Last update completely breaks wine compatibility

Hey everyone. I’d like to preface this post by saying that I understand that Blizzard does not officially support Linux, and that we are but a small percentage of Blizzard gamers. However, we are begging for some help with this issue. The bnet linux gaming community still comprises of a lot of people and both WOTLK and OW2 are coming very soon.

Now for the description of the issues. This assumes bnet is being installed through the Lutris script.

The first issue we now encounter is the fact that when installing bnet, the install does not complete. We can see in the Lutris log the following message:

<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>

<h2>Object moved to <a href="http://www.blizzard.com/404">here</a>.</h2>

</body></html>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Service Unavailable</TITLE>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>

<BODY><h2>Service Unavailable</h2>

<hr><p>HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.</p>

</BODY></HTML>

</body></html>

</body></html>

Here starts the inconsistencies. (Apologies for the lack of screenshots, I do not have a high enough trust level to send these)

For some/sometimes, the bnet installer will hang at Updating Battle.net Update Agent...

Some other times, the next installer window will open, the install will continue for a bit until it hangs in the Battle.net Installation window, at Installing Battle.net... (0%)

Cancelling the install allows for the Lutris install to finish. From there, we can choose to directly run the Battle.net installer in our wine prefix. This is needed if the installer hung at Updating Battle.net Update Agent....

Doing this might again make the installer hang at Battle.net Installation, but Battle.net seems to be installed. We can then close the installer and open the launcher.

Overwatch is used in the screenshots below but the behaviour seems to be the same for at the very least WoW too, most likely every game.

Trying to install a game might hang on the Overwatch Installation window, which will be blank apart from a spinning loading logo in the bottom right. Restarting the launcher multiple times or changing wine versions (some people believe that older version like 6.4 and 7.1 work better than newer ones) might allow us to instead get the install window to properly display and then hang when clicking on Install. The 22.10 GB required normally in the bottom left may never appear, instead staying at Calculating Size. Otherwise, it may periodically switch between the two.

This is as far as I can get. However, other reports indicate that we may be able to get past this installation screen. Then the update progress bar would appear under the Install button, like normal. I was able to get there at one point but the bar did not seem to progress. However, someone said that the agent was apparently updating the game just a little every so often. So it may be ultimately possible to install a game after hours of fiddling, however nobody else was able to reproduce the result at this time

By opening our task manager, we can see that the Agent.exe process is constantly quitting and coming back. BlizzardError.exe does the same. If we navigate to the equivalent of C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.8009\Errors, we can see the agent is writing errors quite often, every 10 seconds or so. I have a sample of the crash but could not send it because of my trust level.

We can also see that the product.db in C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent is constantly being recreated by noticing that some product.db.new and product.db.old files are getting created/removed

Other people might experience different behaviours of the launcher than what is reported here. However I am confident that the Agent issue is common to all of us and the root of the issues

Dear Battle.net team. Could you please help us and either look into this or give us information needed to fix this? As I said above, WOTLK and OW2 are coming soon. A lot of us are very excited to play these and we really hope we can get the Battle.net launcher working before they release

Thank you very much for reading. Have a great day :slightly_smiling_face:

82 Likes

Just adding my voice to the issue.

Up until yesterday or so, the Battle.net client and Overwatch ran flawlessly on Wine in Linux. Not an understatement. Actually, Overwatch has been running better using Wine on Linux than it ever did on my Windows installs (I’ve had dozens of “device lost” crashes on Windows but a net total of one crash on Linux, which wasn’t even directly related to Overwatch/Battle.net)

Yesterday, the client started trying to update the game, and never completed. I’ve tried the same problem resolution steps as OP, without success.

As Feyko wraps it up, I’ve bought fully into the coming OW2 with the Watchpoint pack, so it feels like quite a punch in the gut to suddenly not be able to play the game at all :frowning:

16 Likes

Same problem here, stuck on downloading Overwatch… Please help us :frowning:

9 Likes

The issue persists even if OW gets successfully installed.
5/10 times the Launcher would simply freeze, and needs to be closed via force quit option.

If the game somehow manages to start, you can play it for like 30 seconds tops before it also freezes like the launcher.
It worked flawlessly until yesterday in the evening.
Please fix it, and don’t neglect us Linux users

7 Likes

Exact same issue here. I’m on Arch Linux, game crashed while playing yesterday afternoon. Haven’t been able to get it running again. Reinstalled battlenet but still can’t update/install/repair/play.

5 Likes

I was genuinely impressed at how well most Blizzard games ran until yesterday, and then suddenly became almost the least playable overnight. I really hope you can fix this, since a lot of people in the Linux community love your games and play them a lot.

6 Likes

Same issue, yesterday until midnight was ok, Fedora 36 kde.

5 Likes

Just like to add my voice in the mix too. All working flawlessly on Steam Deck up until yesterday. Then, couldn’t update any games, tried to remove and reinstall and get stuck on the updating battle.net update agent step.

The errors logged are all along the lines of:

An application encountered a critical error:
Program: C:/ProgramData/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.8009/Agent.exe
Exception: 0xc0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:0x18f

The instruction at “0x0000018F” referenced memory at “0x0000018F”.
The memory could not be executed.

<Application>Agent
<BlizzardError.ProjectId>1001
<BlizzardError.Module>Agent
<BlizzardError.BuildNumber>Agent 2.29.1.8009
<BlizzardError.Platform>All PC
<BlizzardError.DesktopOS>Win
<BlizzardError.IssueType>Exception
<BlizzardError.Priority>None

<Exception.Summary:>
0xc0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:0x18f
<:Exception.Summary>

<Exception.Assertion:>
Thread 0x00000464
DBG-ADDR<0000018F>("")
DBG-ADDR<00669CEA>("Agent.exe")
DBG-ADDR<004CA314>("Agent.exe")
DBG-ADDR<004BB545>("Agent.exe")
DBG-ADDR<00478F34>("Agent.exe")
<:Exception.Assertion>
5 Likes

Exact same issue as what is described in detail by OP.

Wine support was literally perfect before the update to the bnet client, and now it is impossible to install or run anything through it.

6 Likes

From the looks of the logs. Agent.exe repeatedly terminates and respawns with this error. The offending library is ntdll.dll

Logs look similar to below.

Switcher-<timestamp>.log
C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.8009\Agent.exe --session=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Version-<timestamp>.log
[W 2022-09-17 16:34:59.0213] GetTactContent failure for summary.empty
[W 2022-09-17 16:34:59.0213] Falling back to old fetcher to get version information for wow_classic with region: us and branch: 

Have we tried different/older iterations of Wine?

4 Likes

We have. Some people say older versions work better, and I might be inclined to believe them, but it might just be placebo. In the end, no version we tried has erased the issue. I can try a really old version though

EDIT:
Tried 4.21, 5.0, 6.4 and 7.2.2 (all lutris). Always the same symptoms. Don’t think the wine version has much bearings on this issue

2 Likes

Guys some solutions here, https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/xgb5fx/problems_with_battlenet_today/?sort=new

2 Likes

I too am having this issue. Battle.net and the Diablo games worked fine until yesterday.

C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.8009\Errors\2022-09-17 11.28.12\Crash-1648.txt

An application encountered a critical error:
Program: C:/ProgramData/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.8009/Agent.exe
Exception: 0xc0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:0x63

The instruction at “0x00000063” referenced memory at “0x00000063”.
The memory could not be executed.

Agent
<BlizzardError.ProjectId>1001
<BlizzardError.Module>Agent
<BlizzardError.BuildNumber>Agent 2.29.1.8009
<BlizzardError.Platform>All PC
<BlizzardError.DesktopOS>Win
<BlizzardError.IssueType>Exception
<BlizzardError.Priority>None

<Exception.Summary:>
0xc0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:0x63
<:Exception.Summary>

<Exception.Assertion:>
Thread 0x00000724
DBG-ADDR<00000063>(“”)
DBG-ADDR<00669CEA>(“Agent.exe”)
DBG-ADDR<004CA314>(“Agent.exe”)
DBG-ADDR<004BB545>(“Agent.exe”)
DBG-ADDR<00478F34>(“Agent.exe”)
<:Exception.Assertion>

C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.8009\Logs\Agent-20220917T162810.log

[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0034] Agent started as Administrator
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0034] Argument[0]: ‘–locale=enUS’
Argument[1]: ‘–session=10425182970767859523’
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0140] Initialize HttpProtocol Server Called
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0219] Agent started on port #1120
[W 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0512] Authorizing client ‘Diablo-III-Setup.exe’ (1020) for communication
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0525] Handle Event: “update agent event”
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0528] Checking Network Connection status to http://us.patch.battle.net:1119/agent
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0528] Request GET /agent
Response 200 (273.6800 ms): {
“authorization”: “▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒”,
“opt_in_feedback”: true,
“pid”: 1648,
“region”: “us”,
“session”: “10425182970767859523”,
“state”: 1007,
“type”: “retail”,
“user_id”: “▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒”,
“user_name”: “▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒”,
“version”: “2.29.1.8009”
}
[W 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0878] Authorizing client ‘Diablo-III-Setup.exe’ (1020) for communication
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0879] Request GET /agent
Response 200 (344.4830 ms): {
“authorization”: “▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒”,
“opt_in_feedback”: true,
“pid”: 1648,
“region”: “us”,
“session”: “10425182970767859523”,
“state”: 1007,
“type”: “retail”,
“user_id”: “▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒”,
“user_name”: “▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒”,
“version”: “2.29.1.8009”
}
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:10.0882] Request GET /game/battle.net
Response 404 (0.0090 ms): {}
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:11.0007] Network Connection Response to http://us.patch.battle.net:1119/agent - CURL error: 0, Status Code: 404
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:11.0954] Executing operation: create_folder folderPath=“C:/ProgramData/Battle.net/Agent/data”
[I 2022-09-17 16:28:12.0190] Executing operation: local_certificate for Blizzard Battle.net Local Cert

I don’t know if the 404 is of any relevance, but it caught my eye.

2 Likes

To summarise the thread at that link, if someone has access to an older version of the update agent, use that. The new update borks it. You can know if you have the older agent by going to C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent. In that folder is another folder that starts with Agent. If the number after Agent is 8009 (the folder name would be Agent.8009, that is the new agent.

The OP of that reddit post also says he’s been able to get bnet working by using the --exec="launch D3" (or --exec="launch Pro") if you have Diablo 3 installed and not OW/SC)
Take that with a grain of salt, but we never know

2 Likes

Same here. Had OW (and other Battle.net games) running seamlessly on Manjaro Linux for the better part of this year until yesterday’s patch to the launcher.

1 Like

Same here. A fix would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have the same problem.

There are many long faces in the Steam Deck community because of this problem. :frowning:

Before that, everything ran perfectly.

I could not describe the error better than the previous speakers.

6 Likes

I understand Linux isn’t really an officially supported platform for Battle.net and its games, but it makes total sense for Blizzard Activision to make this easier when they don’t have to officially support it.

Having this problem too tbh.

6 Likes

You can find an old agent at bit dot ly/battlenetagent7984
Delete C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.dat and then replace C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.8009\Agent.exe with the downloaded file

This will fix the Battle.net launcher for the time being!
Blizzard, do actually fix this though, please :heart:

PS:
Sorry mods for bypassing the link protection :grimacing: Hope it’s ok

EDIT:

Mh… It seems the Battle.net replaces the agent when starting and periodically. Not very practical to always be replacing it :confused:

5 Likes

Thanks for the old agent.

1 Like