Yet another guild bank post

NEW TLDR

My compromise idea is for a purchasable guild rank (2000 gold for a 1 time use **gold sink meaningful choices)called the quartermaster that when a player is assigned they gain access to a bank tab at their personal bank similar to the retail guild bank today. But just one page 98 slots. And only the quartermaster can access it. Vanilla like was my idea goal.

TLDR: I strongly lean towards #nochanges. And I am completely fine with classic being authentic. I also don’t care either way if guild banks are in since I’m a TBC starting player. And I think I have a decent understanding of the argument for and against guild banks.

So on to the point. There is a lot of guild bank discussion happening recently. There was a recent compromise posting that prompted me to posit my compromise idea I had last week.

My idea could potentially allow for guild banks in classic while mostly keeping, if not totally keeping the vanilla feel. The idea is for the creation of a purchasable guild rank called the ‘quartermaster’.

The quartermaster once assigned would gain access to a bank page at their personal bank similar to live guild banks but just one page. Only the quartermaster would be able to access the bank and if the quartermaster is demoted to a non quartermaster rank they lose that access and nothing is lost just awaits a new quartermaster.

Transparency comes in the form of the guild ledger that shows all transactions. Players in the guild can look at the bank page but not be able to take stuff only deposit. Or maybe not even deposit maybe all transactions must go through the quartermaster.

There could even be some kind of lock that the gm and officers have to unlock to allow the quartermaster to give certain items to a player sort of like the loot council system in that its a guild effort to divvy up certain loot.

And to make it a gold sink the rank of quartermaster and its perk of the extra bank access could cost say 2000 gold or more.

This seems similar to like how it was in vanilla. Ive read that in vanilla a guild member would basically be the quartermaster, presumably someone that the gm and officers found trustworthy.

They would handle the duties of storing and inventorying guild assets. And sometimes they would create and provide online access to a spreadsheet that allowed guildees to see what was in the guilds inventory. But again it was all trust.

Now I get the community issue with this, its part of community building and friendship building within a guild to forge trust among the members. But I also get the other argument about potential unsavory behavior that could arise with a player or players having all the guilds loot to themselves and processing it completely on the honor system.

Again, just an idea. I don’t mind either way if banks make it in. I also understand both arguments for and against guild banks being in classic. Mostly agree with #no changes, but Im good with #sensible non impactful changes-- I’m good with both. Thank you.

5 Likes

Guild banks are basically a lose-lose situation in classic. On one hand it makes guilds easier to manage, but on the other hand it makes classic less “authentic.”

19 Likes

no :black_small_square:

31 Likes

What she said.

19 Likes

guild banks are a terrible idea and you should feel terrible for suggesting them.

21 Likes

Starman, is that you?

7 Likes

No ty, ty.

5 Likes

It’s not a lose-lose at all. There’s absolutely no reason to expect it.

It’s the same as saying lfd is a lose-lose. On one hand it makes doing dungeons easier, but on the other hand it makes classic less “authentic”.

Exact same thing.

3 Likes

I don’t know how could I feel terrible about positing an idea for a compromise to the no guild bank vs. yes guild bank debate.

Remember I don’t mind either way guild banks or no guild banks.

A quote from my op- the TLDR.

Guild banks, in a vacuum are a harmless convenience.

But #nochanges isn’t #nochanges because vanilla was a beautiful polished gem and any change could only serve to make it less perfect.

#nochanges exists because no changes are made in a vacuum.

We’re all afraid of the slippery slope.

We don’t want well intentioned changes, because we don’t trust Blizzard’s judgement.

16 Likes

I get that. I just hope that if its decided that guild banks will be included that its implemented in such a way that it feels to most players to be as authentic to the vanilla experience as possible.

1 Like

There is literally 0.0% reason for Blizzard to even consider this. Peoples’ unrealistic expectations are…just that. Guild banks are no more likely than lfd, lfr, flying mounts, garrisons, artifact weapons.

8 Likes

Guild banks are for the lazy people who can’t be bothered to come to raid prepared.

1 Like

LFD is actually one of the contributors to the lost community that Retail is suffering.

3 Likes

Totally.

Imo the random dungeon finder is the single greatest server community killer that was added to wow.

1 Like

As much as I’d love to pretend it wasn’t, because it certainly is convenient… yeah, it totally is the community killer. LFD, LFR, CRZ, and connected realms all did their part to kill communities.

Not sure about CRBGs, but then again I’m not a huge fan of PVP.

1 Like

Exactly.

So Blizzard listens and implements Guild Banks because players asked for this one harmless thing.

This just encourages people who want any number of “QoL” and appearance changes to relentlessly hound Blizzard for those too.

It would be so easy to make a dozen or so small changes with unintended consequences and completely ruin Classic. I hope they are completely ignoring requests like this realizing that.

4 Likes

The slippery slope is exactly why I don’t want them to add expansions, apart from doubting they’d be financially permitted to keep them all separate.

I suspect expansions aren’t even a twinkle in Blizzard’s eye right now. First they have to get Classic up and running and then wait years to see how financially viable it is, especially in light of the fact that TBC content is still available in a sorta original form. Or, at the very least, not changed in the same way that Vanilla was mangled.

All I know is that if Blizzard makes expansions compulsory like they did in Retail, or decides instead to simply wipe people’s character rosters every few years to “keep things fresh” like I’ve seen some people suggest, then I’m not playing Classic.

Expansions and character wipes are my deal-breakers.

1 Like