Accidentally deleted my D2R character

Hi, I just accidentally deleted my online D2R Paladin. I did this by accidentally tapping X on my controller, and then A right after (I was just about to start a game and tapped X with the tip of my thumb before A).

I believe this presents a serious design flaw in the game - specifically, that it is so easy to accidentally delete a character. It is also a tremendous problem that you cannot restore my deleted character. If online play was possible with offline characters, such a thing would not be a problem, because I could back up my own character save file. Instead, I am dependent on your servers.

Please fix these design flaws. A couple of suggestions:

• Upon delete, require confirmation to be given by forcing the player to enter the name of the character they want to delete. Such a thing exists in WoW, I see no reason why it cannot also exist in D2R.
  • Add the ability to restore a deleted character. Again, such a thing is possible with your other games, so you have a template for a mechanism that you can implement for this game also.

I understand that allowing offline access to online characters presents the ability to do save file editing and thus isn’t really feasible as a solution; however, this makes it more imperative than ever that character data be able to be restored.

Also, apparently the body for this text is too similar to what I posted on another forum, which was in the wrong place, so I’m adding this.

Kind regards.

20 Likes

it seems to be a big problem! where Double clicking with mouse and keyboard is enough aswell to delete a character they need to do something about this!

5 Likes

Yah this is a issue. I just lost my level 86 paladin, he was kitted hard to. like 80+ hour of farming. I dropped my controller on the face buttons and it deleted my character. It should not be so easy to delete a character that being a clumsy can cause this issue. I think I’m done with this game.

9 Likes

I’ve already committed to not play again until this is fixed. If you haven’t already, I’d request a refund. It’ll be denied, but it’s another avenue to put pressure on them.

4 Likes

I noticed this the other day and was like, some ppl are gonna accidentally delete their characters in controller mode. This is why I use my mouse to start games. No matter how it happens, it’s too easy to delete your characters and they need to make it harder.

4 Likes

Adding my name to the list. Please add a box where you type confirm or delete. Not hard. Feelsbad.

8 Likes

I agree. I told them in feedback to change this.

I think they did some changes but they still need another go at it.

7 Likes

i did the same thing and made a thread about it earlier!!!

level 82 sorc with nice gear including a freshly id’d shako. i know they said we can’t get characters back but i think we should be able to since we aren’t trying to exploit the system rather just get our characters back after a slightly flawed designed button flow

4 Likes

Hey man I feel your pain because I did the same thing. Do you want me to rush your character and give you some items?

3 Likes

Greatly appreciate the offer; it’s nice to see the members of the community willing to do things like that.

I’ll hold off on accepting for the moment until this gets resolved. Speaking from the standpoint of a programmer (which is my profession), adding a delete mechanism as described in my original post should not be difficult; and given the widespread nature of the issue, I would expect this to be prioritized. The last thing I want to do is invest more time for this to happen again; that’s the reason I don’t play hardcore in the first place.

3 Likes

Well, if you change your mind I have a sorc that can get you to hell.

I want to make a necro or a fire sorc so we could restart together.

Appreciate it. I’ll touch base with you after they’ve fixed this, it would be great to restart with someone.

1 Like

Serious question. Does NO ONE read the prompts that come up asking you to confirm if you want to delete your character?

Please do. I look forward to playing with you

it’s not the prompt, it’s if you accidentally hit the wrong button you are screwed, which happens a lot when doing quick inputs

there should be a 5 second count down before you are allowed to click the confirm button to delete

1 Like

There is a post in the Tech Support forum related to this topic that might be of interest. Seems the Devs are aware, agree it is a problem. Hopefully we get a change to the UI so it stops happening. Both on PC and Console.

These folks said their chars vanished but apparently there is a log entry for delete (which purges data). So the Tech Support agent did address the UI and accidental delete issue.

Add me to this list. Even on PC it is way too easy to accidentally delete a character… My son (who is 4) was clicking around when I took a bio break, came back to see my character has been deleted. BIG ISSUE to not even have an option to restore the character. Even like a 1 hour time frame or something…

Thanks for the update. Very happy to see that the devs are aware of the issue and are actively working to resolve it.

1 Like

Just lost my Level 85 Sorc with Tal Rashas Armor this way (on Controller). Hopefully they will find a Way to get the deleted Chars back. Else I’m not sure if I find motivation to play again, so many Hours already into it.

1 Like

I almost accidently deleted my character back when the server issues were happening, so I can see it happening a lot. Luckily, I subconsciously read every popup that happens, and I was like wait no wtf, and cancelled it.