WTF happened to Guilds?

I’m sure we’re not too far from that. Hell we’re going to have a BG that’s us fighting NPCs soon so I’m sure that’s on their radar

Millions of unsubs. The players left

8 Likes

Blizzard has been systematically destroying Guilds and their functionality for almost a decade now. In the current game you don’t need a guild for anything since everything can be pugged.

5 Likes

Guilds have gotten worse over time. There’s really no reason to be in one with the lack of perks and LFG tools for cross-realm everything. They especially made it worse with the overhaul of the guild UI system, taking away a lot of power from players to organize/run a guild how they wanted it, with Blizzard pigeon-holing players into how they believed a guild should be organized.

4 Likes

The guilds were a way to not to do that. Now, you don’t have to join a guild to avoid that. It also helps that 99.8% of the game has been dumbed down to the point where communication is totally optional.

Lmao! Yes!!!

Guilds are now entirely optional thanks to the solo-friendliness of everything. The path of least resistance is to do everything yourself even if doing so isn’t as rewarding, so that’s what most people do.

Content progression no longer being required has had a huge negative impact, too. If players were required to first progress through Heroic Dungeons, M0, and Uldir to get into Dazar’alor, you’d see a bunch of guilds busy with that right now. Instead, we have insanely strong catchup gear that can be earned solo, removing the need to bother with older content at all and making a guild unnecessary unless you’re doing cutting edge mythic raiding (which only a handful do).

And of course there’s difficulty fatigue, too. The only difference between difficulties of dungeons and raids are numbers and a handful of mechanics; the rest is the same. Same map, same mobs, same bosses. For some people, there’s no point completing the lowest 1-2 difficulties because the spreadsheety differences between those and higher difficulties isn’t large enough of a distinguishing factor. It’s enough to just see the content through LFR/Normal and be done.

Compare this to vanilla or TBC, when getting into a dungeon or raid meant breaking into completely new content rather than the same thing they just completed except with some spikes and mechanics duct taped on. This produced a much stronger desire to actually pursue more difficult group content, even if they end up doing so a cycle or two behind the hardcores.

6 Likes

I wish I could heart this more. I miss guilds being the gate keepers to raiding so much. The current game is just so boring now that everyone can LFR now. I don’t care how much modern players cry now how removing LFR would kill the game for so called “casual players” because I think removing that piece of crap system would actually bring players back. Guild raiding and only have maybe 2 modes of raiding is the way to go. Giving away your most difficult content to create to people AFK through is just a travesty, the game has been limping a long ever since LFR was introduced.

5 Likes

And if you do Ulduar-style hard modes, you don’t even need actual separate modes.

10 Likes

God damn I wish I could upvote this more than once.

2 Likes

Yep, I miss Wrath’s raiding systems a lot.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from. When Cata came out I made a worgen, I normally play as Horde and it was my first Alliance character. I would get guild invites left and right at first. Now when I play that character, standing around in SW or IF, nothing.

Even my current guild is pretty much dead. For the most part it’s just me and a couple other players. This was a guild that would do 25-40 man raids with a huge active roster. It’s been months since the guild leader has even been online. I stick with it though because I’ve seen how hard it is for my Ally toon to get in a guild, don’t want to repeat that on the Horde side.

On Arie peak I used to get mabey like 3 a week, and now I get 1 a month. Not that I’m interested in guilds anyway. I just solo.

I’m so tired of the narrative being controlled by literally like 20-30 forum bums that create this narrative that this game would die out if LFR was removed. It is the same people in every thread just regurgitating the same crap over and over for years. I pretty much gave up on these forums because of it. If you actually spend time on Reddit and other fan sites, there so many x-wow players out there that completely hate the direction the game has taken to cater to people that don’t like MMOs.

I’d wager they far out number the current player base by a huge margin. Blizzard needs to stop listening to these players that demand access to every piece of content without having to put forth any effort like we did in the past.

Keep up the fight Jalen, at least you are one the last people I see actually taking these people head on!

6 Likes

Feels good man!

Much appreciated. It’s definitely hard though :rofl:

Dont need guilds anymore, just lfr and wq titanforge drops. That bypasses need for guild and dramas.

yeah bro! blizzard listened to bads and now its hemmorhaging players! Total feels good!

1 Like

My horde guild was made with my friends during MoP when our old GM suddenly kicked everyone out and sold the old guild. But they all stopped playing after the cape quest was removed. Plus, anytime they start feeling nostalgic, Blizzard does something else stupid, like withholding flying, or requiring old content to unlock new races, to keep them away.

My alliance guild had ~4-500 members through WoD and Legion, with 30-50 online at any given time. Now, we have 4 online during peak hours, and I’m alone most of the time when I’m on. People have just stopped playing WoW.

5 Likes

Horde does seem more active.