A 2 handed build that can do hell?

Give a Classic Whirlwind barb a go if you don’t want to be using the exact same items as everyone else.

You can use 2 handed martel de fers, swords or even pikes.

Edit: and axes.

1 Like

Amazing of course.

1 elemental, great that that’s sure.

1 Lycanthrope, great if you have the good stuff and if you play wolf, werebear not as good (too bad i love that werebear).

1 AMAZING summoning tree, where you can have 4 different kind of summon, but only can invoc 2 of them at the time and 1 of them diseapear after *hits…

Spearazon is dead since the hugh nerf for all melees.
Used WW-Barb with 2h lance, 2h axes was viable, too.
Then there were 2h Paladin, Hammerdin wasn’t much popular.

I was exciting about better balance in D2RE but no.

I would agree with you if I was a new d2 player that didn’t use barb much.

But I’m not, so I don’t agree.

1 Like

If using WW putting Obedience in a Thresher or Giant Thresher gets you that -10 base speed for 8 frame WW vs. 10 for Great Poleaxe or 12 for Cryptic Axe. I’m trying to go that path now:
Insight Partizan → Obedience → ebotd Great Poleaxe (hits -60 last WW BP).

Unfortunately I’m still on step 1 with the Insight! Anyway I mathed it out using average damage of Obedience Thresher, Great Poleaxe, Giant Thresher, and Cryptic Axe, then used an online calculator to get the Attacks per Second for WW and multiplied that by the average damage to get an average damage per second. Even though GP and CA both have higher average damage, the faster Thresher and Giant Thresher are fast enough that the average DPS is quite a bit better:

Thresher: 1120.08
Great Poleaxe: 1015
Giant Thresher: 1127.88
Cryptic Axe: 894.4

I personally think the Thresher looks a bit too agricultural, Giant Thresher, Great Poleaxe, and Cryptic axe all look pretty good. Realistically I’ll go with what I can find for a 5OS Polearm, but I’m targeting one of the Threshers for the speed which results in more WW hit-checks and more average damage. Giant Thresher has higher reqs though so that is sort of a bummer, although since the RW has hel rune in it, the reqs aren’t too bad anyway.

For BotD Great Poleaxe hits the last WW breakpoint so with the higher average damage than the Threshers and getting maximum hits, it makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Wow…. This thread is fantastic. It is like watching the Special Olympics version of D2.:joy:

What because of we talk about non meta build?

Frenzy barb( this is endgear showcase) but you can find some videos how to make a budget version and how to progress on hell.

1 Like

No. Because you have no idea what you are talking about at all. Yes. 2h barbs can handle Hell just fine especially p1 which is most of the time on bnet. There are multiple guides around the ik set. Multiple hell soloing endgame builds don’t use spirit at all: Javazon, trapsin, zealer, MF barbs, summonmancers etc… it is just really funny to read people who are straight up noobs trying to theorycraft and give advice.

Are you sure your message is for me?

I am the op, i asked advice for the barb, i didn’t give any advice :smiley:

I just start a WW barb now, and wanted to know if it’s viable on hell with a 2 handed weapon and without runeword.

I think your message is for someone else buddy

And Google could have answered it for you. The spirit thing is directed at you since you are the window licker who thinks everyone uses spirit.

OK thanks i guess <3

EDIT : i don’t want to contradict you or something, but i follow your advice, i did go on google and look.

I saw lots of build on icyveins, apparently a really big website for build and stuff. When you read, about 80% of the build all class included use spirit. On monarch, on sword or both.

So yeah, we see spirit everywhere because apparently it’s the BIS for most. And i just wanted a 2 handed fun build that’s all.

Every one of the class you wrote here exept MF barb use spirit, that’s what icyveins said.

For me i don’t know, i’m not even ready for hell so, yes i’m a noob who seek good advice

you don’t kill mobs, you kill characters. and they melt like butter on a pancake

1 Like

Upped bonesnap whirlwind barb is one of my favourites

2 Likes

Icy veins has really terrible guides. I wouldn’t use them. Most of their builds are just plain incorrect.

1 Like

Any trapsin who isn’t a noob uses dual claws. They seem to think fcr is something a trapsin wants. Traps are based on IAS. Claw block is better than a shield too. Maybe on swap with enigma for fcr, but then I would go with lidless instead. That is a lot of wasted strength for a swap. Some Javazons will use spirit for extra mana while farming cows, but I prefer stormshield and a lot will just use Phoenix if they can afford it. Spirit isn’t endgame in that case. No zealer on earth ever uses spirit. EVER. Why??? Did icy veins really suggest that? What kind of morons write those things?

Now I just feel really bad for all the D3 and WoW babies who flock to icy veins for advice.

1 Like

Frenzy with high IAS, life/mana leech, and crushing blow is a ton of fun and can dom hell.
Enjoy!

1 Like

I’m actually playing a 2H Barb in Hell right now, just hit Act IV.

Focused on Concentration as my main skill, maxed Battle Orders, put 10 ranks into Berserk (which puts it at about the same attack bonus and damage bonus as maxed Concentration) for the physical immune enemies, and I’m about to start dumping points into Whirlwind.

My weapon is a Steelrend Great Maul which I’ve upped from normal to elite through the Horadric Cube, then socketed it and added a Shael rune to make it max speed.

Add in some mana and life steal, and % damage taken goes to mana, and it works really well.

Is it top tier? No, but I’m having fun, and I’m having no issues with my run.

1 Like

That’s true, but the OP specifically asked for 2H builds. Frenzy requires 2x weapons that can be wielded in 1 hand.

1 Like

Ohhhh, 2 handed not 2 weapons… carry on

2 Likes