Yoshi defends wow

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-14-director-hates-that-people-think-his-game-has-beat-world-of-warcraft/

there you have it

3 Likes

Have what?

Doesn’t meant it didn’t happen, he’s just dsiappointed that it did.

I am so old…
I remember when pcmag would put free trial games in their jackets on “5 1/4”; 360k floppy disks.

10 Likes

The games feed off each other now.

I mean he also said that WoW is like EQ. Which he ain’t wrong. EQ split their base into 2 with EQ 2 and basically doubled down on harder endgame content while basically trivializing the leveling process with LDoN.

I think it’s a combination of him taking the high ground and not wanting the pressure of being the top MMO. He wants to retain his humility and underdog status because that is an easier place to operate from for a lot of people.

But I don’t think his comment matters much in the context of current WoW. They clearly didn’t base their game on Systemlands.

2 Likes

Yes, when you are on top everyone is looking for the next thing that will “kill” your game.

Just like the current situation where FF14 is considered a success and WoW is dying although they debatably have similar sub numbers

You see it in sports too. Rafael Nadal in tennis has won the French Open 13 times and whenever a reporter tells him he’s the big favorite to win again he insists that he is not and that he will have to play very well to beat anyone, lol.

Some people are just compulsively humble and are averse to the pressure of being the top dog.

1 Like

I thought this was gunna be a weird meme with Yoshi from Mario

3 Likes

Yeah, he couldn’t possibly be genuine and speaking at face value.

Oh wait, that’s what he’s always done and is why he has the success he has.

“The pressure of being the top MMO” is the funniest possible response you could have in regards to a man who single-handedly turned a dumpster fire of a game into a massively successful one, who’s not only director of FFXIV (the current top MMO) during the last four months before an expansion release, whose best friend almost died of cancer (Soken, FFXIV’s composer) in the last year, but also currently executive producer on FFXVI (16).

“The pressure of being the top mmo” is the most uninformed take you could make.

He’s just a genuine man with a passion for what he does.

I know you aren’t used to seeing that, since you’re here, but that’s where his success comes from, and why also FFXIV is actually in it’s most successful state it’s ever been in.

Bunny bois don’t hurt either I guess.

7 Likes

None of the things you brought up contradict what I said. How does his friend almost dying in particular have anything to do with what I said?

The idea that

is something that would even phase him. Like he’s praising something he’s always talked favorably about it, just because he “doesn’t want the pressure.”

The man lives at the bottom of the mariana trench at this point, and you act like he can’t handle what he calls his “life’s work” being “the top mmo.”

He’s just being genuine, and doubting that with some weird theory about the pressures of being at the top is silly, when he’s been there for quite a long time.

Both games are honestly fun in their own way. The only games I’ve seen that’s to be in competition with WoW being D&D Neverwinter (Which is no longer fun; due to trying too hard to imitate Modern WoW.) and Warframe (Which almost rivals WoW when it comes to fun and content.)

I bet Yoshi has a bigger yacht.

He honestly probably still plays and enjoys WoW, he’s a huge WoW fanboy.

I read Yoshi and thought of that little green dinosaur thing from Mario.

:woman_shrugging:

Not trying to look like a weeb here, but you do realize that Japanese culture values humility a lot right? You’re so used to uncaring companies like Blizz that you’re becoming inherently skeptical lol.

7 Likes

It’d be pretty tasteless for him to do so, it’d be like hearing the lead dev of a game like Hearthstone or Runeterra crap-talk Magic the Gathering or Jeff Kaplan trashtalk a game like Team Fortress.

After all, it’s not like he created FF because he hated WoW. He outright admits it’s a huge influence on his game.

2 Likes

“The hard work we’ve been putting into Final Fantasy 14 did pay off,” Yoshida continued. “But this whole conversation about surpassing WoW is the wrong conversation to have and it’s honestly irritating.” When the interviewer chimed in telling Yoshida he was hoping he would have said “we’re the best,” he responded, "if I was that type of guy, we’d miss our footing on the way and 14 wouldn’t be loved by so many people."

God damn Yoshi P why you gotta be such a nice guy

It’s a common personality trait even in successful people. Like with Rafael Nadal as I said.

He has never had the pressure of being the top MMO. Expectations were never that high and from where he started with FF14, it really couldn’t have gotten worse.

Matsuno was another FF game director who really couldn’t handle pressure and that ended his career with Square Enix (well actually he still writes for them). Although Yoshi obviously handles it better than he did.

1 Like