Impale/Fend Amazon is in a bad state

Fend attack speed is great, impale is way too slow to even be considered over jab. These buffs were welcome but the melee Amazon needs massive help. Spears need to be buffed/make polearm runewards useable in spears. No one will use this type of build if this goes live. It will be Javazon or nothing. Submitted feedback and hoping for the best.

7 Likes

Allow me to help stir discussion here.

First, here is a link to a thread where someone was claiming that Impale was amazing, but then I explained to him quite exactly why it is not amazing and why Jab is always better:
Javazon is strongest in game - General Discussion - Diablo 2 Resurrected Forums (blizzard.com) post #10

^ This is a very mathematical explanation to your original OP post here.
If they want Impale to be useful, they seriously need to increase its attack speed to standard attack speed and maybe give it a drawback like ā€œdefense goes to 0 during animationā€ or something like that. But as it is now, itā€™s just not useful at all next to Jab for all of the reasons I had explained in that link.

For a further much more elaborate review of my PRT feedback, just in case any devs are paying attention, it can be found in this thread in post #106:

Bowazon PvM & PvP Guide - Talking About New Patch - Amazon - Diablo 2 Resurrected Forums (blizzard.com)

2 Likes

Impale looks great now at first sight and it is pretty much must have skill because of massive slow effect on monsters. I watched some streamer using it and it was actualy better than i expected and it was good even with not so great weapon.

I have yet to fully test it myself with BiS equip, but is just more complicated because i need to find proper base or uniq to test it properly.

You are missing one important point. They are not trying to replace new changed skill instead of old ones. This was never about making impale better than jab.

If you ask me 2 things impale needsā€¦
First attack speed and some viable damage.
Second it needs range and hits multiple targets in a straight line.
I would agree the attack could be like defense 0 and you canā€™t interrupt the attack. As it breaks out of all the passives. Damage reduction becomes a thing here.
Also valkyrie inherits these skills while you use them but not as powerful.

Combined with fend and Jab you have a good spear zon

1 Like

I think it is bad idea honestly because then if you use spearsyou will have zero protection, no defense, most likely no resistance because of not having shield, no block and not even the passive skill because you are in animation of impale.

Now it is very strong single target dmg skill with amazing slowing utility and i think its good as it is now.

Zax, for some reason you are unable to see math.

Let me explain again to you, in a different way, why Impale is bad:

1. Letā€™s take a naked Amazon wielding w/e weapon it is you want to imagine it is wielding. The weapon is the only thing on the Amazon.
  2. The Amazon is comparing lv 20 Jab 40%ed vs. lv 20 775%ed Impale.
  3. When there are NO OTHER sources of global ed% on the character, the Impale will out-DPS ā€œdamage per secondā€ the Jab, because at this mathematical ratio, all the ed% is coming from Impale.
  4. However, when you begin stacking 45/120s, Fortitude, Mercs with Might/Conc, and very high stat values as well as other sources of global ed%, you end up having around 900%ed to 1100%ed global, which dwarfs the 775%ed on the Impale. At this point, the 3x to 5x strikes that will hit on Jab in the time it takes Impale to land once, become proportionately larger strike damage than the single Impale strike. With the naked zon, 45%ed on Jab vs. 775%ed on Impale is a large marginal difference. But in in the end, a 1145%ed Jab vs. a 1900%ed Impale is a much smaller margin of difference. Initially on the naked Amazon Impale is dealing 17x the ed% with Impale as it is with Jab, and the single strike from Impale will out-DPS the 3-5x strikes from Jab. But in the end while actually wearing gear, you are only looking at Impale having a little less than double the ed% as Jab. ā† When that happens, the several strikes from Jab that occur in the time it takes Impale to land once, end up outweighing Impale in actual DPS, greatly actually.

This effect is what you were seeing in the PTR with low end gear options.
The previous link I posted already explains the math behind this quite well.

But itā€™s all good my man. Enjoy your Impale Zon.

1 Like

Dont worry i will have high end gear to test it, it will just take some time.

Idk why are you so obssesed with jab lol. Player who want to use Impale doesnt care about jab. Why is it so hard to understand for you? This is not about making skill to replace jab or charged strike as most strong ama skill.

So what? You talk about BiS gear. Majority of players dont have that. Not to mention players who go from normal-hell.

You completely fail to understand that skills are not just about how good they are with best equip you can get.

If you are doing playthrough and you see lightning enchanted monster while you resistances are not great what you need?

Jab which hit monster 9x releasing charged bolts 9x or strong powerfull skill which kills monster in one blow releasing it only once?

1 Like

I agree here, my thaughts exactly - all Polearm RWs should be automatically available for spears as well . After all, there is no RW yet designed particulary for spears . And also, if ACT 2 Merc can use both Polearms and Spears and even use Jab, why then not to make RWs that are Polearms = Spears ā€¦ ? just my 0.02c

2 Likes

Call to arms can be used in Spears.

People kind of forgot its decent dmg in good base and not just bo stick.

Idk about polearms, it would look weird for amazon.

You got botd in spear -itā€™s all u need :wink:

Believe it or not, Eth Upgraded Titanā€™s with a Phoenix Shield is equal the DPS output of any 2hander, but also allows you to maintain 75% block along with a bunch of res/sorb stack and redemption aura.

Try it out sometime ^^

Only thing better than 2h botd is gg Rare javelin with amp on hit :wink:

CtA and BotD are expensive (especially with Zod now used for Obsession), but to have ā€œCrescent Moonā€ for Lighting Spearazon, or ā€œObedienceā€ for Physical dmg Spearazon, I would welcome that for sure , meaning Middle-range RWs with affordable runes ā€¦

Well you can still use unique spears.

Yes, e.g. ariocā€™s Needle is really Good with 50% deadly strike. Hone sundan is also good option, viperfork etc

1 Like

couldnt you use impale as bosskiller, while fend is for normal monsters? havent read myself into it, but slowing down a monster works great on bosses, and the always hit also. could be they had that in mind with impale

Impale is bit to slow to be usable on bosses - jab is much better.
Ofc when u have problem with ar and for lvling purposes Impale would work somehow, but at endgame with decent gear itā€™s useless. You may apply slow from it but amazon is sentenced to use jab on 1 target.
I was hoping impale would be another smite - but it wouldnt.

I just about made an infinty and now phoenix omg I canā€™t afford that sheild.
Anyhow this is why impale needs to attack multiple monsters and needs to be re-drawn. The zon could take a thrust forward In a straight line attacking multiple monsters and chance of crushing blow maybe. The trade off would be tye defence hits zero and the attack canā€™t be interrupted.
So you could effectively 1 shot some monsters but ranged will probably get you killed.

What do we think of adding even more damage (say +10% more) and open wounds to each impale hit? Might at least create a play where you alternate between impale and jab?

Bleeding should be obvious effect of impale. But it really needs speed of normal attack. Itā€™s too slow simply.

1 Like