Zekvir's Lair is impossible to complete by "normal" means

This topic is about the “??” (hard) difficult option. This is not about the “?” (easy).

Before we go any further, here is a take: Some people will say “this is something to do when you get more gear later on the expansion” and this is a lie. Zek’vir is a season 1 challenge boss, the will be others when the next season arrives.

Second point is, although other challenges made by blizzard (Karenthad Ebonlocke, Mage Tower, Horrific Visions) were hard to complete, they were not impossible. Mastering the mechanic means you could complete it just fine.

And so why it is impossible?

I tested it with all 3 specs: Tank, Healer, DPS. And if you look at my profile, I completed the level 11 delve without any deaths solo. So although i’m for sure not the best of the best, I at least know what i’m doing with my class.

Before we talk about each role, let me explain why it is impossible with an in-game issue: Brann dies before the fight hits the 30 seconds mark. It doesnt matter if i’m a tank, healer or dps. He stands in the fear, in the frontal cone, he cant dispell the disease the boss does off himself, so he end up dying no matter what spec you in. This is a problem and it needs to be fixed. Also, Brann does zero damage if we compare him to the normal delve version.

TANK: Zek’vir has the same life of the DPS challenge (???) and he has an interesting mechanic. He will summon a web cocoon that needs to be killed in 15 seconds, otherwise it is a problem. The cocoon has 14.9mi life (also the same amount if you enter as DPS).

Tell me right now which tank does 1milion damage per second. I could endless talk about all the other problems I had while trying, but this speaks for itself.

DPS: By far the easiest version of the challenge. Cocoon managed to be killed, but the damage is way too high to bear. The boss does 3.1mi damage per attack (combat log, so this is after armor).

If I let brann takes the aggro, he dies in 3 attacks, so thats not an option either. I wasted all my defensive CD’s within 30 seconds of the fight, and couldn’t mange to kill the second web cocoon while self-healing from the boss hits.

HEALER: This is something I didnt even wanted to talk about. As I said, Brann does nearly 0 damage. If you have Brann at level 30 in normal delves, you can see he does a lot of damage, but thats not the case here, they nerfed him. And yes, the boss has the same amount of health.

Not to mention again that the frontal cone the boss does which for some reason Brann can’t evade does fatal damage (about 48mi physical) so your damage source is gone within a second.

TLDR: My take here is not that I think challenges are terrible, that they should be nerfed nor be that hard. If you did mage tower, horrific visions and you are a warlock that faced Karenthad Ebonlocked you know exactly what Im talking about. If you mastered those bosses mechanics after doing it a 100 times, you could probably finish all of them with heroic level gear at max.

This challenge isn’t it boys. This challenge is probably gatekeeped by huge amount of ilvl or specific specs. I’m not saying it is impossible to complete, because maybe a blood DK out there could beat him even after letting the cocoon spawn mobs? Brewmaster doesn’t has that much of a self heal so I cant tell how viable it is.

Let me finish the topic with: If they nerfed the boss, probably less than 1% of the player base could still go through it.

65 Likes

so ur saying u gotta break the law n go all gangsta to do it

15 Likes

DPSing Cocoon on this toon is no probs.

My issues are:

• Cannot out-heal the DoT (CD on cookie/pot)
  • Instakill in his shockwave because CD on port/gate while slowed
  • Instakill when boss random smacks me.

Damage is too high.
Room is too small.
Mechanics are okay.

6 Likes

Alone in the Darkness was considered Mathematically Impossible. until the kills came.

we were having this chat in 2009. How little things change.

5 Likes

I think I could do it, if I could just get it so that stupid AoE cone would stop landing on the spider egg. I don’t understand how I’m suppose to DPS it down when the cone is always right on it.

3 Likes

Thats is what i’m talking about. All of his mechanics are a joke. Everything (health, damage, timers) is just so near the impossible.

I talked about mage tower, horrific visions. Solo content (most of). U are talking about bosses that once in a while receive hotfixes. We are not the same.

15 Likes

Agreed 100%.

Tone the damage down, because it’s ridiculous. I can get the instakill frontal, but auto attacks doing 1/3 of my HP, casts you cant interrupt due to the heal also ticking for 1/4, and a crit melee almost 1 shotting me?

Zero counterplay. I’m 606 already. 20-30 ilvls isn’t going to help with the current scaling, it basically did nothing to help between an attempt at 585 and now. Oh boy, I can get melee’d one more time.

17 Likes

Alone in the Darkness was completed by STARS before any hotfixes.

We are indeed not the same. I am taking a wider angle of “people get paranoyed when it’s not easy or fast, and are later proven wrong”.

3 Likes

I think they mean before the Season is finished not the x-pac.
The max iLevel this Season is 639 and with most players sitting around 600ish that’s a lot of power waiting to be gained not to mention getting 2 and 4pc Tier.

10 Likes

The autos are the craziest part. I’ve gotta use almost every single holy power healing, leaving nothing for bursting down the egg. Even then, if I’m able to full focus the egg it’s often not enough. Brann needs to help and it’s of course totally random on who he targets, and he’s pretty much dead 30 seconds in.

I don’t even know what more ilvl would do tbh. Even if I had more damage and an extra 1m HP, those autos are insane.

I’m also clueless as to how any class that can’t cleanse the DoT will be able to beat this (Freedom can cleanse it in my case), since you need to spend your interrupt on the regen.

7 Likes

Comparing content that came out half way or the last patch of an expansion vs content when you are at your absolute weakest of an expansion (its still the very beginning for elune’s sake) is silly. You shouldnt be able to beat it right now.

6 Likes

All the bosses in all the delves are way way overtuned. For groups they seem ok but solo and forget it

6 Likes

Sorry, I wont reply to any “but yogg-saron was so hard” anymore. Because after yogg-saron, we had SO MANY fun and hard challenges that not a single player in the world got loud about how hard it was.

I had 500+ deaths at Karenthad. Did I complained about how hard it was? No. Because from start to finish u knew it was possible. You just needed to master it.

The boss one-shooting a DPS with a single meele attack that YOU HAVE TO TAKE isn’t one of those things.

11 Likes

tbh That may be true but I don’t see how we are suppose to get past 610 before the season ends. This entire week been doing delves and only got 2 of the tokens you can use to upgrade the ilevel. It takes alot of these. If we are only getting 2 a week it’s not possible to get full 639 in a season. I suspect people doing group content as well will be able to, but then that beats the entire “Solo” content aspect of the delves if you have to do group content as well to get its full benefits.

6 Likes

It’s day 5.

Season 1 hasn’t even started yet.

6 Likes

Sounds good.
farewell.

All the Zek’vir related achievments are for season 1. You can’t get them on season 2. What’s your point?

2 Likes

Ok so next week season 2 start?

I thought it was season 1 till nov

Season 1 starts on Tuesday.

That you shouldnt be able to get the top achievement of the season week 1 when your gear is at it’s weakest. Like I already said

6 Likes