You just couldn't resist it, could you Blizzard? Torghast was too good to be true, so you had to add a timer

Difficulty is tuned in testing a lot differently so everyone can test. But you can become a god in some Rogue-lites too. It’s just you can also be killed no matter how much power you possess. I played a mage in Risk of Rain 2. Had buffs with stuff arcing off of me, instantly killing everything. But there is a worm that can spawn that can still insta-kill you if you don’t watch out.

1 Like

As someone who plays roguelikes a lot, I have to say that by the time you reach the end of most, you CAN be a god. You don’t have to be. Sometimes, the RNG does not fall that way, but, one scroll of extinction can topple an entire playthrough’s balance if you use it correctly.

Maybe a compromise should be starting the torments on later floors. Torghast is supposed to be infinite right, no top floor? Then why not start the torments at floor 20, or floor 30, and just scale the anima powers and the amount of legendary components from the torment-less floors so that there’s incentive for climbing higher and dealing with those torments.

But players can still do a solid 20-30 floors without the “soft timer” and still be collecting what they need, albeit at a slower rate.

2 Likes

Fun fact, all Mario levels have timers. Not the best example tbh.

Most roguelike games are more dynamic than WoW, sure they don’t have timers per se in all, but they typically have continuous floods of creatures so you also can’t just afk and leave for 10 mins, other have difficulty sliders like Risk of Rain where the levels scale based on how long you are in there.

In those games you have constant pressure, you can’t just sit and sit safely because you know the mobs are stationary or don’t follow that patrol path. That is where WoW differs and that is why it needs something to address it.

Should all the NPCs in Torghast use IE PvP AI then you wouldn’t need that, but also you would be hunted down and mercilessly killed instead of able to pull reasonable sized packs.

1 Like

Sorry, still terrible.

Yes, that is why i hated mario.

2 Likes

I would prefer this to a timer, actually. Real difficulty please!

1 Like

The ‘soft timer’ isn’t a problem.

It’s not there to force you to rush, only to incentivize you to keep going rather than waiting around for your cooldowns after every pack which is something Blizzard noticed in the alpha with players testing the shaman class. They’d pop bloodlust/heroism kill a pack, then wait at the next difficult pack until bloodlust/hero was available again, which could mean a 10 minute wait. If a floor has 5 difficult packs, that’s close to 50 minutes spent on one level alone because you ‘waited for CDs’.

They’ve openly said that you’ll have ample time to explore, you won’t feel rushed like you were in the Horrific Visions, but they just don’t want to encourage folks to wait around for cooldowns.

The hard timers however are new, and from what’s been revealed about them, currently they only apply to the higher levels as an extra challenge.

2 Likes

me too
/tenchars

There has to be some danger to the content, especially if what you’re in there to get leads to legendary items with special abilities. Anima powers already make you extremely powerful as you go higher and higher. If Blizzard strictly made difficulty scale the only deterrent, players would get here on the forums and cry about how its “too hard” to get any higher, and Blizzard would have to nerf their own content. At that point, why bother at all?

Call me shocked Blizzard promised something then changed their minds? Ion says one thing with his mouth while his hands say another.

I wonder if the sun still rises up each morning.

2 Likes

Everyone’s got opinions, sure, but you’re only entilted when you have an informed opinion.

tbh I doubt the people who are personally offended by the word ‘timer’ and people who are going to be pushing high levels have a great deal of crossover.

1 Like

Thank you for your condescending assumption that I am enraged by something I do not understand.

2 Likes

Because I can’t be arsed to type this in every thread that pops up about this I’m just gonna quote myself from another thread…

How many of these topics you think we will get in the next 24 hours?

What I don’t get is what their worry is with that. No one is gonna spend that much time in one area of the game anyway. And if they did, what’s the problem? They won’t get other things done? That’s their problem really, not Blizz’s. They try to create too much content that babysits the player.

My option would be for any timer is one you set off for a final battle on each floor that just goes bonkers and has tons of enemies and bosses. But I feel like with this they are falling into that trap they get into where they want people to play how they want them to do it.

4 Likes

What a letdown. I was looking forward to this. Timers are not fun for me. There are a lot of ways of adding danger to something and honestly if someone chooses to wait ten minutes between pulls what is wrong with that? It’s called strategizing. You are trading off the ability to move forward quickly in order to do it cautiously.

This go, go, go time trial mentality is slowly making me want to play the game less. I just want to do something without the Mythic+ mindset.

6 Likes

Rhyth, sadly General Discussion doesn’t care about logic. People will be upset about the sky being blue.

2 Likes

Enough to drop on Theramore and fill the blast crater.

…too soon?

Yes I know. And I STILL hate it. Why is that so hard to understand that I dont want to be punished for taking my time?

2 Likes