In this thread I want to give my feedback for zereth Mortis, starting with the first day, and continuing as we continue to experience the zone.
One caveat I will state is that I did not do any of Zereth Mortis on PTR and experienced everything for the first time today.
I play on a small server. So while I know some people had issues with lag in Haven and multiple disconnects, I was only disconnected twice in the time I played today. During that time I did everything I could get my hands on. Every main and side quest, every rare I could find, every chest I could open, and every cave I could enter. I ended my day by conquering what I had failed earlier and reached the summit of the rock orbs to loot the scroll I had watched people ahead of me get with ease. And I did it without any assistance. No warlock, no priest, no 2 seater mount and no door of shadows. I logged out with pride still atop the summit.
Given all that, here are my Initial thoughts:
- The zone is beautiful. The lush green biome and the desert biome are both brilliant and have their own thematic appeal. It’s a nice chance from the Maw and Korthia.
- The quest line was intriguing, and not boring, overall a good pace.
- The side quests were also interesting and I enjoyed them.
- The rares are unique and have several interesting abilities that require interupts or dodging to defeat the rare.
- The challenges to get some of the chests are fantastic. Handynotes was a massive help here, but gaining a buff to break a door or find a rune to open a barrier or jumping perfectly to reach a chest is awesome.
- The puzzles might have been my favourite part of the day, as I love puzzles, but I found the explanations on how to complete them very lacking. I’m sure this was intentional, but I did have a hard time figuring out how to complete them.
- one of the chests I sought to open, through clicking 4 objects emitting a tone, in a specific order despaired the exact second I completed the order. I’m not sure if this was just bad timing, but it was frustrating to go through the effort of figuring out the order and getting nothing out of it.
- many times today I was unable to mount up as I remained in combat long beyond what would be considered normal. Even dismissing my pet and shadowmelding did not drop combat for me.
Overall, it was very refreshing to have new content in a fresh zone. I enjoyed hanging out in discord with my guildies, and running all over for rares and chests and everything else. There were a few frustrating moments, but overall a smooth release (early even!) and I’m looking forward to logging into tomorrow to do it again.