Yeah, SOM failed for a reason

If i was blizzard i would honestly shut down classic. Its obvious they where right. We thought we did but we really didnt. Shut down classic blizzard focus on retail.

why are you stalking my threads? rofl there was nothing wrong with dungeon boosting… if you like questing so much just go quest! TA DA it doesnt affect you at all

It certainly isn’t worse than the player trends we already see happening in the game because of the decision to avoid cross realm play.

Mega servers are the player workaround to cross realm.

The people I know who quit SOM, who never came back to TBC, who burnt out. And it wasn’t because of leveling. It was because of raiding.

It’s a different feel - playing a somewhat newer game - bosses with diff mechanics etc and not being able to “prep” 100% ahead of time.

SOM was supposed to be temporary. Unfortunately most folks didn’t like that idea and blizzard—in there infinite wisdom—waited until a couple weeks ago to fix that.

Who would have thought that people wouldn’t want to spend months on something that had no permanence. Silly blizzard.

This was only one issue, but it caused an exodus early on. Coupled with blizzard making too many servers and not offering free transfers earlier, SOM was on a Rocky foundation to begin with.

SOM was made for the hardcores but blizzard’s bean counters messed it up.

I wonder how many people would have continued playing on a SOM server if they knew they could transfer to wrath? I really don’t understand why blizzard waited to fix this until it was basically over. What a bunch of goofs.

Seaonsal play is a big turnoff. If I wanted that I could play Diablo 3.

Like many people have mentioned the issue right now with SOM is it released when much of the Classic community are still playing through the the various “Classic” expansions. I bet once we get past the more iconic expansions we’ll see a resurgence of SOM. Maybe even SOM TBC and SOM Wrath, there is a lot of potential with SOM and it’ll be cool to see what they do with it.

You’re proving your own point wrong. Megaservers are where the “toxic environment” is, for the very same reason as cross-realm being the problem. Humans don’t connect in a see of faceless bodies. You have to have a small enough group that you recognize people, and encounter them enough times to actually see a benefit to reaching out and talking to them.

If your entire goal for WoW is to get shinies and quit, you’re right, cross-realm satisfies that goal. But don’t claim that megaservers are ‘more social’ because that flies in the face of every piece of evidence.

2 Likes

Correct. Because blizzard doesn’t put in cross realm features, players choose overwhelmingly to play on the highest population servers, that way they get the benefit of having people to play with.

WoW is a game that has activities which require other people to complete. Your best odds to have a good experience there is always to choose the server with the most people on it.

If you don’t have cross realm features, you get mega servers. You end up in the same place, just through a different method (and way, way more money flowing into Blizz’s pockets to pay for the server transfers).

Refusing to put in LFD also pushes harder for mega servers.

Every restriction you place on people to keep them from easily finding people pushes their behavior to choose servers that maximize their ability to play with other people as needed.

It’s cross realm or mega servers as the two choices. Since they both have the same exact downsides, I prefer the cross realm option, as it has more upsides.

“Because some players chose to make things worse, lets pull the ripcord and destroy it all systematically.”

Why would you want this? Who hurt you as a child???

Ahh, I see. Your logic is broken and you’re running with it. So here’s the full suite of “Stuff”.

• RDF becomes Realm-Locked. At worst, you can add a 30 minute delay before it goes otuside the server.
  • Megaservers are manually capped. If there are more than 6k active accounts on the server, no new accounts can create characters.
  • Guild transfers and bulk multi-account transfers are added for a price.
  • Paid transfers become directed. If a faction exceeds 60% balance in active characters, new characters cannot be transferred to the server if they are of that faction. At the same time, free transfers off the server only for that faction are enabled.
  • Free transfers from any server are added to go to lower population servers than the one a character is on, at any time.
  • Queues prohibit more than 4000 active characters on any given realm. Hard limit outside of the first phase of an expansion.

The problem is not low population servers. The problem is that Blizzard has allowed megaservers to exist. Even just adding the queue and sticking to it, would have prevented megaservers, and adding the queue and slowly bringing it down can reverse the trend right now.

Blizzard could start with a queue of 12k and then progressively drop it, being loud and open about what they’re doing and why. Provide free transfers off the megaservers to mid range servers until they start to fill up. This is a solveable problem, if Blizzard is willing to change their mind and actually make the hard calls that will change behavior.

And if Blizzard is not willing to do all that, well the point is moot, because they also won’t add RDF back in.

3 Likes

SoM did fail but it has nothing to do with leveling or servers. They released it to the community right after vanilla had concluded. If they’d waited until after Wrath it would have been a lot more populated. Not many people want to play vanilla after just having played vanilla.

It failed because most people just wanted fresh servers but blizzard made SoM a hardcore race to beat raids.

1 Like

It was too close on the heels of Classic, it had to compete with TBCC, most people wanting to do the Fresh thing just wanted the same game perhaps with some common sense alterations like addressing WBs, boosting and gold sales and not the litany of other changes that went into “improving” the experience.

SoM would have made more sense going into Wrath for the people who might not be keen on going into Wrath.

2 Likes

So did a big chunk of the playerbase.

Some people might play that way but blizzard changed the game to specifically cater to it and well turns out not many people actually wanted it.

There’s too many people keen on Wrath. SoM would be most successful along Cata, which is a lot less attractive to the common Classic player.

That gives real rewards lol.

Its how wit rebirth I actually complete sets. this season is…the set rng will not give me the other half. Okay…lets do this one more time.

Pick the best of doubles…cube the trash. profit…

Yea well thats because its Cata. If anyone really wants that Id have to question the legitimacy to their claim of being a classic player. There’s already plenty of that to go around and we’re still two months away of Wrath Classic.

It seems to be more of a case of:

“You think you do, but we’ll make sure you never do again.”