, but I most certainly do when I want to.

Blizzcon 2018 being one and there are quite a few others. The forums sadly were all replaced in 2019 so those years were lost.

1 Like

If knowing the rules keeps you from getting Silenced in game you might find that helpful.

1 Like

You can say it, as you’ve just said it will result in something you don’t want, but you can still say it though.

You’re correct and again, when they had people monitoring this kind of thing all the time those people understood the nature of the language and did not care to punish people under most circumstances.

Yet again, same reply as above.

What do you mean by this?

1 Like

I said most, not all. It probably would have been more accurate, however, to say most of their posts, rather than most of them in general.

you can say it in game too it will result in something you don’t want, fancy characters.

the rating of the game has nothing to do with online chat that’s why they say “online interactions not rated by the ESRB” for online games.

2 Likes

right, and when i don’t like a certain family member, i just don’t interact with him, rather than try to turn the whole family against him.

nice false analogy though, shame i don’t have a demagogue award for you

10 Likes

You won’t get silenced for dropping a swear word, unless it is directed at someone else. If someone says “oh xxxx”, that is completely different than saying “you’re a xxxx”. But what you are doing isn’t just posting the rules. You are encouraging everyone to file reports. That not only wastes their time it wastes the employee’s time who have to actually review these reports.

I have no clue as to why you even posted what you did to begin with, as even you acknowledge that not every filtered word is a bad word. You said so yourself. All the OP wanted to know is how to turn off the filter.

4 Likes

You can’t called Richards by their nickname anymore. xD

These filters were put in place in 2004 because spoiler racism , sexism, and slurs towards gays were commonly found in the mid 90s and early 2000s in online games. You could not go on bnet with out reading N bombs or all sorts of garbage! Hell you can not even talk to the other team in MOBA’s anymore because it was so bad. You can tell much by the majority of the posters! You can not filter online chat thus you have to take measures to censor it! I wonder if all the beta male white gamers from the mid 90s early 2000s regret all the hate speech causing this crap… If your white dude like me its pretty awful what other whites will say when others are not around or just openly in front of everyone!