You Got what you wanted, dead pvp

yeah, I’m sure the people with 4 hour queues think that.

3 Likes

Post up that 4 hour queue SS.

:raised_hands:

2 Likes

I think this is fundamentally correct. More, there needs to be crossover from PvE to PvP and vice versa. Having separate gear tracks with scaling, removes the incentive to move between content. I think a game that is marketed as an MMO should encourage this, not actively work to hinder it.

6 Likes

If I had to guess? Maybe its blizz’s inability to balance the game and the constant meta changes throughout the season? Maybe its because the game is two decades old and its failing to attract new players? Maybe its from years of neglect and lack of development? Maybe its because blizz gated pvp behind grinding going in the exact opposite direction of other sucsessful main stream games including rpgs for the better part of a decade. Blizz reminds me of Harley Davidson, when the rest of the world is marching forward with new tech, they keep pumping out bikes that only boomers want to play/ride. There are plenty other plausible explanations, but the fact that so few people are supporting what you are saying should help you realize what you are hypothesizing is wrong, OK BOOMER.

The game being more excisable is a great thing, and honestly probably the biggest factor keeping pvp alive right now.

My spec/class just got nerfed into the dirt, if I had to spend a month gearing him getting one shot by players who are already geared just to be able to start to compete, that would be it for me. I would cancel my sub and move on. But we can quickly re roll and play a different class without going through that painful long boring process that I absolutely hated. So i’ll probably start playing warrior and have him up and running in a few days. If that wasn’t an option I would just walk away from the season and try again in 4-5 months when the next season started and hoped/prayed whatever class I chose to main doesn’t get nerfed into the dirt. I really don’t know why thats so hard to understand. I feel like plenty of people are still queing pvp because they enjoy pvp, all none rated bg que times are fast, and I generally don’t have long wait times for rated, besides rss that is. 3’s I get a que pop in 30 seconds - 1 minute, same with rated bgs etc. You are a doomer boomer, dime a dozen. Get real.

If anything end game pvp needs to be even more accessible to all players.

8 Likes

TLDR; Give me handouts because I am not good at this video game & I’m too lazy to do simple things like BGs to pre-BiS arenas.

5 Likes

Yes. Other griefers like yourself mostly contain themselves within Classic.

WoW’s decline is due to myriad factors, but probably the biggest one for PvP was that they didn’t make it truly competitive soon enough. Blizzard could have treated arena with the respect it deserved, given its monstrous playerbase in absolute terms (a minority within WoW as a whole, but in isolation still a highly successful PvP game), but instead they were pigheaded and dragged their feet, and real PvP games started releasing and siphoning players away from WoW. MOBAs were the biggest one, but even a game like Overwatch has significant RPG crossover.

The other biggest factor is the same one that plagues the entire game, which is that the onboarding process for new players it hot dogwater. To a new player this game is a sphinx. The game already is not going to attract many new players due to it inherently not appealing much to younger gamers, and with how convoluted everything is, those that it does get are mostly going to quit. This impacts PvP even more-so than PvE because it just feels that much worse to be at that kind of disadvantage in a competitive setting.

PvP won’t be saved by reverting back to it being a griefing simulator at its core. RPGs are also not defined by power progression. It’s an incredibly sad commentary on how you view the genre that you think that is the case.

12 Likes

Yep, just about right I would say! Now to read their smarky comments on how we the players should just GET GUD lol. Players get one dose of wow and are like ehhh screu this and go play something else. AND that is the PvE side, not even considering the barrier to entry for pvp lol. Thats a whole new plateau of madness.

Another post said it best, the Elites would rather the game die than to change.

3 Likes

Know what killed PvP? Poor balance, awful MMR system. Going 4-2 and getting 0-1 point cause you got stuck with a placement healer yet you MANAGED to win 1 with them.

2 Likes

whats funny is all the pvp players, whenever i look on stream, they are playing mythic plus or wow classic dungeons lol

4 Likes

Like…who?

Pika been doing viewer 2s / RSS all night :woman_shrugging: Mes is running 3s with Cdew and Trill currently.

3 Likes

I que into streamers constantly, so could have fooled me. Or are they not allowed to enjoy other parts of the game?

3 Likes

That PvP damage change was terrible. It’s taking players way to long to die.

True, as the game died, its still alive on a handfull of servers in 2030. I noticed WoW on a steam bundle for 10 bucks, log into to hear some Gladiator talk about he was the blizzcon champ back in the old 2022. And how all you scrubs need to GET GUD lol.

There was a few players in trade chat that day, one said lol grandpa go to bed.

1 Like

You just come off as a pretentious pos if anything. In the hardest raid tiers of all time 1.5% of mythic progging guilds got CE. In easier tiers like nyalotha it was just under 10% of guilds got CE. This is just guilds not player percentage which with 25 man rosters would end up being very high. The only people who are going to stick around in pvp for useless participation trophies like duelist are die hard pvpers everyone else is leaving for pve. Nothing changes as long as the only meaningful title glad is locked behind the same 500 players and their 4 alts.

4 Likes

I’m sorry that I don’t agree with making meaningful rewards more accessible just to please people who either aren’t good enough (yet) to obtain it & want to take the easy way out by complaining for artificial rating gain (i.e: make mmr skyrocket to make static ratings obsolete).

Call me pretentious I really could care less what you think about me, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s true. If you really want something, work at it, get better… learn the game rather then just throwing your hands up & crying to Blizzard to essentially make the game easier for you.

Gladiator is supposed to be prestigious; it is only 2nd to Seasonal Gladiator .1% titles as far as PvP goes. The average PvPer shouldn’t be able just to log in & get the title just for playing the game at an average level, that defeats the entire purpose of the title.

Either way, the reward system is not the problem with PvP, it’s the accessibility (meaning Solo Shuffle times, LFG) that is the problem.

Find a way to forego LFG by allowing people to Q 3v3 when they want to just by pressing a button; you have a winning solution.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I did when Shadowlands first came out. And that was because I was bad and mad. Then in S2 Rival, then S3 Shadowlands duelist and got the gear, and honestly, it was felt so rewarding to have grinded it out.

And the reward was that you got to stomp people in normal BGs and WPVP, was so fun.
I completely regret going against it, gear differentials is fun, and it feels good, but the problem is they should have made it more progressively linear in dripping gear upgrades rather than dropping full tiers per 200 rating increments (1400, 1600, 1800). Should’ve been every 25CR up the ladder you get a piece

1 Like

Fun for the person with the gear, sure.

However, picture being a new player (literally fresh honor gear) excited to try out PvP after hearing about it for so long (maybe from a buddy who’d been playing etc) then you get into a match & just get clapped (like Donkey Kong → A Smash clapped) instantly.

That fellow isn’t going to want to keep trying to play if that happens.

Dragonflight’s gearing is pretty good, only 2nd to WoD’s (could be even if it wasn’t for the crafting items).

10 Likes

Uhh… I’m nowhere near a pvp elitest and think gear progression as a reward sytem for pvp is lazy. The problem is most of the “important” WoW pvp where everything matters is tied to arena and battleground instances that have zero impact on anything else in the world. Perpahs progression can involve more world pvp and more of an impact on the actual world from it?

Whatever the case, I do not want gear progression and inevitable power disparities as a reward for pvp.

3 Likes

Tbh, I wish we had more WPvP events in older zones that granted rewards like conquest etc.

Would be neat to have a Halaa event every couple of hours.

They could use the same layering tech as SoD & just have the zone change when a battle is happening like Legion’s invasions (maybe max level players can’t mount or fly while in nagrand & battle is going on etc).

1 Like

yeah, that was me. SL was first time i seriously pvp’d, and i was getting massacre’d in S1, but I stuck through 3 seasons and persevered. And the journey and grind was worth it. Seeing your gear get better and better felt great.

but I mean, I don’t hate the current system either. WPVP is beyond dead, so the gear tier power trip doesn’t matter anyway.