WW monk in dragonflight feedback

After much discussion with other windwalkers, I think I have some great suggestions going into dragonflight!

Between xuen and 2 images, windwalker monk’s burst damage is centered around pets. This doesn’t fit the class fantasy and feels weird, we’re not Beast mastery hunters. The orginal tigereye brew mechanic was extremely unique and engaging and many would rejoice in it’s return. In the past, Windwalker damage was more centered around fists of fury. This type of damage profile felt SIGNIFICANTLY better and was the most fun thing in the game with Fists of Fury stun.
Chi explosion also holds a very special place in all of our hearts, please bring it back <3

25 Likes

I’ve been saying this for years. The first iteration of Windwalker was the best. It required tremendous upkeep for unrivaled power rewards, and had full control of itself. What it was changed to in Legion was just an abomination. I love class overhauls, but Windwalker’s change was a disaster. It’s just a pet spec now, and lost half of its abilities and almost all its mechanics.

11 Likes

We’ve been asking for a reworked TEB for years. A little birdie has told me it’s in the potential works.

The pet playstyle is perfectly fine for how it’s designed, but it needs to be leaned heavily into if it’s going to be how it is.

Spec literally just needs TEB back + its mastery and it’s a good spec again.

3 Likes

Been saying this since the change!

As a fairly standard cooldown, TEB was fine during MoP. It was only when the mastery into WoD was nerfed from potency to uptime that TEB suddenly sucked (we should blame RoRo, not Monk, but that’s not how balance teams think). Having a mastery that only increased TEB uptime instead of throughput was miserable!

With the mastery changed to Wombo Combo in Legion, TEB could have been a clutch cooldown in lieu of Xuen/SEF (but nobody was too upset with ToD back then).

It does not need the mastery from WoD back. Period. Nothing felt worse than permanently doing 70% other classes damage because balance teams assumed you would stack mastery to maintain your 60% damage buff… And because of the shenanigans they found out first hand with RoRo, they probably wouldn’t make it TEB potency ever again either LOL

I agree with this, I love my WW monk and its playstyle, but I don’t like pet summons as being the damage windows. Doesnt make much sense to me. More brews, more kung fu, less pets :grinning:

7 Likes

More wind walkin’, less celestial talkin’!

11 Likes

I don’t want to choose between Serenity and WDP ever again. I want both. Also, would also like a glyph that changes WDP to Whirling dragon kick please.

3 Likes

CHI EXPLOSION PLeASE!

2 Likes

Celestalon ruined WW in Legion. We need either 5.4 monk back or 6.1 monk back. I miss Chi Explosion and its synergy with TEB. I miss both the original Rushing Jade Wind/FoF combo as well as the Chi Burts/Chi Torpedo (jumping)/RSK combos too. The class was actually fast and fun and fit the fantasy way better than at the moment.

2 Likes

I disagree.

Both Pre and Post Legion WW had/have their merits. It’s just a shame that we can’t pick and choose.

Can you imagine how sick it would be to slap someone full blast with an unmitigated SotWL with SEF/Seren running alongside 10 stacks of TeB?

1 Like

i’d rather have a choice between rsk focus or fof focus, and less focus about xuen and clones
ideally
i’d like to not have clones at all because they’re a super jank cd, but there are likely people who like it and i wouldnt want to take that from people

1 Like

I hate the pet playstyle honestly. I would rather have mid range chi damage\melee combos over stupid pets any day.

Why mess around with pets when you can make WW Monks more like GOKU. What a missed opportunity

3 Likes

Agree - everyday playing windwalker and cursing about images gets very very old not only are we dependant of pets but also they are slow not responsive will spawn anywhere but not on your main target can get ccd (you can CC images + monk at the same time) and much more sometimes they bug out and do not copy the abilites you’ve pressed its just a complete failure of a burst cd.

Xuen on the other hand is fine as he is however his aoe lightning should be smart so he does not break CC when using Xuen also I am not exactly sure why you can CC him also.

Obviously the easiest and best solution would be just to remove this crap ability and go back to tigereye brew however you can definitely fix SEF with what I’ve said above so yeah hopefully they will just literally do anything l

I have also long advocated for a return to 5.2 TEB.
However, I did recognise that there are people who enjoy the current SEF/mastery design.
It was around that time where I started advocating in greater player choice options. Whilst I suggested not to use talent trees, but to have preconfigured builds which match certain eras, and let players choose from them (as this would allow for better tuning); Blizzard have decided to use a talent web system (yes it’s a web, not a tree).

With the talent web system being the way forward for Blizzard, our best solution would be to have a choice of WW mastery options as well as SEF.

On the matter of Xuen. Xuen starts off the expansion as being a large damage contributor, but as the expansion develops Xuen does not scale significantly and SEF is clearly shows as the damage window. As we lose Invokers Delight, that will only become more prominent. The real pity is that competing legendaries, like Xuens battlegear have only just become competitive. Perhaps with the next raid tier and higher ilvls, Xuens battlegear will even take a significant lead over Invokers delight. Actually, with the recent buffs, it may even have a slight but significant ST advantage.

I don’t see Blizzard removing Xuen as baseline as our celestial connection is part of the designed class fantasy. If anything, they should have leaned into it much more. TEB for example, could have had a Xuen flavoured super saiyin-esque visual component.

If returning a TEB option in DG, they should make it so when you hit invoke Xuen, you gain 10 stacks of TEB. Thus giving WW a way to have immediate access to our primary damage boost at the start of an arena/raid fight/dungeon. And that was the biggest issue of TEB - build time. Bloodlust opener? We don’t have our primary damage boost available. WoD ring opener? Same problem and our overall dps suffered because of that.

Storm earth and fire should be something shaman related. The whole shaman theme is storm earth and fire. The shamans in wc3 even said “storm earth and fire, heed my call.” The panda was a sticky note addition at the very end of the wc3 game that they just plugged that name on his ult ability.

Let us ride on our tigers back and delete people.

1 Like

i personally would like to see chi explosion again and WDP baseline so i can use sernity and SEF should be available all the time and only be good for aoe and suck for single target

2 Likes

I think making serenity better might aeluviate the issues with all the damage coming from pets.

Serenity is cool but not particularly fun and kinda short. From a pvp perspective you don’t get much time to take advantage of serenity and images are more often than not rooted or feared.

Serenity should have a component of increasing the duration by 0.5 seconds the more you combo strike.

get rid of the pet reliance and I would main WW all day without hesitation.

1 Like

xuen feels mostly fine, SeF is just not a fun move imo and i dont think anyone at all likes it, it’s clunky and trying to make things work around it feels awful.

when it was first introduced it was a fun little niche tech to do like when you could transcendence to the clone, or try to create spread pressure, but it just feels awful in its current iteration as our single target damage increase and i think everyone would agree TeB was so much more fun and better to use.

i had a love/hate relationship with chi explosion, it felt like it slowed down the playstyle a lot but on the other hand doing huge chi explosions felt really nice, i think the bad taste in my mouth is mostly from WoD windwalker in general with its really weird playstyle

RJW felt really good and felt really cool and iconic, i’d really like to see it come back.

spinning fire blossom is another thing i dearly miss and wish it would come back as well in a form where it’s not competing against other absolutely mandatory talents

the power of touch of karma has been missing for a while and i feel like the whole ability should just be reworked instead of being in the sad state it’s in now, ToK should be a buff on the monk and reflect damage at anyone who attacks them instead of being a debuff on one person or entity in particular imo

another thing i miss but also understand why was removed is paralysis from the back increasing its duration, felt so satisfying to get it off and get a win because of it

I actually like SEF more than Xuen. SEF may be buggy, but it doesn’t break my paras. Though, it felt significantly better back when MotC hurt. This isn’t to say that I hate Xuen though. My favorite version of him was with the Fury of Xuen Azerite Power.

Speaking of PvP Para, is Perpetual Paralysis broken or not functioning atm? I’ve tested it a couple times in BGs and have never seen the two new paras.

1 Like