Profanity Filter

Am I blind or is there no option to turn this off?

50 Likes

I have not checked yet. However, you will want to read the Game Code of Conduct which prohibits profanity.

The game content made by Devs is rated by the board as M. Content created by players (names and chat) has to abide by the Code of Conduct which is very PG.

Blizzard games offer a fun and safe place to interact with one another across various game worlds. We encourage our players to cooperate and compete in our games, but crossing the line into abuse is never acceptable. If you come across a player violating the policies below, you should report them.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

Cheating

You are responsible for how you and your account are represented in the game world. Cheating in any fashion will result in immediate action. Using third-party programs to automate any facet of the game, exploiting bugs, or engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage is considered cheating.

Exploiting other players is an equally serious offense. Scamming, account sharing, win-trading, and anything else that may degrade the gaming experience for other players will receive harsh penalties.

Behavior

Behavior that intentionally detracts from others’ enjoyment (such as griefing, throwing, feeding, etc.) is unacceptable. We expect our players to treat each other with respect and promote an enjoyable environment. Acceptable behavior is determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and violating these guidelines will result in account and gameplay restrictions.

While we encourage you to report players that are behaving in a disrespectful manner, falsely reporting another player with the sole intent of restricting their gameplay is also unacceptable and will result in penalties to your account.

If you’re unsure if your actions violate this code of conduct, reconsider them. We reserve the right to restrict offending accounts as much as necessary to keep Blizzard games a fun experience for all players.

To report violations of the terms you can right click report in game.

7 Likes

This is bugging me as well. There’s no reason this shouldn’t be an option in an M-rated game.

Guess it’s back to Discord.

52 Likes

censorship at it’s finest…just keeps getting worse.

74 Likes

This is how Blizzard’s modern games have been since at least 2004. It is also the same rules that govern the forums, and have since inception.

You can say what you want around your friends, but in public spaces in game you have to treat it like a town event full of families and people of all backgrounds.

4 Likes

Every game I play seems to have an optional profanity filter except this one. That seems different and is all I asked about.

43 Likes

you could always disable the filter … at least in the blizz games i played

would be news to me if you cant disable the filter

10 Likes

the problem is some people have no concept of public decency or morality.

3 Likes

I know. I just don’t know where the option is, or if it exists.

Blizz only really cares what people say in the Public chat channels or via whispers if someone is harassing someone. What you say in your private passworded games with friends is usually not actioned. After all, your friends are not going to report you.

1 Like

Hate speech or not, it’s an M rated game. If you literally can’t handle language you should not be playing M rated games, much more you honestly should not be interacting with people, as IRL people care very little whether you can handle their damn language. If I heard someone telling me that IRL, I’d literally cuss in front of them 15 times straight and tell them to “toughen up, princess” – again, if you can’t handle it, should not be around people. This should be an option in game to turn it on or off.

Some things, like racist names or something is whatever, but if you can’t even say dang or crap, that’s quite literally retarded.

37 Likes

Again. the game content made by Devs is rated. It is not rated M for profanity or language even.

The content created by players (names and chat) is NOT rated. You agreed to the EULA which has been in place forever.

I don’t know where you are from, but it has never been polite to act like that in a public area. That is the stuff you use with your friends, not the public. It has never been socially acceptable anywhere I have lived to run your mouth at strangers like that.

1 Like

I dislike profanity filters.

39 Likes

this generation is just simply soft, S.O.F.T.

48 Likes

Sooo… this is the same company that made World of Warcraft right??? and that has a Mature language filter right??? So if swearing is not allowed in said Blizzard ELA’s, why is there an option in WoW to turn this on and off if it shouldn’t be there in the first place?? The game is rated M which I would think is the new current R rating… 17 and up. We all know cuss words and if you think little kids don’t know these words already… You’re not offending anyone with bad words… It’s almost become a way of life.

27 Likes

I don’t think you could remove the filter in public channels, but there wasn’t one in the game/server chat.

Modern Blizzactivision™ has to treat us like children so that their content can be considered “advertiser-friendly”.

This, despite the fact that we all played this game 20 years ago without a profanity filter, when we were actually children.

40 Likes

Agreed, but rated M also comes with the context of chat, regardless of whether there is something in there about it or not. That does not matter. You would not watch a rated R movie and not expect to hear “damn” or quite literally any other bad word. This is the same for gaming, the same for online communities, for people in general.

That does not matter, again, as the game is made for adults. Adult language should be, again, expected.

It is polite to act like that in any public area. I literally hear it ALL the time.

That is the stuff you use with any adult. The only people you don’t swear as much around are 6-10 year olds, as they don’t know and will pick that up regardless.

Quite literally wrong on this, as again, public places do not care when their customers swear. I do it all the time, friends do it, friends of friends, strangers, every customer does it and employees do it, too. If that is not the case where you are from, cool, but that is most definitely the case in the United States of America.

Yes, ever since the 90s, it has full on been fine. It’s been like that for 2 decades.

19 Likes

Again, the DEV content is rated M. Player content (names and chat) is NOT rated M. It has to abide by the Code of Conduct - which is pretty much PG.

The chat filter exists so parents in paricular can prevent kids from seeing people who can’t follow the rules. Any profanity in WoW can also be reported and actioned.

The penalties include

• Chat silence removing social features. This starts at 24 hours and doubles every time a GM actions your account.
  • Suspension this can happen if the offenses are really bad
  • Ban - a last resort, but yes, they can close the account.
2 Likes

I can’t believe you’re defending this. The original game had no filter at all, and the rating nerver changed. The game itself still has copious amounts of blood and violence and mature graphical content that would fill most kids’ heads with nightmares. And you’re worried about someone dropping an f-bomb in chat? get out of here with that puritanical b/s. Perma chat-filter amounts to censorship. Let adults be adults.

42 Likes

So, I don’t care if parents have an issue with this. Why? They let their kids play. Their kids are going to see it at one point or another. The only time they cannot see it would be if we were like China, where every single word made is governed, which is not the case nor should ever be the case, for any reason or context, at all. Again, if people cannot handle it they should not be around people, period. That applies to real life and to online, as things get said, moments get heated, things happen and even if things didn’t get heated, a lot of people just enjoy saying crap and other things. Crap is terrible to say, the other word is not. You are not a child.

it does not go punished, in the slightest. The only exceptions to this, again, are racism and other things really bad. You can say crap and dang and other bad words with 0 repercussions, which is what people want to say here.

6 Likes