Yogg-Saron is the big bad of Dragonflight

Here’s my speculation, take it or leave it.

With the helm broken there was no one other than the voice of Yogg-Saron to compel the Scourge. Yogg-Saron was always there whispering to the Scourge but the Helm of Domination kept them firmly under the command of the Jailer. Still they mined Saronite and fortified Icecrown Citadel with it. This Saronite was the means Yogg-Saron uses to take over the Scourge.

Yogg-Saron has convinced the Scourge that they need to raise Galakrond, frost giants were sent to Galakronds rest to try an raise him in Legion, but they can’t raise him, because a bone from his skeleton is missing. This bone was taken by a Taunka and eventually found its way into the hands of Ebon Blade Deathknight Trag Highmountain.

I want Trag to continue to be a hero, but what if he is one of the people who has taken advantage of the lack of a Lich King to surplant himself as the new leader of the Scourge under the influence of Yogg-Saron and it’s his vital piece of the puzzle that allows Galakrond to be raised.

With the new void influence over the Scourge, I think it’s all but assured Yogg-Saron will feature in some way in Dragonflight, especially since the Dragon flights themselves were created specifically by Tyr, in part, to fight Yogg-Saron and the Old Gods.

3 Likes

The Dragon flights weren’t created to fight Yogg-Saron. They were created because Tyr was impressed by the value and courage of the five proto-drakes who worked with and ultimately killed Galakrond. Thus the Dragon Aspects and the flights were created because Tyr felt, and most of the other keepers agreed, that the dragons should stand with them as Azeroth’s defenders.

6 Likes

Incidentally Galakrond seems aligned with Decay which is infecting the Dragon Isles and being made blatantly known as an Element corrupting the Gnolls.

1 Like

What’s scary about Galakrond? I thought his power level was a meme now

I think Blizzard is done with the old god topic for some time. N’zoth was too much. They should give it a rest for at least 3 expansions.

2 Likes

Part of why Tyr and Odyn disagreed and eventually had a falling out was because of the Curse of Flesh and how both felt was necessary to protect Azeroth from the Old Gods. The Old Gods were a known threat, long before Azeroth was seeded by the Titans. Yes, the Dragons did start out as a primordial lifeforms that the Titans saw potential in, but what do you think created Galakrond? Galakrond lived in Northrend, in Yogg-Saron’s domain. If you read Dawn of the Aspects the way Galakrond is described is similar to being corrupted by old Gods, he had pustules and eyeballs growing from his skin. He was infected with Old God corruption. The necrotic affliction was something he developed by consuming flesh of his kin.

I know this is in the realm of speculation, but Galakrond and Xibala were two primordial progenitors of thier race (apparently) who were cursed with Old God corruption. That becomes even more supicious when in Dawn of the Aspects, Deathwing revealed to Thrall that the Titans were using Azeroth to expirement on Old God corruption. Y’sera calls the Chronicle lore “the Titans convenient lie” they were not the result of mutation from elements, they were the result of the Titan expirements on creatures to create an Old God in Uldir.

Chronicle is no longer gospel, the Titan history is full of lies to hide the Titans secrets. Tyrshold was locked away to protect some of these secrets. Soome of these secrets will be revealed in Dragonflight, which may retroactively change the known lore. Not retcons, just the truth that the Titans themselves are unreliable narrators, who glossed over thier own sins. Loken correpted the Disks of Norgannon, we have yet to find any uncorrupted disks. There was hints that some were possibly kept in Mechagon but that ended up just being clever forshadowing. We are going to soon get the whole truth about the Titans, and why more than anything, Yogg-Saron wants to see the Titan Pantheon fall.

Curse of Flesh happened way after Odyn had his hissy fit and left to create the “Halls of Valor”.

Loken was an easy target for Yogg to blackmail because the keepers were no longer unified and the prime designate had ran off to do his own thing. Which is what led to the curse of flesh being created.

4 Likes

Then what was the last thing that Loken said to his father, that the very suggestion would make him one shot the player in the Halls of Valor? Why/How did Xal’atath know about this interaction if she was not present when it happened?

You do remember that chronicles was originally marketed as the “lore bible”. That being no longer the case is a retcon because the current writing team wants to do their own thing.

Loken was involved in Heyla’s betrayal. By this point Loken was already under Yoggs influence. It was Loken via Yogg that removed Odyns mind control on the val’kyr. That has been consistent with the fury warrior artifact weapon lore book in Legion.

As for Knifu knowing about it… probably some void related ability or she was “there”.

1 Like

that’s not entirely true, Charge of the Aspects was written in 2009 long before Chronicle, and it is in this short story where the idea that the Titans are keeping secrets was first revealed. The writing team at the time may have called Chronicle “the Lore Bible” to sell it’s $60 a piece books to nerds, but the Titans being shady was always lowkey canon.

Exactly, by the time of Odyn’s betryal, Loken had been manipulated and Tyr was becoming aware of some of the Titan forged becoming infected with Flesh. I don’t remember the exact details but it’s tied to the Winterskorn War. There’s a quest in Legion about it aptly titled “Hidden History.”

Xal’atath serves the strongest of her brothers, not N’Zoth ( the weakest) but Yogg-Saron, the strongest of her brothers. She knows this because he told her this, she knew about his plans. they have a much bigger plan, because us defeating the weakest brother is just the start of the Rise of the Black Empire story.

I think you are trying to reorganize events to fit your new narrative, or you are intentionally misreading what i’ve said.

Helya’s rebellion happened AFTER Odyn had gone off to make the Halls of Valor. Remember, Odyn killed her and turned her into a Val’kyr because she refused to force Vrykul women to become Val’kyr. That happened after Odyn and his keepers had a verbal debate surrounding the creation of the Aspects. Which Odyn lost. Hence the Halls of Valor in the first place.

Loken came under Yogg’s influence after Odyn had gone off to do his own thing but before Helya launched her rebellion as a Val’kyr. She was able to do so because of Loken removing Odyns control over her and the other Val’kyr. Basically the order of events go

Creation of the Aspects > Odyn killing Helya, turning her into a Val’kyr and forming the Halls of Valor > Yogg-saron blackmails Loken over the murder of Sif > Yogg (as Sif) tricks Loken into corrupting the Forge of Wills with the Curse of Flesh. At some point afterwards, Loken kidnaps Hodir and Freya while attempted to murder Mimiron. Loken also freed Helya from odyns control. Tyr, Archaedas and their friend Ironaya was observing Lokens betrayal and sought to steal the Discs of Norgannon. This heist resulted in Tyr’s “death” as he killed one of the two C’thraxxi Loken sent. While wounding the other.

Y’shaarj was the strongest. Yogg was probably the second strongest. There is a reason why Y’shaarj was pulled out like a weed while the others were imprisoned.

While Chronicles has been labelled as “from the Titans pov”, there might be some stuff in it that are still true. Thanks to Danuser we have to look at Chronicles from a case by case basis (or event by event).

1 Like

fine, chalk it up to confirmation bias, maybe that’s all it is. like I said this is just speculation.

I think Yogg-Saron is a big player in this whole franchise. I think there is forshadowing that he will come back in a big way in Dragonflight because a lot of these lore threads can be connected back to him, for at least two expansions now.

That had more to do with the titans not knowing that ripping out the old gods was going to harm azeroth. It had less to do with Y’saarjs power

1 Like

No they knew that ripping them out would be a problem. Hence why they created the Titanforged in the first place. However Y’shaarj proved too much for their creations. So Aman’thul ripped Y’shaarj out. Knowing the risks.

One reason I am still against Chronicles being labelled “titans pov” is… who wrote it in universe? How did they know about events that they couldn’t have known? The titans were “dead” for a long time. How did they know about the events that look place on Draenor after Aggramar left it?

2 Likes

They didn’t realize how dug in the old gods were until the gaping wound left behind when y’saarj was ripped out.

The containment was a safety precaution from preventing further harm to azeroth

Y’shaarj wasn’t the strongest. he was just the one who Aman’thul tried to kill. That’s a huge misconception that he’s the strongest. He’s responsible for the Sha, but he was neutralized pretty quickly and we never really got to see his real strength. I think he and Yogg-Saron were stronger that N’Zoth and C’thun for sure, but Yogg-Saron has the Emerald Nightmare, the nightmare mist, he’s corrupted Titan keepers, He created the Curse of the Fesh and if Ilgynoth is to be believed “Flesh is his gift, he is your true master.” Yogg-Saron is GOD.

It is stated directly that he was. How is that a “misconception”?

1 Like

it’s stated directly where?

“The greatest of these bastions was built around Y’shaarj, the most powerful and wicked of the Old Gods” - Chronicles vol 1, page 29.

Now show we where Yogg is stated to be the strongest / most powerful.

1 Like

yogg-saron is based on H.P Lovecraft’s Outer God, Yog-Sothoth. He’s the one all of Ilgynoth’s prophesies speak of, there’s no significance of Y’shaarj, it doesn’t matter what Chronicle says. Yogg-Saron is the only one that matters outside of Azeroth (Azathoth.)

I don’t give a care to what Chronicle says. Chronicle is flawed. It’s unreliable narration from the Titan’s perspective. It’s not law, it’s not the Bible. Ion said so at the last live Blizzcon before the Shadowlands trailer reveal. defending Chronicle is pointless and offbase. it’s going to be retconned But the lore isn’t, this lore exists beyond my speculation.

1 Like