Zereth Mortis: One Week In

I posted less than a week ago that I think Zereth Mortis is an amazing zone and that the it immensely exceeded expectations that were set in the dev preview video.

Now almost a full weekly reset in, that has not changed. I do have a couple of suggestions that could improve this absolutely gorgeous zone even more:

1. Buff the health of most rares. There are some rares that can take a group a couple of minutes to kill, but many others that can take a group a couple of seconds to kill. The rares that die within seconds don’t feel good for those who run across the zone, only to come up on a corpse. An example includes The Engulfer. Compare The Engulfer against Akarris and you’ll understand what I mean.

2. Add more treasures or rares. One thing I loved about Timeless Isle is that you could always run into something to loot within a short distance.

2.a.) I absolutely love the wide roads in Zereth Mortis that are mob-free and allow us to travel without getting asked if a rag smells like chloroform every time a step is taken. I am not asking to increase mob density - that’s balanced perfectly in this zone already, but having a few more rares and treasures up would be awesome. Perhaps slight nerfs to respawn timers can take care of that.

3. Some puzzle caches are randomly bugged and will not allow looting after completing a puzzle. This happens with both manual completion and Pocopoc completion.

Otherwise, I think this zone hit the nail on the head for outdoor content. I freakin love the lack of pressure, the aesthetics, and overall pace of this zone.

Oh and Firim is an amazing character and one of the first times in a while I felt connected with an in-game character. Whoever made this guy and did the voice acting hit it out of the park - I love him! (Oh, and Pocopoc - if anyone tries to take him from me, I’m unleashing blight upon everything and everyone).

Let’s see more of the ZM style with some minor improvements in 10.0!

8 Likes

They need more WQs. Running around killing rares for hours on end isn’t fun.

We need more WQs for rep so we can do them and be done for the day on a given character. I can’t believe there so much less to do in the new zone than what is in Korthia and the maw.

13 Likes

Oh my gosh a positive post! Usually when you see threads of numbered lists around here it’s just “everything that went wrong” in an organized fashion.

But yeah I think it’s a cool zone too. It could use some more events or assaults or some kind of activity to keep people occupied after they finish their dailies. But generally it’s not bad. The Synthesis system will help things out too, just needs a few more things to do.

This is easily my favorite thing too. Zones like the Maw where there’s just hostile mobs everywhere are frustrating. Not only is Zereth Mortis pretty to look at, but so many spots are safe and open so you can actually relax without the chance of being murdered.

2 Likes

Fair.

More WQs would be nice as would less jumping puzzles but I think the devs are all platformer fanatics now.

I’m having fun just wandering around the zone though. It’s really pretty and I like trying to talk to the automata to see if I can find one I can understand yet :grin:

One thing I don’t like is this hideous gear that I just realized I need to transmog asap.

I like ZM but I’ll like it more when we get flying. Also buff rare health

3 Likes

hey @Humanbreak, not to change the subject too much, but do you think MoP-era crafted “gladiator” pieces will still sell good next time Mage Tower rolls around? Or is it better to just keep stockpiling consumables?

It occurred to me that I had an old WoD-era alt that has Mists tailoring leveled up, but if the gear won’t sell good a second time then seems like a waste of time versus just stockpiling more potions/consumables/etc

Anyways, as for the OP topic I think the zone is in serious need of more content/WQs (especially).

A measly 2-3 WQs just isn’t enough, for a zone this size we need more of them plus more variety. I imagine they could “touch up” the zone with a bit of polish in 9.2.5

I love the zone, too, but I really wish they would fix the hunter pet and companion movement bug that also exists in the maw. When you first zone in, everything is fine, but as soon as you transport from one hub to another it shows up.

The Jailer’s Secret Mythic Phase:

He dominates Pocopoc and turns him against us, forcing us to destroy the little bot.

then… do not do it? you do not have to do it

ZM needs what we had in ice crown for the pre patch event

The rares need a warning or a period of invulnerability

I only make it to roughly 25% of the rares before they’re dead :sob:

7 Likes

I’ve definitely been thinking that treasures are much less common here compared to whatever that not-quite-the-Maw place was we just left.

I sold exactly 0 pieces after people figured out TBC gear with a level 45 alt was better.

I don’t, tyvm. I have absolutely no reason to play, which is my point.

1 Like

So TBC greens are better? That’s unfortunate.

I think I blew like 80k+ gold just on buying a bunch of crafted MoP blue gladiator gear for one of my alts. I only did surface-level Google search and all the “mainstream”/popular guides (wowhead, icy veins, etc) were saying to go buy crafted MoP gear off the auction house, rip :-1:

Ah well, live and learn…

Great post, Humanbeak, I agree 100%.
It’s trivial and very personal, but I miss a little cozy nook where to let Goodberry sleep. Korthia has one. Or a tent toy?
About WQs, I don’t want to spoil.

I love the water! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TBC dungeons to be more exact. Chromie time alt gearing is killer.

I run into a fair number of chests. More would be better, though, especially since the puzzles and chests don’t give a ton of cyphers individually.

It feels a little weird right now IMO. You can go into areas where three chests will be within your minimap, and then other places are barren for quite a distance.

1 Like

The rares are fine except the Wasp Feasting with its adds on top of it. That one took out 4 of us.

Vexis though, I can tank solo

:dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: