Immunities in Diablo2

The Problem:
Some builds have an easier time dealing with monsters that are immune to their primary damage type. Why do you think the Hammerdin is so overwhelmingly played on the PTR? And why do so many players complain that the terrorised monsters are still too weak, even though they are playing Hammerdin?
Yes you can divert skillpoints from your main skill into another element, or simply play a build that requires less skillpoints on its own. Or you are part of a group and dont face this problem at all.
My problem with immunities is, that you not only deal significantly less damage and thereby take longer to defeat a monster - no! you cant hurt it at all. It’s a wall. End of trail. “Don’t complain, play Hammerdin, you fool!”

My proposal for a solution:
Resistenses and Immunities are directly linked to the number of players in a game. This would even work in singleplayer, where you can simulate additional players via the /players x command.

It could be look like this:
When all bonuses have been distributed and also with normal monsters, the resistances are limited at the end according to the following table.
Number of players and Limitations

• 1 all resistances limited at 95
  • 2 first resistance limited at 99, all further resistances limited at 95
  • 3 first resistance limited at 100, all others limited at 95
  • 4 first resistance limited at 100, all others limited at 99
  • 5 first resistance unlimited, second resistance limited at 100, all others limited at 99
  • 6 first two resistances unlimited, all others limited at 99
  • 7 first two resistances unlimited, all others limited at 100
  • 8 all resistances unlimited

Should a normal monster already start from the values in the MonStat.txt with resistances above 95, the “First”, “Second”, etc resistance that hits a limit is determined according to the following order:

• physical
  • Fire
  • Cold
  • Lightning
  • Poison
  • Magic

As soon as a monster reaches a resistance of 100, it is immune to this element and the familiar restrictions on breaking an immunity apply.
The nice thing about the table is that in single player you are not forced to skill or equip alternative elements. However, if you still want to make it harder, you can use the ‘/players X’ command.

What are your thoughts on this?

The original wording in german: (I posted this in another forum)

Wenn alle Boni verteilt wurden und auch bei normalen Monster werden die Resistenzen zum Schluss nach der folgenden Tabelle begrenzt.

Anzahl Spieler Begrenzungen
1 alle Resistenzen bei 95 begrenzt
2 erste Resistenz bei 99 begrenzt, alle weiteren bei 95 begrenzt
3 erste Resistenz bei 100 begrenzt, alle weiteren bei 95 begrenzt
4 erste Resistenz bei 100 begrenzt, alle weiteren bei 99 begrenzt
5 erste Resistenz unbegrenzt, zwete Resistenz bei 100 begrenzt,alle weiteren bei 99 begrenzt
6 die ersten beiden Resistenzen unbegrenzt, alle weiteren bei 99 begrenzt
7 die ersten beiden Resistenzen unbegrenzt, alle weiteren bei 100 begrenzt
8 alle Resistenzen unbegrenzt

Sollte ein normales Monster schon von den Werten in der MonStat.txt mit Resistenzen ĂŒber 95 starten, wird die “Erste”, “Zweite”, usw Resistenz, die an ein Limit stĂ¶ĂŸt, nach folgender Reihenfolge bestimmt:

physisch
Feuer
KĂ€lte
Blitz
Gift
Magie

Sobald ein Monster eine Resistenz von 100 erreicht, ist es gegen dieses Element immun und es gelten die bekannten EinschrÀnkungen eine ImmunitÀt zu brechen.
Das schöne an der Tabelle ist, dass man im Singleplayer nicht gezwungen ist, alternative Elemente zu skillen, oder ausrĂŒsten zu mĂŒssen. Wer es sich aber dennoch schwerer machen möchte, kann mit dem ‘/players X’-Befehl arbeiten.

2 Likes

your idea is flawed as it does not take into account infinity or facets
and lower resist
 right now when breaking immunties they function at 1/5th effectiveness
you need to take that into account

here is my proposed fix

Ich schlage vor, dass Sie einen Text in Google Translate ĂŒbersetzen, weil es offensichtlich ist, dass Forum troll Ihre Idee ignorieren und nur darĂŒber reden werden

Wrong

The 1/5th penalty is irrelevant to immunity

The penalty is triggered by total resistance. Not effective one

So you could still have a cap and have the penalty triggered by the total

1 Like

As you can see, I translated the German part - that’s what’s above. I only added the original for completeness because I hoped the vBulltin formatting could be adopted.

Also I trusted the forum, when it said: hey I found a similar topic to yours: something with AI. And I was like, nah, that’s not it. I open my own thread. Yes, I’m sorry, I really should have checked to see if the issue had already been raised.

I’m saying that because most of your English text is illegible

As a improvementist friend

————

Yea immunity is a cancer to this game

Should be on the priority list

That is a good idea. I am aware of how lowering and breaking immunities work.

Let’s think about how it works right now. The standard cold-immune monster has a resistance of 130 (or more). Infinity’s Conviction Aura lowers resistances by 55, but only works 1/5 for immunities. 130-11 = 119 → still immune.

Now, if we capped the resistance at 95 and let the aura take full effect, we would come out at 95-55=40 and do twelve times as much damage.

And if we now apply Sekscalibure’s suggestion, we could either let the aura work at one fifth first and then let the limitation by the number of players work, 
 - That would make the aura useless -
Or apply the aura first and look for limitations second, 
 - that would have some effect (130-55=85; 85<95), but none at all if the resistance is to high from the start -
Or apply the limitations first but take Conviction into account only by 1/5 and end up with 95-55/5 = 95-11 = 84 and you get the same result no matter how high the intern resistance actually goes. (It can hit 210 with some monster I think.)

It’s not a suggestion lol it’s how it works lol

That’s why bringing an immune down under 100% with conviction and then using lower resist applies 1/5th penalty on both

Cuz it’s based on total/initial resist not effective resist

what do you mean “Wrong”?
my idea is literally reworking how the 1/5th penalty applies

He means, that’s not how he would do it, so it’s wrong.
Didn’t you get the memo, kitten? He is right about everything.

Or they can do a lazy fix, Blizzard seems to like this sort, add a line to code to the effect, “if player has BH as primary damage, then TZ will spawn in Maggot Lair map.” You’re welcome.

That’s why I say wrong
 you are wrong to want to change it
 cuz that’s how 1/5th penalty already applies lol

I already told it multiple times

Its triggered based on initial/total resist not effective resist which is what capped resist would be. There would still be extra resist being it’s total

Yeah because being right one the face of ignorance is bad?

Fine. I give up. Nerf the HDin. When Timmy logs on thinking, “I’m gonna play my favorite game on my favorite character!” And can’t even kill a Fallen just know you’ll have made a (man)child cry.

I hope you’re proud of yourself!

It would be better if the logic was as follows:
Apply resistance to base monster acording to dificulty
Add Bonuses from Bossmonster Enchantments
Is the Monster immun?
yes, then {

• apply maxima as suggest in the above table based on number of players in that game
  • apply (Conviction, Lower Resistance, Cold Mastery at 1/5 effect)
    }

else {

• apply Conviction, Lower Resistance, Cold Mastery as usual
    }

Apply Rainbow Facets and other items.