Your first anime

For those who watch anime or have, what was the first you recall watching.

For me it was The New Gigantor on Sci-fi.

2 Likes

Reruns of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series on circa 2000 Adult Swim.

2 Likes

Robotech (the Americanized version)

7 Likes

dose pokemon count or digimon? if not dragon ball z. all 3 were on tv at the same time before school when i was a kid

2 Likes

gotta be pokemon, i think. although, it was very brief and i got stopped because parents were mega fanatical at the time and thought it was satanic.

then, i got into yugioh which somehow isn’t despite all the magic and demonic nature of a lot of things.

2 Likes

Yu Yu Hakusho here.

8 Likes

This HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER.

IT’S BURNING GRIP TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU.

6 Likes

Voltron when i was younger. Vampire Hunter D on Sci-Fi got me hooked tho.

5 Likes

Probably Speed Racer. I think it was part of Saturday morning cartoons. But it is definitely one of the first three.

4 Likes

Dirty Pair movie Project Eden. Picked up a fansub of it on VHS back in the Mid 80.

2 Likes

Star Blazers! ( an American version of Space Battleship Yamato)

" Something something something Star! Off to Planet Iskandar! Something something rhymes with far!
Our Star Blazers!! "

8 Likes

Robotech/Macross back in the late 80’s.

Edit: I forgot about Star Blazers. That was my first as a teenager in school back in the earlier 80’s.

1 Like

Pretty sure it was Robotech

3 Likes

Ranma 1/2

I wasn’t super into anime growing up but my best friend was. He introduced this series to me.

4 Likes

it had to either be sailor moon or speed racer or whatever that managed to show up during the late 80s. However the real first one that I actually went out of my way to watch, was Dragon Ball Z when that showed on network tv (i forget if it was CBS or NBC) during around the mid 90s (years before cartoon network picked it up) as by then I was starting middle school, so prime audience age. That and also my older bother had Ninja Scroll on vhs around that time too and the violence and blood is what really got me into anime since American cartoons were all pretty tame in comparison.

5 Likes

Ninja Scroll!!

6 Likes

Berserk

7 Likes

Battle of the Planets, as it was in NAmerica.

4 Likes

First and only is the Dragon Ball series

2 Likes

dbz was before it become really popular in america to was like 1994

1 Like