Diablo II (2000) Unable to identify version [2021]

Hey CptAstora,

See this post here:

Manual Patch says my game version is up to date, and does nothing. Game clearly shows 1.14b; bnet unable to identify version.

1 Like

1.14B is not the most recent version, 1.14D is. If your game client won’t update, you may have an additional problem that needs troubleshooting.

I tested it out on one of my systems.

• Installed D2, Installed LOD, checked version (1.14B), tried to connect to USEast → Unable to verify version error.

• Installed the LOD manual patch, checked version (1.14D), tried to connect to USEast → logged in without an issue.

1 Like

Manual patch errors when installing, saying the game is already up to date. The manual patch wont touch a fresh install on 2 different computers. Both have the same verify error. Manual patch says both are up to date and does nothing.

I can patch original D2 manually, not through bnet; but LOD will not manually patch or update through bnet. Didnt have this issue a few months ago on the same computers, so guessing its coming from blizz end.

There are two different 1.14D patches: one for D2 only, and one for LoD only.

With LoD is installed, are you using the LoD specific patch?

When I did the test earlier, I used saved files on my computer. When I get home, I’ll repeat the test using fresh downloads from the support article to make sure it’s all working. However, I suspect it is because there’s been a report of it working so far.

1 Like

I just tried it using the downloads linked in the support article and it worked the same as this morning.

Just be sure to use the patch that corresponds to the install:
D3 → D3 patch
LoD → LoD patch

these links do not work!

1 Like

Same here. These links are not working…

I’ll pass that on.

In the mean time, here is where the links are taken from. (The patch links at the bottom of the page.)

See my post right above you.

can play single player but connecting does not understand version so can never get version D. And blizz support seems elusive without submiting files i never heard of. can you give me a phone number? never had this issue before

Since the links above were not working for everyone when being clicked, I’ve changed them to be the full link.

Copy the full link and paste it into a new tab in your browser to start the download that way.

Once you download the file make sure Diablo II is closed and then run the exe / app to apply the patch.

2 Likes

FIX*
Change to a different Realm/Server.
This will fix the unable to identify version.
When connecting to a different realm or server the update will proc to 1.14d.
Now switch to the server you want to play.

2 Likes

FIX*
Change to a different Realm/Server.
This will fix the unable to identify version.
When connecting to a different realm or server the update will proc to 1.14d.
Now switch to the server you want to play.

1 Like

I have 1.14b installed (installed it minutes ago). The manual patch (1.14d) just says:

This patch does not need to be applied to the game. The version of the game you have installed is more up to date than this patch.

Filename: E:\Diablo II\Game.exe
File version: 1.14.1.256
Patch version: 0.0.0.256

If I try to patch in-game via battle.net it says “Unable to identify version” when I choose any realm other than “Asia”. If I choose Asia it actually tries to download an update but then says “You were disconnected from battle.net. Please reconnect.” This happens either at 0% or 99% of the download every single time.

I just wanna play the game I bought!

Update:
Well, I apparently downloaded the manual patch for D2 and not D2:LOD. Now everythings works as expected. :slight_smile:

Been seeing some new reports of this issue, so bringing it back to the top.

Being more specific you need to change the server to Asia to get the update.

2 Likes

Indeed.

Europe is having a similar issue, and USWest has intermittent connection issues.

Asia is the safest bet.

1 Like

Did the download from Blizzard; yet, the installer asks for a CD key… much like when I had bought the game in the past. So, where do I find the CD key, to install the game, since I downloaded the game?

Hey EnigmaX73,

Your issue isn’t related to the subject of this thread. To avoid confusion for those looking for help with the Unable to Identify Version error, it’s best to start your own, separate thread.