WTF happened to Guilds?

BfA killed off a number of guilds, raid teams, and friend lists. It’s a core feature of the expansion.

25 Likes

I get the feeling you didn’t make an alt on Illidan lol.

1 Like

I get the feeling they made alts on 12 dead servers.

I varied the times. I’d ask during 7-11am, 3-6 pm, 6-9pm, and 12-4 am (All EST) to get a good sampling! One of the benefits of being retired.

As stated above I am retired so when the scarcity of Guilds inviting got me curious I went into testing mode!

1 Like

Same as it’s always been, only difference is we don’t have to whisper “inv” to someone that’s posting up a group in chat.

Blizzard took away all the cool stuff about being a guild and built loads of systems to “improve” quality of life while “protecting” players from group/loot abuse. The result is cross realms for everything, shards/phasing, communities, anonymity with everything you do, ease of content so you don’t need groups, and everything end game can be queued for negating need for teamwork and guild making. All this trivial BS has made WoW completely solo’able for the most part.

On top of all of this, Blizzard has created content so difficult on the opposite spectrum that most guilds cannot complete the content and end up falling apart while their members leave for “greener pastures”. The game isn’t designed around the average player that is capable of being challenged.

3 Likes

Oh snap!

4 Likes

I would say the Community Feature almost entirely killed the need for a guild. My raid is normally 50/50 guild and community.

The only benefit to our guild raiders is repairs.

They’re just dying off, I mean most players are leaving by the looks of it. It’s what happens when you have a bad expansion and continue to make bad changes against player’s wants.

5 Likes

What do you mean OP? This is a single player game

1 Like

Dunno what server you’re on but A52 is still packed with this sort of stuff. I see guild recruitment copypastas in raid instances and warfront instances, even.

I’m still looking for a decent guild that ain’t “cult like” and dont get mad if I can’t raid on a specific day or time because of work.

I haven’t had a guild I cared about since the first few months of Warlords of Draenor.

Sadly most of the people I played with in that guild have either quit or they play across a variety of servers. I don’t really raid or care about top of the line end game these days so a guild is mostly pointless to me, I just cross server group with friends if I need to.

I find most of the guilds now are packed with pre-existing cliques of people and trying to get your foot in the door as a new player to said guild is an uphill battle to say the least. The best guilds I’ve had since Warlords are new guilds just getting off the ground but sadly most of those never seem to last with people leaving the game pretty consistently.

I just casually level toons or run old raids for mounts/pets/mogs these days.
I’ve become an extremely casual player and I’m fine with that, I had a solid 10 years as a progression raider ending with Highmaul.

You don’t really need a guild to do anything anymore. Outside of raiding and m+, it’s basically a single player game.

Ive been in the same guild for 6 yrs. I guess it depends if you find the proper fit in a guild. I agree most of the game is easy enough to never need a guild, but a good guild creates a whole otherside to the game that most of you seem to miss out on.

3 Likes

Can I get some NPCs to add to my guild then that have scripted conversations?

1 Like

Why bother grabbing Mythic or Heroic gear when enemies just scale to according to what you’re wearing? Heck, my Heart of Azeroth leveled while I was doing world quests, and I saw the HP on the mob in front of me increase in health immediately after.

3 Likes

Gear is such a trivial part of the game now, it’s kinda sad really.

I remember seeing people in full BWL tier gear for the first time back in Vanilla and thinking it was so badass, now everyone runs around in full “epics”. It’s really just taken away from that feeling of accomplishment that comes with high end raiding.

3 Likes

So you think people who prefer LFR should be forced into a raiding situation.

Most guilds don’t do 5 mans with their members if they’re not part of the top raiding clique.

You mean having to suck up to people who don’t like you in order to get any gear at all? That sounds awful, but I can’t interpret what you are saying any other way.

MMO’s are about having a world full of people you can associate with, not being forced to pretend you’re friends with the right people with the right connections if you want to be permitted to play at all.

8 Likes

Same as me …,