Yet another RDF post

Dead Horse beating commence

RDF is perhaps one of the only things that you can opt out of participating in and it wont hamper your competitive edge in raiding or PVP. If you like, you can simply not use it. Stick to spamming chat and build groups the old fashioned way.

I think the diagnosis of RDF being a catalyst in the decline of wow ignores the myriad of changes that happened to raids at the end of Wrath and the massive overhaul the entire game underwent in Cataclysm. So in short, Wrath needs to ship with RDF, the casual nature of Wrath is a top reason why it was the all time high in subscriber numbers and RDF was a huge part of that.

67 Likes

The strangest thing about all of this is that in the interview from last week Brian Birmingham stated that Blizzard were planning on NOT including RDF from a potential future Wrath of the Lich King Classic as far back as the Classic Vanilla Development in 2019.

Clearly there has been enough feedback in this forum and from the community that the speculation from 2019 should be re-evaluated!

26 Likes

I dont understand how you make a major decision 2 - 3 years ago and not expect the player sentiment to be different than you thought it was.

5 Likes

Some would have the point of view that having an easier way to have their alt characters boosted through RDF is a competitive advantage in both.

Time saved is a strong edge in competition.

4 Likes

Tagging to follow

1 Like

Then the argument could be made that efficiency is better for the game overall. Why should people with minimal time to play be forced into a dungeon system that they can barely use because they don’t have time for lengthy dungeon set up.

RDF is a net positive (IMO) to wow in general and should be included at launch. That being said, limiting it to server only or requiring travel to the dungeon after automatic grouping is a compromise I could feel ok with. I dont love it, but I could get on board.

5 Likes

Idk ask some MMO designers.

1 Like

It wasn’t in the game from the launch of the expansion.
It shouldn’t be put into the game period tbh, but, at the very least, it shouldn’t come out until the same patch as it did originally.

They should just implement cross server grouping capabilities and implement a retail style LFG messaging board system that you can access from anywhere in the world. I don’t know why so many people only see LFD as an option. It would probably be faster to just browse the LFG board than it would be to wait 50 minutes for a DPS queue anyway.

1 Like

Everyone knows this and its irrelevant. I know the Anti-RDF crowd thinks this is a massive revelation but its not.

Its an unnecessary hinderance on convenience and game play all in the name of what? Community? Please, the wow community is toxic for the most part and a lack of RDF will not help or change that.

Because I can quest, make a sandwhich, alt tab out and “surf the web” while I wait for that queue to pop.

Literally, if you don’t like it. Don’t use it. It hinders you none at all to ignore the feature all together. Majority of players want it.

15 Likes

How is it irrelevant? It wasn’t in the game. It fundamentally alters the way the game is played. You couldn’t bypass the daily Heroic limit before LFD was introduced, but you absolutely could do so afterward. It fundamentally alters the way that the game is played. That’s not the Wrath that I played.
That’s the reason why it is actually necessary.

Just because you can do things that aren’t WoW while you play WoW doesn’t mean you are shortening the amount of time it takes to run a dungeon. You’d be able to finish a dungeon significantly faster by actively trying to get into a group. LFD existing will take players out of the pool of the normal LFG spam and making a dungeon group will go from a 10 minute ordeal to a much longer one.

It’s absolutely a problem, and you can’t just “not use it” it still affects you whether you choose to specifically interact with it or not.

They should just implement a system for cross realm grouping and throw in the LFG board that we had during Legion and beyond. That system would make it easy to find your own groups without altering the playstyle of Classic.

2 Likes

How does it effect you? According to the Anti-RDF people there will be tons of players still not using it because you all are the silent majority…

Which is it

6 Likes

I just explained why it affects you regardless. It’s the same situation as flying. Sure, you could NOT use flying mounts, but that doesn’t stop other people from using them. You are just at a disadvantage.

In the case of LFD, it removes people from the pool of available potential players who would be willing to group with you, AND it bypasses the once a day heroic lockout. You will have raiders who are spamming the LFD system in a full 5 man group in order to gain gear faster than anybody else. It’s a net negative in both regards. Like Blizzard said: If you are somebody who enjoys LFD then retail is there for you.

I’d also be curious to know how many of the people asking for LFD to come back actually played in WotLK and how many are merely just trying to hop on the hype train that they missed out on in the past.

2 Likes

Because RDF is what the community wants and people will be using it. Why should we suffer for the minorities desire to artificially hinder the rest of us?

8 Likes

RFD or LFD is fine as long as it doesn’t teleport you to the dungeon.

1 Like

I see this a lot and I dont care either way, why is this so important?

2 Likes

Cause PvP servers exist, teleporting removes the point of travel.

1 Like

I get that. However, during the leveling process how would that work? Say I decided to level in Borean Tundra and my dungeon pops in Howling Fjord. The expectation now is for the group to wait for me travel to Menethil and then to Howling fjord?

That seems like an arbitrary hinderance on dungeon grouping.

5 Likes

Sounds like a mmorpg to me.

Also why would you go back to Azeroth when you could ride across two zones, that’s what I did back in the day.

Grab some FPs along the way or do it ahead of time before queueing so your group isn’t waiting on you or choose a specific dungeon in your area.

3 Likes

Just because something was, doesn’t mean it should be anymore. Arbitrary mechanics that slow gameplay for no benefit except “Its an mmorpg” are reserved for new content. This is 14 year old content that will most likely run on a shorter cycle than it did originally.

A large portion of the players that will be playing it are from retail where dungeon finder is the standard or people that came to Wrath in the last year of its cycle. Fact is RDF was a vast improvement on gameplay and its stubborn nostalgia or adherence to mmorpg purity that is keeping this argument alive.

The majority of players want it, those that dont are free not to use it and they’re gameplay will be none the less for it. I played wrath at launch and I hated dungeons because of the grouping and travel aspect. I barely did any. The rewards from running a dungeon felt lack luster for the travel required and the interruption of my questing. When RDF came along I ran hundreds of dungeons because it didn’t interrupt the flow of my gameplay and questing.

Because you did it, doesnt mean someone else would want to run through 2 high level zones or spoil the natural flow of questing by grabbing FPs on the way.

So completely abandon my questing to travel to an instance on the other side of the map from me so when I am done I can fly back across to where I came from or onto the next instance I want to queue for?

This exhaustive travel for no benefit at all really.

5 Likes

Benefits me greatly, I like wpvp.

The game is already PvE favored, let me have my bread crumbs. Don’t be selfish.

Grab fps ahead of time or do dungeons in the zone you’re in.

4 Likes