Adding 4 sockets to Monarch shield (Cube recipe failed)

I didn’t want to pollute General Discussion with this, so I thought I would just post it here. I’m trying to craft a Spirit runeword for my Sorc. I found a white Monarch shield with a required level of 54. Is the required level to use it the “item level” of it? If not, I wouldn’t know how to tell what its “ilvl” is.

I used the Cube recipe (which is Amn rune, Tal rune, Perfect Ruby + item to be socketed) and it gave the Monarch one socket. What did I do wrong?

Help appreciated.

Monarch can always have 4 sockets maximum.

But if you want to have guaranteed 4 sockets, you have to bring it to Larzuk.

The cube recipie gives random number between 1 and 4.

1/6 chance for 1
1/6 chance for 2
1/6 chance for 3
3/6 chance for 4

So chance on 4 sockets is 50%.

Thank you for that. So much misinformation out there. I will never again follow another article written by people who have very limited knowledge of the game. It clearly suggested that you will get 4 sockets using the Cube recipes. Clearly, they had no idea what they were talking about.

Which article are you referring to?

1 Like

Ouch… I wish for your sake that that had rolled better.

My condolences.

To be fair monarch shields are pretty common, you could buy a white one for a lum or ko, or an already socketed one for a fal or lem, and the runes to socket are pretty easy to come by.

I would save your socketing quest from larzuk for uniques or gg gear where you know you’ll need the max, like a superior ethereal sacred armor. (You can’t cube roll superior items)